The Bad Side - Lefts Or Rights?

Keith Code

There are technical points concerning a rider's fear of making either right or left hand turns. Many riders have this fear and it's frustrating. Scores of riders have complained to me about this with a sheepish sort of approach and "admitted" they were perplexed by it. Rightfully so, roughly 50% of their turns were being hampered by an unknown, un-categorized, seemingly unapproachable fear having no apparent source and no apparent reasoning behind it. Out of desperation for an answer riders have blamed their inability on being right or left handed, mysterious brain malfunctions and a host of other equally dead end "nonsense solutions"; nonsense because none of them answered their questions or addressed the hesitance, uncertainty and fear. Having a fear of right turns would be the worst if you lived in Kansas or Nebraska where practically the only turns worth the title are freeway on and off ramps. If you went "ramping" with your friends, "doing the cloverleaf", round and round, you'd be at the back of the pack . Anxiety on lefts would exclude you from the dirt track racing business for sure but mainly we are talking about day to day riding and any such apprehension as this (and there are others) spoils a rider's confidence, making him somewhat gun shy. There are actually three reasons why you could have this unidirectional phobia (fear) and all three contain an inordinate amount of some emotional response that runs from suspicion and distrust to mild panic and a dose of plain old anxiety dropped into the middle for good measure. By the way, if you consider yourself in this category of rider, count your blessings, many riders have bidirectional phobia and it's only by their force of will and love of freedom that they persist in their riding at all!

First Reason

Reason number one for this fear is that you crashed on the right or left at sometime and the relatively indelible mental scar is still on the mend but remains a more or less hidden and nagging source of irritation. The part of the mind that is concerned with survival does not easily forget and the proof is that our species still exists.

There have no doubt been other more pressing problems along the way that have tried and tested Man in his effort to put order into his environment. The fact that the incident of a crash drops down to an obscure sub-level of awareness is not a help in this, or perhaps any other case, as it can affect our riding from there and can add an unpredictable element to our riding.

You may gain some control over this with practice but the oddest part of it is that if one hasn't ridden for a while this apprehension of turning right or left can return in force... provided it springs from this particular source. In the technology of the mind and according to the discipline of Dianetics, these incidents are stored in what is called the Reactive Mind, for the obvious reason that one finds himself reacting to, rather than being coactive with, some circumstance. In this case, right or left turns.

Second Reason

In the discipline of riding technology we have the act and activity of counter-steering to contend with. Here a rider may have become confused, in a panic of some sort, and gone back to another variety of "survival response" that pressed him into turning the bike's bars in the direction he wanted to go rather than doing the correct (and backwards from other vehicle's steering) action of counter-steering. That instant of confusion has stopped many riders cold in their tracks, never to twist their wrist again and pleasure themselves with motorcycle riding.

Turn left to go right push the right bar to go right, its the thing that eludes us in that panic situation (statistically) more commonly than anything save only the overuse and locking of the rear brake.

When you dissect this confusion regarding the counter-steering process you see that it is possibly more devastating than the rear end lock up, even though both have the same result, the bike goes straight, and often straight into that which we were trying to avoid. Basics prevail--You can only do two things on a motorcycle, change its speed and change its direction. Confusion on counter-steering locks up the individual's senses tighter than a transmission run without oil and reduces those two necessary control factors down to one...A bad deal in anyone's book.

Third Reason

The third possible reason for being irrational about rights and lefts is the one that has solved it more often than not--practice. Applying the drill sergeant's viewpoint of repeatedly training the rider to practice and eventually master the maneuver is a very practical solution. I suppose this one falls under the heading of the discipline of rider dynamics. And a casual inspection of riders will show you the following: Ninety-five percent of all riders push the bike down and away from their body to initiate a turn or steering action, especially when attempting to do it rapidly. Rapidly meaning something on the order of how fast you would have to turn your bike if someone stopped quickly in front of you and you wanted to simply ride around them; or avoid a pothole or a rock or any obstacle.

