So, Has Anybody Seen A Better Race (on Us Soil At Least) Recently Than

I agree. I dont think Rossi rode overly aggressive. (Not like when he hit Gibernau anyway) Rossi just road like the seasoned champion he is. Rossi knew he couldnt run away from Stoner, so he road a defensive race and out foxed him

Hopefully Stoner will not let Rossi get under his skin and chalk it up as a lessoned learned from a true master. Then that rival the media has always wanted will happen.

I agree. I dont think Rossi rode overly aggressive. (Not like when he hit Gibernau anyway) Rossi just road like the seasoned champion he is. Rossi knew he couldnt run away from Stoner, so he road a defensive race and out foxed him

Right. Like a true master, Rossi used the tools available and made the best of the advantages he did have... better on the brakes in this case... and did everything he could to keep Casey behind him. He immediately came back after every pass, never giving Stoner the chance to get away. Although, I have to say that Rossi's bike seemed faster than it did in practice. Sure, he made up a lot on the brakes, but, aside from the front straight, Casey didn't seem to be really pulling him much anywhere. Rossi couldn't have made up the difference from qualifying all on the brakes, eh? I'll have to re-check the qualifying/practice times. I thought Casey had a major gap on him at the pole.

Hopefully Stoner will not let Rossi get under his skin and chalk it up as a lessoned learned from a true master. Then that rival the media has always wanted will happen.

Heh. I missed Rossi hitting Gibernau! (Uh-oh!) :( When was that?

Heh. I missed Rossi hitting Gibernau! (Uh-oh!) :( When was that?

That was a great rivalry, Qatar 2004 Rossi got moved to the back of the grid because someone reported to race conrol that Rossi`s crew were doing burnouts on his starting position with a scooter the night before the race to help give an advantage at the start, ( Max Biaggi got moved to the back for the same thing that weekend)! Without evidence Valentino put blame on Sete Gibernau for reporting him, in the race Valentino fought from last place to 4th before crashing out, Sete won that race and was now leading the championship with 3 races to go, in a press conference later Vale allegedly cursed Sete and said you will never win another race, Sete never won another race for the rest of his moto gp career (eerie)!

Or maybe 2bigalow was reffering to the last lap battle on the first race of 2005

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yFy3rqE_pqk&...feature=related

Although I am not a big fan of Casey Stoner (meaning he's not who I cheer for) I do respect all racers at all levels and he is the world champion and getting into a rivalry with someone like Rossi will go down in history, in my opinion all the best racers had a great rival! (the list is endless)

It is rumoured that Sete will be back this season on Melandri`s bike, so dont you think the Stoner PR machine has to get rolling before Rossi`s last great rival returns on the World championship winning machine!

I missed all that. I was living overseas without access 2003-2004. i didn't bother to turn the TV on when I got back. And now that I'm hooked up with torrent protocol and similar download sites for movies , I don't have much use for cable TV. I have free basic cable included here, but, I wouldn't bother to hook it up otherwise. How's that old Simon and Garfunkel song go? "I gather all the news I need from the weather report..."

I'll try to track down those races you mentioned, acebobby.

I vaguely remember something about a couple of racers getting into it in the stairwell between the podium and the post race interview TV broadcast room not too long ago. Maybe I was watching an old race I downloaded. Everyone ended up in front of the cameras in the interview room looking ruffled and redfaced. I thought that was somebody else...

My mistake on the punch, edited my post, it was in the stairwell to the podium at Catalunia 2002 where he got in a fight with Max Biaggi, in the press conference Max was asked what happened to his face and he said a mosquito bit him! can be seen in the documentry Faster!

Yeah, Biaggi. That's what I recalled. I thot that was pretty funny.

I guess being linked with Valentino and playing it up for the media couldn't hurt Casey's career either...

Well, I decided to download and watch WSB Race #1 of Round #8 from San Marino this afternoon (the race where Fabrizio took out Biaggi with Rossi spectating) and all I can say is WOW!

Honestly, all in all, IMO, the WSB races are FAR more intensely competitive and entertaining than any of the MotoGP's I've seen this year so far. The front six or eight riders are so good and closely matched on machinery with different strengths that every race (that I've seen) is a total furball. The leaderboard swaps out so often that I can hardly keep track of who is where from corner to corner. Of course, the WSB machinery lends itself to dicing it up and hanging it all out, but, man, it's truly inspiring stuff. God, I remember that feeling and it makes me wonder why I ever stopped.

