So, Has Anybody Seen A Better Race (on Us Soil At Least) Recently Than

That was epic, wasn't it. Vale was able to think himself half a second faster per lap in order to match Stoner, and to out-muscle him as well, and to run at lap record pace for 30 odd laps around Laguna, faster than he had managed even once in Qualifying and in Warm-up... absolutely unbelievable.

Obviously we all want to be the best that we can be, and we all weant to learn from watching the best, but sometimes you just have to take your hat off and bow befoer sheer undeniable genius in action...

Well we watched it in our local pub (bar to you) and even people who have never seen Moto gp before were rivetted to it, shame Stoner dropped it before the end. Also Lorenzo was looking good in the short time he stayed upright.. maybe he could do with attending the school to hone his undoubted talent! I did however take exception to Stoners comments about Vale's riding, i didn't see anything dangerous or out of order, actually just proper racing as it used to be. :)

Well we watched it in our local pub (bar to you) and even people who have never seen Moto gp before were rivetted to it, shame Stoner dropped it before the end. Also Lorenzo was looking good in the short time he stayed upright.. maybe he could do with attending the school to hone his undoubted talent! I did however take exception to Stoners comments about Vale's riding, i didn't see anything dangerous or out of order, actually just proper racing as it used to be. :)

We didn't even get an interview with Stoner and Valentino and Chris---a very short one right before the podium with Rossi only. TV coverage in this country pretty much sucks. If they even commented on the lap times, and compared them to qaulifying, I missed it.

Half our crew was up at the race, I was back home watching on the tube. Man, I think I scared my kids I was yelling and hollering like a fool (or an enthusiast). That pass Rossi did on the inside of the exit of the Corkscrew was magnificent. He just used it like it was another part of the track, masterful.

Stoner rides well no doubt, but the pressure that Rossi kept up was virtually flawless, and Stoner just cracked after a while.

it was amazin, shame that dani was unable to race as the 3 of them have raised the bar so high! I think that Stoner has lost alot of respect from everyone now by refusing to shake Valentinos hand and accusing him of being dangerous! His job is to win races and he did his job to the max on Sunday! Stoner crashed out of 2nd and still finished 2nd 13 seconds in front of Vermulen that is amazing its self!

I hope Nicky Hayden has a better season after the summer break, it is rumoured that he wont be with repsol Honda next year but probability Ducati, I think his riding style will suit that bike!

That was epic, wasn't it. Vale was able to think himself half a second faster per lap in order to match Stoner, and to out-muscle him as well, and to run at lap record pace for 30 odd laps around Laguna, faster than he had managed even once in Qualifying and in Warm-up... absolutely unbelievable.

Obviously we all want to be the best that we can be, and we all weant to learn from watching the best, but sometimes you just have to take your hat off and bow befoer sheer undeniable genius in action...

"Epic" says it all. I also agree with Cobie's comment: "...the pressure that Rossi kept up was virtually flawless, and Stoner just cracked after a while".

Rossi had an answer for everything Stoner threw at him and even if it had gone all 32 laps, I don't know if the results would have been any different.

Kevin Kane

We didn't even see or know about Stoner not wanting to shake Rossi's hand--was that on the tele?

I thought they were both going at it hammer and tong, neither giving an inch, I don't know what Casey is on about.

I did read something today about him in our Cycle News, in that he has befriended the young American I think it's JD Beach, who has done well in the Red Bull Cup. Anyway, the magazine reported that Stoner helps Beach with his riding and that Beach stays with him in his motor home and sometimes at his home in Monaco. I just thought that cool someone as young as Stoner reaching out to help a younger racer.

We didn't even see or know about Stoner not wanting to shake Rossi's hand--was that on the tele?

I rewatched the race last night and it shows Stoner shaking Rossi's hand as they stepped onto the podium so I don't know where that comment came from either.

Kevin

he did shake his hand on the podium but refused in parc feme after the race! it is big news in our weekly motorcycle news, It has Stoner saying Ive lost respect for one of the greatest riders in history!

he did shake his hand on the podium but refused in parc feme after the race! it is big news in our weekly motorcycle news, It has Stoner saying Ive lost respect for one of the greatest riders in history!

OK showing my ignorance-- what is "in parc feme?"

C

Oh sorry must be called something different in America! It is the area where after the race the top 3 bikes line up and all 3 riders get interviewed by all the tv companies it is immediately after the race before the podiums, I wonder if maybe your tv company goes to commercial break at this piont!

Oh sorry must be called something different in America! It is the area where after the race the top 3 bikes line up and all 3 riders get interviewed by all the tv companies it is immediately after the race before the podiums, I wonder if maybe your tv company goes to commercial break at this piont!

Our broadcast showed some of it (in parc feme) and it was where Rossi was interviewed by the network carrying the US feed of the race. It also showed prior to his interview Rossi exchanging congratulations with his crew and fans while Stoner and Vermeulen were with their people but also (appearing) to be joking with each other as well. If there was "an exchange" between them, I didn't see it.