For example, a muffler falls off the car in front on the freeway at 60 m.p.h., that's eighty-eight feet per second of headway you are making down the road. Despite the fact you've left a generous forty feet between you and the car, that translates into one half second to get the bike's direction diverted, including your reaction time to begin the steering process. We're talking about a couple of tenths of a second here--right now.

This procedure riders have of pushing the bike down and away from themselves to steer it seems like an automatic response and is most probably an attempt to keep oneself in the normally correct relationship to the planet and its gravity, namely, vertically oriented or perpendicular to the ground. This is a good idea for walking, sitting and standing--but not for riding. When you stay "on top" of the bike, pushing it under and away, you actually commit a number of riding dynamics sins. The first of which is the bad passenger syndrome."

Bad Passenger

Bad passengers lean the wrong way on the bike. They position themselves in perfect discord--counter to your intended lean, steering and cornering sensibilities. So do you when you push the bike away from yourself, or hold your body rigidly upright on the bike--very stately looking, very cool but ultimately it's an inefficient rider position. The most usual solution to a bad passenger's efforts to go against the bike's cornering lean angle is brow beating them and threaten "no more rides." But how do you fix this tendency in yourself?

A bad passenger makes you correct your steering and eventually become wary of their actions and the bike's response to them. This ultimately leads to becoming tense on the bike while in turns. Pushing the bike away from yourself or sitting rigidly upright while riding solo has the same effect.

Hung Off Upright

Hang off style riders don't think this applies to them but it does. Many riders are still pushing the bike under themselves while hung off. Look through some race photos especially on the club and national level and you will easily see that some are still trying to be bad passengers on their own bike and countering the benefits of the hung position by trying to remain upright through the corners.

A rider's hung-off style may have more to do with his ability to be comfortable with the lean of the bike, and go with it, than anything else. This is not to say there is only one way to sit on a bike, in any style of riding. But it does mean that each rider must find his own way of agreeing with his bike's dynamics and remain in good perspective to the road. And this doesn't mean that you always have to have your head and eyes parallel with the horizon as some riders claim. But it does mean that you may have to push yourself to get out of the "man is an upright beast" mode of thinking and ride with the bike, not against it. It may feel awkward at first but it's the only way to be "in-unit" with the bike. On a professional level most riders do this. John Kocinski is an example of someone in perfect harmony with his machine and Mick Doohan has modified his sit-up push-it-under style of riding over the past couple of years to one that is more in line with the bike.

Show and Tell

If you have a rider (or yourself) do a quick flick, side to side, steering maneuver in a parking lot you'll clearly observe them jerking and stuffing the bike underneath themselves in an effort to overwhelm it with good intentions and brute force rather than using correct, effective and efficient steering technique.

There are other steering quirks you may observe while having someone do this simple show-and-tell parking lot drills. For example, some riders have a sudden hitch that comes at the end of the steering when they have leaned it over as far as they dare. It's a kind of jerking motion initiated from their rigid upper body.

You may see an exaggerated movement at the hips; that's another variation of their attempt to keep the back erect. Also, look for no movement of the head or extreme movement of it to keep the head erect. A general tenseness of the whole body is common as is lots of side to side motion of the bike. So what's the right thing to do here?

Good Passenger

What does a good passenger do? NOTHING. They just sit there and enjoy the ride, practically limp on the saddle. The bike leans over and so does the passenger. Which scenario agrees with motorcycle design: weight on top that is moving or weight that is stable and tracking with it? Motorcycles respond best to a positive and sure hand that does the least amount of changing. You, as a rider, need to do the same thing, basically, NOTHING. Holding your body upright is not doing nothing it is doing something. It is an action you initiate, a tenseness you provide and it is in opposition to the bike's intended design--what it likes.

More Lean

There is another technical point here. The more you stay erect and try to push the bike down and away (motocross style riding) the more leaned over you must be to get through the turn. That's a fact. Crotch rocket jockeys hang off their bikes for show but the pros do it to lean their bikes over less. You can counter this adverse affect of having to lean more by simply going with the bike while you turn it, in concert with and congruous to its motion, not against it. There is even an outside chance you may find it feels better and improves your control over the bike and reduces the number of mini-actions needed to corner. There is also a good possibility that this will open the door to conquering your directional fear, whichever form it may take.