I've decided that I am definitely getting a new bike and going racing again next year. With the demise of the AMA 250GP I should be able to find a newer TZ250 for < $5k... :P

I've decided that I am definitely getting a new bike and going racing again next year. With the demise of the AMA 250GP I should be able to find a newer TZ250 for < $5k... :P

Well good luck with that racer, let us know how that goes!

I've got a friend that has got one in pieces in a garage--never put it back together after he crashed it last. I'll shoot him a note, see if he wants to part with it. He's had it there for a while, so likely not in a hurry.

C

I know it's old but I had to respond to the comments about Rossi hitting Gibernau. If you go back to that last lap where Gibernau ends up off-course, you'll see that Rossi got underneath him because Sete ran wide and ran into Rossi. Rossi then came wide at the exit of the last turn on the last lap and kept pushing until Sete was in the dirt. Rossi said it was a mistake that he didn't mean to run that wide on exit, but personally I don't believe him. But IMHO, Sete did it to himself cause Rossi got in his head. I can't wait to see what'll happen when he saddles back up (this is gonna be good, now that he has an ally in Casey).

I dont know if you could say that Gibernau has an ally in Stoner, iIf you remember Portugal 2006 it was Stoner that wiped Gibernau out of the race forcing him into retirement, then to rub salt in the wounds he took over from Sete at Ducati! Stoner has had it all his own way at Ducati since he seems to be the only rider out there that can be competitive on the bike! Now it looks like Gibernau is set to return and he tested the bike at Mugello within 10ths of Stoners best lap time so it should be interesting.

I dont know if you could say that Gibernau has an ally in Stoner, iIf you remember Portugal 2006 it was Stoner that wiped Gibernau out of the race forcing him into retirement, then to rub salt in the wounds he took over from Sete at Ducati! Stoner has had it all his own way at Ducati since he seems to be the only rider out there that can be competitive on the bike! Now it looks like Gibernau is set to return and he tested the bike at Mugello within 10ths of Stoners best lap time so it should be interesting.

He's a good rider, we'll see if he can keep the rest together.

So I'm just thinkin' out loud here for arguement (fantasy racing really), but what IF.....Rossis stays competitive on the Y bike. Stoner does the same on the D bike. Sete or Nicky (if the rumor is true) becomes Stoner's team mate and takes well to the D bike. And for more added argument, Biaggi also comes back to a GP satellite D team and teams with whom ever doesnt get the factory ride.

Lets here it.... :o

oh, and why not throw P-bot (pedrosa) into the mix too.

I've got a friend that has got one in pieces in a garage--never put it back together after he crashed it last. I'll shoot him a note, see if he wants to part with it. He's had it there for a while, so likely not in a hurry.

C

Thanks.

So I'm just thinkin' out loud here for arguement (fantasy racing really), but what IF.....Rossis stays competitive on the Y bike. Stoner does the same on the D bike. Sete or Nicky (if the rumor is true) becomes Stoner's team mate and takes well to the D bike. And for more added argument, Biaggi also comes back to a GP satellite D team and teams with whom ever doesnt get the factory ride.

Lets here it.... :o

oh, and why not throw P-bot (pedrosa) into the mix too.

This is good for the motogp if Ducati can have more than 1 competitive rider! This is how I think it will turn out ( fantasy racing)! Factory D, Nicky and Casey how many teams you seen where both riders have won the World championship! ( Ithink that bike will suit Nickys riding style better) satellite D could turn out to be a bit of a dream team so lets say Biaggi and Gibernau! Factory Y of course we have what Colin Edwards calls the GOAT (greatest of all time) Rossi and lets not forget about his team mate Lorenzo thats where there is a twist though, Bridgestone vs Michelin (control tyre any one). This is where P-bot comes in as the only consistant michelin rider so if Michelin get there tyres up to standard on a consistant basis look out for the tech3 guys fighting for the top spot every other week too!

Remember when they changed motogp from 500s to 990s Honda dominated for the first few years (until thier own champion moved to yamaha and beat them lol)! But the point is it took a few years for every one to get up to speed, so the 3rd year in the 800 class the bikes will be more even, the tyre issues should be sorted out and we have the top 18-20 guys in the world every one a champion at sometime whether it be motogp, 250s, 125s, WSB, supersport or whatever every guy on the grid has won a championship!

Hope the grids get a little bigger.

C

Yeah hopefully Kenny Roberts gets his Las Vegas deal together and gets a team back in it!