Farvorite Racer

OK, who is your favorite racer and why? When I watched Kenny Sr totally dominate at Laguna in the mid 80's, that was awesome. And he did this after hanging around and playing all the other guys. When he wheelied past Mike Baldwin, when Baldwin was on the brakes, that was it for me!

Well, right now I just have to go with Rossi. I really like the rivalry between Rossi and Biaggi, and I love watching as Rossi torments poor Max, trying to force a mistake. There is a lot of chat regarding Rossi on the M1 verses Biaggi on the RC211V, but I still have to go with Rossi next year. The guy is just too friggin' good!

No doubt about Edwards - especially last season and the moves he put on Bayless at Imola. That has to be one of my favorite all-time races. Still, after such promising testing last winter it just seemed that he and Aprillia could not figure out their bike. I agree that it will be very cool next year with Edwards back on a honda. It is going to be a fantastic MotoGP season. Now only to get a race in the US......

Hmmm. Tough call. Might be Jimmy Filice, with the variety of bikes he's won on and his great personality.

Or... Joey Dunlop comes to mind, with his IOMTT ownership, longevity, yet suddenly gone-too-soon.

It's possible Nicky *may* be someday. It's been far too long since the U.S. had a world champ both in terms of riding skill and a down-home personality. Come to think of it, have we ever had one? Freddie was incredible with a milk-toast way about him. Kenny Sr. won hands down, and no one really wanted to sit down and have a beer with him.

If eBos was (may be) good enough, he'd be a hands down all-time fave.

What is the real question? Who is our personal favorite, or who is the best roadracer of all time?

-jim

Ist is Kenny Sr. Saw him in his AMA days before going to Europe at Sears Point.

He broke his chain during qualifing and had to start dead last. He took over first place before the race was half over and then lapped most of the riders (into the top 10 I think) by the end of the race. I have a great personal picture of him going thru turn 2, late afternoon sun glinting off his gold rims and the fairing side scrapped half way up - he was leaning it over that far!

2nd is Scott Russell - the year he won Daytona after going down in the infield early in the race, catching back up during a yellow caution period and then coming all the way back to wing the race. I still have the Cycle news cover of him leaping back over his fallen bike to pick it up with the caption "Superman" as well as the race on tape.

- Dave B.

Mick Doohan - They would revoke my Australian citizenship if I didn't. :D

Anthony Gobert - His WSBK win at Phillip Island on the Kawasaki in wet and drying conditions was the most spectacular. :blink:

For me it used to be Kevin Schwantz, that was until I learnt more about riding and racing. Now I have to say Rainey of the old crowd.

Of the current crop, who couldn't be in awe of Rossi? Although Haga in WSB was always fun to watch. Keep an eye on Toseland though, WSB champ for 2004? He's been on the Schools you know...

Today, it would have to be Rossi. Anyone who can be penalized ten seconds in a Moto GP race and cut his lap times down enough to overcome the penalty and win the race is truly amazing. Yesterday, I would have to say Freddie Spencer. He accomplished more in one season that no rider may ever be able to repeat.

Lawson, that's another that was pretty amazing what he did. I was really hoping that he would go on and have a big car career, but that doesn't seem to be happening now. Sounds like he's pretty bad-ass in a cart though!

This is a totally unfair question!

As a part-time rider of track days and an occasional school participant ($$ and location, doncha know), I think most of you guys are missing something: the bulk of pro roadracers are really nice guys - on Sunday after the race. (I know enough not to be a bothersome fan between rounds.)

I think this comes from the fact that the track is the enemy, as much or more-so than any competitor.

There are exceptions, of course.

But I have met Anthony Gobert, Miguel DuHamel, Aaron Yates, Rich Oliver, Chuck Sorenson, Jason Pridmore, Dean Mizdal, Eric Bostrom and Doug Chandler when they weren't signing autographs, and their easy manner and grace in speaking to a nobody is quite wonderful. It's one of the things which makes the sport superior to NASCAR or various games involving ballplay.

Yes, if you put Roberts, Sr on the track he'd have to win.

I will also admit that i'd like to see Rossi top Freddie and do both the 250 and Moto-gp in one year, that would be cool.

I will also admit that i'd like to see Rossi top Freddie and do both the 250 and Moto-gp in one year, that would be cool.

sorry dude, that is safe for all time as it was the 500 and 250 in the same year.

Rossi has already unseated Spencer as the youngest to wear the crown in both 250 and 500, has more world titles and will pass Dohan soon and be the all time best.

Will

King Kenny Roberts. because he changed the way we ride and smoked everyone for years. I will never forget standing out side of turn 11 (9 then) at laguna and seeing Baldwin come in with Roberts behind. As Baldwin hit the brakes Roberts passed him on the rear wheel!

Will

I'll be interested how Bayliss is going to do next year, when he's a bit better aquainted with his ride, the tracks and his competition...

He may not be my favorite racer of all time, there are a couple, but I always enjoyed watching his grace and ease on and off the track during his superbike years.

Hey there!

Rossi's playful demeanor certainly makes him very likeable and his riding skills are unbelieveable.

I also have a soft spot for Miguel DuHamel - because he's one of the older riders out there (I'm an older guy) - and Ruben Xaus. Ruben is built more like me. I don't fit the under 5'10, 150 lbs model of most of the racers. So I like to watch Ruben. In addition to being good, I think I might get some insights copying his style.

From the last century :lol:, I'd go with Wayne Rainey.

H-man

Hi John,

King Carl? Mr Attitude? You can tell you're form up Norf! :D