Diagnosis

Look for one or more of these indications on your "bad" side:

1. The body is stiff or tense while making turns on the side you don't like, at least more so than on the side you do like.

2. You don't allow your body to go with the bike's lean on side: You are fighting it and it is fighting you.

3. The effort to remain perfectly vertical is greater on your bad side.

4. You will find yourself being less aggressive with the turning process on your bad side.

5. You will find yourself being shortsighted, looking too close to the bike on that shy side.

6. You will find yourself making more steering corrections by trying to "dip" the bike into turns or pressing and releasing the bars several times in each turn.

7. You will notice a tendency to stiff arm the steering.

8. You will notice you are trying to steer the bike with your shoulders rather than you arms.

You might find more symptoms but one or more of the above will be present on your bad side.

Coaching

The very best and simplest way I've found to cure this tendency to push the bike under is to have someone watch you while you do a quick flick, back and forth, steering drill in a parking lot. You have your friend stand at one point and you ride directly away from him or her as though you were weaving cones and then turn around and ride directly back at them weaving as quickly as you feel comfortable and at a speed you like, usually second gear. In that way your coach is able to see you either going with the bike at each steering change or they will see you and the bike crisscrossing back and forth from each other.

As the coach, that's what you are looking for, the bike and the rider doing the same action, the rider's body is leaned over the same as the bike at each and every point from beginning of the steering action to the end. There is no trick to seeing this...it is obvious. For example, when they ride away from you, if you see the mirrors moving closer and further away from the rider's body, they are obviously not moving together. That's pushing the bike under rather than good steering. This is also the time to notice which side is the rider's bad side. The back and forth flicks will be hesitant on one side or the other.

Remedies

The entire purpose of this exercise is to have the rider get in better communication with his machine--going with it not against it--and not treating it as though it were a foreign object that he is wrestling to stay on top of or muscle it down like a rodeo rider. Often, it simply takes a reminder to loosen-up the upper body. Sometimes the rider needs to lean forward and imagine the tank and he are one and the same. On sportbikes, a full crouch over the tank can sometimes be the answer to link the rider with his bike, giving him a ready reference to it's physical attitude in relation to the road.

Making sure the rider has some bend in his elbows while leaning forward slightly seems to help. Having them use palm pressure to steer the bike seems to resolve the tendency to muscle the bike over from side to side. Dropping the elbows so the forearm is more level with the tank makes the steering easier and promotes their going with the bike and takes them away from the stiff armed approach to steering. Reminders to relax the shoulders and let the arms do the work of steering also helps.

End Result

You stop doing the drill when the rider has the feeling he is in better control of the bike, when he has the idea of how easy and how much less effort it takes to steer; or when he feels comfortable with both rights and lefts. There could be other contributing factors like overly worn tires or a bent frame that would bring a genuine and justified anxiety to a right or left turn but I believe the above three reasons cover everything else and if you are anything like the hundreds of riders I've had do the above drill, you could use a little work on this area even if you don't have a bad side. I hope it helps.

? Keith Code 1996-1997

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have been grappling with that very question as of late! Trying to solve the mystery of left hand turns with a rational thought process and then improve the situation but it is dificult.

This article is well thought out and covers a lot of ground I hope to be able to work on it at the next school. will it or is it already part of the curriculum?

• 2 months later...

One additional thing i would recommend is "dry drill". Put your bike to stand (not the leaned one but similar to those they use in racing. Get on the bike and lean to your "good" side. Remember the body position, arms, legs, torso, how are wrists, elbows. Hang off even more - get some guys to support the bike, if needed, usually your SRs (Survival Reactions) fire up before the bike is even close to fall from stand :). Again, remember your position.

