Survival Lesson

Keith Code

Cobie,

Hope you have a great season. Wish i could say that i've started as well.

But at the moment it's snowing over here.

The crash stats are'nt going anywhere so take your time. But keep me posted, i'm interested to see the U.S. figures.

All the best,

Mike

Where did you go to get your stats from? Wonder if the AMA has them here...

Cobie,

In Holland we have a foundation that does scientific research on traffic-safety issues called S.W.O.V.

I've got the stats from them.

Best,

Mike

It would be interesting to see racetrack crash stats too. But that would be a task to get it accurate!

CF

Very interesting indeed, but unfortunately nobody that i know of keeps track of these stats.

Will inquire though, you never know!?

Mike

• 7 years later...

"So what are we talking about here, weaving some cones in the parking lot at 7 MPH? No, we are talking about the average speed of an auto / motorcycle accident, our worst enemy, and that is 28 MPH. We're talking about a disembodied car muffler turning lazy circles in your lane or a truck tire tread flipped into the air or the refrigerator that just fell off a pickup truck, a car, a kid, a ball, a dog, a traffic cone... , anything where a faint hearted attempt simply won't cut it. And the usual result? ? Cream the brakes, and that's nothing more than panic reactions winning. That's one for the obstacle, zero for you."

Very interesting article, and very good to live (long) by, however, In defense of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation curriculum, I must say that we do more than just weave cones at 7 mph. We teach foundations of technique that are carried over into the real world. There is much experience to be had indeed, but the foundations must be solid.

The Experienced Rider Course (ERC) exercise #8, Hazard Avoidance: Swerving and Stopping Quickly. The students approach the barrier at 15-20 in 2nd gear, swerve between the gate cones and the obstacle in the given direction, downshift to first and stop after straightening. The cue cones are 17' from the barrier and 3' apart. The barrier represents a stopped truck.

The points that we look for are keeping head and eyes up, speed control, separate braking from swerving, and keeping the upper body calm - independent of motorcycle lean.

We want them to live long enough to come and see you...

Terri Reid

Naval Base Ventura County

Having taken the basic rider and advanced rider course at NJMSF, I must concur with Terri. We learned how to do this at 25-30 mph for both 'simple' hazard as well as a complex 'don't hit the bus' avoidance quick turn as part of the class requirements. For the basic class, this was go/no-go to pass the class and get our license. Besides hazard avoidance, we also had to brake to amcontrolled stop in a minimum stopping distance with control.

I have used this technique at least 3 times in the 3+ years of riding. Believe me, it's really hard to pull off on a 690 pound Honda Fury. Recently picked up a BMW K1300s and will take the advanced class with it, but not until I've taken the CSS Level 1 class in August at Thunderbolt!!

• 4 weeks later...

Keith,

You can be sure I will practice quick flicking every time I'm out from now on.

Thanks,

Nic