Kevin

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sp...mp;R=EPI-101872

here is a link to motorcycle news regarding what went on between Stoner and Rossi!

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sp...mp;R=EPI-101872

here is a link to motorcycle news regarding what went on between Stoner and Rossi!

I read that, and it didn't seem that bad to me. But I didn't SEE what he did, or refusing the handshake.

There were some aggressive passes for sure, but Rossi ran off on the right hand downhill of the Corkscrew and when he came back on, I didn't think he used up too much track. One of my coaches was in the Corkscrew at the time, and he said Stoner just rolled off and watched Rossi, and that he could have passed him at that time.

I unfortunately deleted the thing, so can't go back and review it (I know, that was dumb, my wife already busted me on it).

C

I downloaded the Eurosport feed today and there was no "exchange" between Rossi and Stoner in parc ferme. Saying that Stoner refused to shake Val's hand is a mischaracterization that implies Rossi offered his hand and Casey refused to shake it. That never happened.

What happened in the corkscrew was racing. Period. Sure, it was close. Sure it was an aggressive pass and Rossi overcooked it and ran off. But Stoner had full view of what was happening as it developed and every opportunity to avoid Rossi had he lost it coming back onto the track. That said, what Rossi did happens there on a regular basis and I have seen many other riders do it. To someone not fmailiar with that type of riding, it probably looked scarier than it was as Rossi bumped back onto the track. I admit I sucked in my breath watching it. That said, it was an awesome battle and none of the other passes had anything wrong with them.

Ironically, the last few laps of WSB Race 2 last week were WAY WAY WAY more aggressive and risky as Max Biaggi and Fabrizio overtook Troy Corser as his tires went off and then battled with each other. They repeatedly forced each other to back off and roll out mid-corner and risk running wide or off the track or choose to be hit. They also ran each other off the track at the exits if the other was on the outside. (That's racing!)

Rossi and Stoner were no match for that show. Casey's remarks sound like a whinging little kid. He needs to man up and take it on the chin. What a wanker.

ETA: It must have been the full moon. The announcers at the WSB race were daying the same thing as the Motogp announcers that it was the best racing they had seen in years and what everyone had been waiting for, etc.

I downloaded the Eurosport feed today and there was no "exchange" between Rossi and Stoner in parc ferme. Saying that Stoner refused to shake Val's hand is a mischaracterization that implies Rossi offered his hand and Casey refused to shake it. That never happened.

Actually, it did happen - right in front of the BBC camera in piarc ferme and in front of the BBC guy who was waiting to interview the three podium finishers. Sadly, although the coverage is available online via BBC i-player, that won't work for you if you are outside the UK...

Actually, it did happen - right in front of the BBC camera in piarc ferme and in front of the BBC guy who was waiting to interview the three podium finishers. Sadly, although the coverage is available online via BBC i-player, that won't work for you if you are outside the UK...

I can download the BBC broadcast feed just as easily as Eurosport. I'll watch the BBC feed when I have time but the Eurosport feed never left parc ferme as I recall. So unless you saw it with your own eyes, I'd be interested to hear your source directly.

everyone watching the BBC saw it with there own eyes, and he definately did refuse to shake Vales hand!

everyone watching the BBC saw it with there own eyes, and he definately did refuse to shake Vales hand!

OK then. I'll download the BBC feed after work tomorrow night and check it out. If it is true, I think it's pretty poor sportsmanship and professionalism on Casey's part and reflects on everyone in the paddock. He is young and he was undoubtedly upset about the way he beat himself. So taking that and his other positive attributes off-track into consideration, I can reserve any judgment and hope he learns to control his emotions in public for his own sake and the sake of the sport in the eyes of the public. The bottom line is that he made his own bed and lost fair and square. That's racing. At his level, he should know that.

Stoner did refuse to shake Rossi's hand in the 'parc ferme'. Stoner was getting ready to do an interview, when Rossi walked up to him with his hand out and a smile. Stoner shook his head and said no, no, and turned back to the interview obviously upset.

The US telecast was live. I'm sure it was later edited out for PR reasons. I was disappointed we didnt get to see the 'official' after race interviews.

Stoner did refuse to shake Rossi's hand in the 'parc ferme'. Stoner was getting ready to do an interview, when Rossi walked up to him with his hand out and a smile. Stoner shook his head and said no, no, and turned back to the interview obviously upset.

The US telecast was live. I'm sure it was later edited out for PR reasons. I was disappointed we didnt get to see the 'official' after race interviews.

Hey 2big--how did you see that, and the rest of us didn't?

C

C

Probably because he watched it "live" and the rest of us watched the edited post-production version that was broadcast later.

I watched the Eurosport broadcast again and the announcers do vaguely refer to something in parc ferme that the viewers don't see on camera.

OK showing my ignorance-- what is "in parc feme?"