Now, get to the other, your "bad" side. How are your arms, elbows, torso? Lower body is quite off the seat but upper body still over the tank :) ? Arms tense, head up :) ? Try to recall, how it was on your good side and do a mentally a mirror image. Or let somebody take pictures and later you can compare them, side by side. Switch sides alternatively until you'll get a good crasp and FEELING, how your body was. Next time on the corner your body will remember it and so do you. Besides, its easier to take correct position because you have practised it earlier nad know how to do it - you have reference point.

I fell in love with a sweet sensation

I gave my heart to a simple chord

I fell in love with a new religion

whatever happened tu my rock n'roll

(BRMC: "Faster" movie soundtrack)

all best,

• 1 year later...

When I first started cornering at speeds, I felt more comfortable on the right handers. Then as I began hanging off and draggin' knee I felt faster and more in control on the lefts. For me I think it had to do with throttle side. In other words I was hanging on the bars to keep myself on the bike. I have since become aware of this flaw and corrected it. Hanging on with my knee and thigh and steering with the hand on top away from the concrete whether it be throttle or clutch. Try this. (Not for the novice.) Take a sweeper on your good side, doesn't have to be fast, now relax your grip on the ground side handle bar to the point of letting go completely. Remember your body position (ass, elbows, knees, feet....) how it felt turning on your good side and relaxing the ground side hand to the point of letting go of it completely. Obviously you can't remove completely, your throttle hand on right turns but, being able to relax your grip to the point that all you would have to do is let go means your in, maybe not correct position but, at least a good balanced position. Now, I haven't given this a whole lot of thought and I'm no Master by any means so I hope this is not bad info. but, it really helped me smooth out my right hand turns ( my herky jerky side). Now (only on lefts) I drag knee and reach out and and touch the ground at the same time. What can I say I like to freak people out! Anyone know where I can get titanium tipped gloves!!

• 2 months later...

Aussie poster here, came to read what was new in the SBS having done 2 levels and hoping we have some of the special machines when I do my third :)

I don't have a particular fear of one side or the other, but I am quite aware that my body position is significantly different between lefts and rights.

In lefts, I have noticed that my right forearm is usually brushing against the top right "corner" of the tank. In rights, my forearm is usually not brushing the tank, it is a few cm above and outside it.

The reason for this, I think, is to do with throttle control. I'm quite tall, and in rights I feel like my right arm is squashed up behind the throttle. This feeling is a barrier to relaxing my right arm, and that keeps me a little more upright. In lefts, my right arm feels unconstrained behind the throttle, and quite comfortable.

? Keith Code 1996-1997

"Which scenario agrees with motorcycle design: weight on top that is moving or weight that is stable and tracking with it? Motorcycles respond best to a positive and sure hand that does the least amount of changing. You, as a rider, need to do the same thing, basically, NOTHING."

Several images came to mind as I was reading your much appreciated comments on the fine art of steering a road bike: (1) a professional couple dancing the flamenco, (2) a steep down-hill skier negotiating moguls, and (3) a pack of dirt-bikers at speed negotiating open-desert cacti and gopher holes.

In all three cases, the beauty of the activities lie in the striking contrasts between immobile, upright torsos with fixed heads and shoulders and the seemingly detached, fast moving actions of hips, legs and feet. Also, as in the case of your road bikes, it is only in the more subtle movements of eyes and and lower arms that one can detect any intended changes in the overall direction of travel!

• 3 years later...
I have been grappling with that very question as of late! Trying to solve the mystery of left hand turns with a rational thought process and then improve the situation but it is dificult.

This article is well thought out and covers a lot of ground I hope to be able to work on it at the next school. will it or is it already part of the curriculum?

Has this question been answered?

Has this question been answered?

Yes, it's covered, right at the start of Level 1 (steering drill) and probably again in Level 3 when working on body position.

So well said to the fullest!!! I don't have a preference for turns except that I like to take them. I'm getting to the stages in my riding where I'm requesting more feedback from the bike and what my inputs are achieving. I believe when I start to become more in depth with this art I may have this problem arise, but for now I just like taken both!

