Rear Suspension And Gas

For that point, I agree with Willy. Yes, you can accelerate with your foot on the rear brake. Then, since the caliper is fixed on the swingarm (not only through a bearing like with the wheel), the rear caliper try, during braking, to lower the swingarm pivot and then compress the shock, even during a acceleration... You have then a little more rear grip due to the little squat rear weight transfer, but less driving force because the brake application. Then you can change for a moment your geometry with the rear brake application... :)

What would be the use or application for this (using the rear brake during acceleration)?

CF

I'll try to kill two birds with one stone in my reply here.

1. The phenomenen of the rear of a bike rising under acceleration is known as anti-squat. Read pages 79-83 of Andrew Trevitt's Sportbike Suspension Tuning for a more detailed explanation.

2. Use of the rear brake when accelerating: The best place I can think of this being an advantage is going through turn 11 at Road Atlanta under the bridge. Give the bike a little rear brake as you're going under the bridge (remember you're cresting a hill at the same time) and the bike will be more planted. Can't remember exactly why it works, but it's something I picked up at the Pridmore School there a few years ago. I do know the rear end won't feel so squirrely if you do this.

RDR

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll try to kill two birds with one stone in my reply here.

1. The phenomenen of the rear of a bike rising under acceleration is known as anti-squat. Read pages 79-83 of Andrew Trevitt's Sportbike Suspension Tuning for a more detailed explanation.

2. Use of the rear brake when accelerating: The best place I can think of this being an advantage is going through turn 11 at Road Atlanta under the bridge. Give the bike a little rear brake as you're going under the bridge (remember you're cresting a hill at the same time) and the bike will be more planted. Can't remember exactly why it works, but it's something I picked up at the Pridmore School there a few years ago. I do know the rear end won't feel so squirrely if you do this.

RDR

Did you find it easy to do? Using my rear brake while in a turn, when I'm wanting to get back on the gas early...maybe those guys delay getting on the gas, but not sure why.

C