C

From Wikipedia:

"Parc fermé, literally meaning "closed park" in French, is a term used to describe a secure area at a Grand Prix circuit where the cars may be stored overnight. According to the FIA Formula One regulations, the area must be "sufficiently large and secure so as to prevent unauthorised access to the cars, while allowing scrutineering to take place.

Essentially, cars in this area must not be touched by anyone without express permission of the FIA Stewards."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parc_ferm%C3%A9

I suppose that the FIM version is slightly modified. If, for instance, there was a mechanical protest or claim filed, the bikes would be moved to a secure garage area. I don't know the rules for MotoGP but being a Formula type class, there probably aren't many things to protest anyway. But here in the US, all races used to be "claiming races" where, for instance, any bike in a controlled class like Supersport could be protested or claimed. The top three were subject to a post race tear down as a matter of course and the top ten were subject to random teardown inspections to look for signs of cheating like tooling marks on the mating sufaces of the head or cylinders, etc. If the winning bike failed a teardown inspection, the result was disqualified and, if claimed, the owner lost the bike. It helped to keep down the likelihood of fat wallet winners (ie. spending mega-bucks building exorbitantly modified bikes) if they can be claimed for $1 or whatever. I believe the term originated in horse racing where a post-race sale price had to be declared prior to the race. In motorsports it works a little differently as the price is set by the samctioning body and is the same for all bikes.

C

I was watching it on CBS in Oregon. KLCS channel 10, I think. I cant imagine it would be a different broadcast in LA.

I just watched the post race scene on my DVR, recorded from KCBS channel 2, and it wasnt on there.

Could KCBS be on a short delay and it was edited out? The track fly over while Schwantz and white talked about the race seemed alot longer.

Edit: I found a video link of their spat.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...kes/7516543.stm

Thanks for the link, 2big.

I don't know if I would call it a spat. When Stoner didn't shake his hand, Rossi patted him on the shoulder and said, "This is racing, 'k?" in a manner that could be construed as patronizing I suppose. Stoner shook his head and said, "No" to the handshake. And then replied, "Ok, this is racing. Be seein' ya" to the pat on the shoulder.

Whatever. I know some people might say Rossi was/is smug. I don't feel him that way at all. But that's me. On the other hand, I think Stoner came off looking pretty bad. I mean really. Like a pissy little girl in a snit. Sorry. I really can't get behind that sort of thing at his level. So, I don't really have much sympathy for Casey. He chose this career. He gets paid mega-bucks to do what he loves. And at the end of the day, he WON second place! If Vale did something wrong then file a protest. If you can't run with the big dogs... get a job. But don't use the winner's podium to whinge on international TV.

My own general opinion of the on-track events is that while what happened in the corkscrew was unfortunate, it certainly wasn't intentional. And though I can see why Stoner wouldn't be happy about Rossi's riding technique on the day (obviously... he was faster yet lost), I really don't see what he has to complain about. But then I've found myself facing the fists of unhappy competitors in the paddock more than once... he he he. Maybe I'm missing something somewhere.... ?

Club racing we all have to go to work on Monday, so, we try not to put each other into situations where we would have to choose between contact or running off (not that anybody did that); but... at their level? Please. Indycar racing has a rule against "unavoidable contact" or some such thing, but, handlebar to handlebar fairing bashing is what people want to see. That's what makes it exciting. That's what makes it motorcycle racing.

Bottom line, while it isn't mano a mano, motorcycle racing is definitely tete a tete and all that implies from the physical to the psychological and everything in between. Rossi won the psychological game by about lap two. He succeeded in rattling Casey and pulling him off his square right from the start. You could clearly see it in his riding. Rossi spent days setting us up, even telling the TV cam's that he didn't have a chance of winning (THAT should have been a clue that something was afoot!). Casey probably wasn't expecting to see Rossi after the first lap, much less be treated to a heaping helping of the wilder side of full moon Vali coming back at him from the apex of the corkscrew and hot on the brakes everywhere else. Most importantly, Casey allowed himself to be rattled. He became emotional. And remained emotional. Of course. He's a young man. And whether or not Rossi intended it, Casey handed that advantage to him. (What's that old saying about age and guile or wisdom overcoming youth and vigor?)

Trust is a major part of being able to go handlebar to handlebar with another rider, but, I didn't see Rossi force Casey off, make any contact (intentional or otherwise) or leave him without an option anywhere. In fairness to Casey (as if he cares what I think), I will watch the race again tonight. Maybe I missed something.

So, um... do you have an opinion about any of that, 2big? Do you think Rossi's riding was "over the top"? What about Stoner's interview?

Hey, what did Danica Patrick say to that chick last week? "It's not my fault you're slow...". HAHAHAHAHA. She kills me. What a shame she married her manager instead of me.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedishrag.../07/post-2.html

Oh... and was that a security person blocking Rossi past Stoner on his way out of the interview so that he couldn't approach him again? :P