So well said to the fullest!!! I don't have a preference for turns except that I like to take them. I'm getting to the stages in my riding where I'm requesting more feedback from the bike and what my inputs are achieving. I believe when I start to become more in depth with this art I may have this problem arise, but for now I just like taken both!

I didn't think I preferred one way or the other until I got on the lean bike. I now know where I want to put some focus on that.

• 4 years later...

According to my chicken strips and seat of the pants feeling, I do not suffer from left/right differences. Could well be my lack of pace. My brother, OTOH, do have issues and I asked him to read the article. He found several good inputs that he wants to put to practice come his next track day. Particularly the Diagnosis section was very clear and helpful!

SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC

For example, a muffler falls off the car in front on the freeway at 60 m.p.h., that's eighty-eight feet per second of headway you are making down the road. Despite the fact you've left a generous forty feet between you and the car, that translates into one half second to get the bike's direction diverted, including your reaction time to begin the steering process. We're talking about a couple of tenths of a second here--right now.

The muffler will not just fall down and drop dead instantly, but continue in the same direction as you, giving you a little more time and distance. But probably not enough for most riders. Keeping a distance of half a second only to the vehicle in front boggles the mind, leaving me with virtually no room for error, mine or that of others. I'm very happy that I do not have to ride in traffic where half a second gaps are considered generous!

If you want to be able to stop (theoretically) in time should the car in front be stopped dead in its tracks, you will need a gap of 2 to 3 seconds, depending on how superb your reactions and braking skills are. In real life, most riders will require at least 4 seconds oin order to come to a safe stop in such an unexpected scenario. Luckily, cars do not stop dead in their tracks very often as it will demand a head-on collision or a 3-ton rock. I'll still argue that a 2-3 second gap is preferable. Any driver closer than 1-1.5 seconds behind me will be handed a stern look and a very determined wave to back off. So far, only one driver needed a second gesture to fall back - most will drop back 3-5 seconds or more instantly :)

• 1 month later...

I can't understand why my chicken strips are wider on the left than the right. I suspect beside the preponderance of right-handed clover-leafs may have something to do with it. After looking at this article I started having a lot of success with using my bars better and also from hanging off a little more. Now I see I can get around corners I thought were nearly impossible with just the right arm. Eiirik...your videos helped a whole lot with especially one point...the two fingered clutch method.

Over all, I'm getting much better balance in both right and left handed turns.

• 3 weeks later...

I have one more "possible" reasoning.

Almost all the bikes come with back break on the right side, so when you stop the bike you have your left foot down on the ground. This made my preference to turn left more easily than the right.

Approximately 11years back, I used a bike which had the brake/gear levers on the opposite sides (brake on the left & gear on the right). Initially it was really difficult to ride that bike since if I put my left foot down (due to the habit), I can't use the brakes.

But after riding that bike for almost a month, I became more comfortable with both sides...

Now I don't use my back brake mostly anyways and don't have a specific side preference anymore. The track where I have ridden the most was a right hander (my weak side) so side preferences are washed away :)

Thought I should point out this scenario to be one of the possible reasons for the side preference.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one more "possible" reasoning.

Almost all the bikes come with back break on the right side, so when you stop the bike you have your left foot down on the ground. This made my preference to turn left more easily than the right.

Approximately 11years back, I used a bike which had the brake/gear levers on the opposite sides (brake on the left & gear on the right). Initially it was really difficult to ride that bike since if I put my left foot down (due to the habit), I can't use the brakes.

But after riding that bike for almost a month, I became more comfortable with both sides...

Now I don't use my back brake mostly anyways and don't have a specific side preference anymore. The track where I have ridden the most was a right hander (my weak side) so side preferences are washed away :)

Thought I should point out this scenario to be one of the possible reasons for the side preference.

This concerns the center of mass imho...

most bikes with a big pipe will have weight on the pipe side as the pipe is heavy.

Do an experiment : e-brake the back brake on a wet road ; the back will slide in the direction of the side with more weight ~