Who's Your Favorite Rider And Why?

King Kenny is still one of my favorites. He did it in multiple disciplines, and he was always looking at the sport from a view of better show, expand, train new riders, etc.. But sticking with his riding:

I watched him at Laguna (not sure what year it was) wheelie past the then current US Formula 1 champ Mike Baldwin, going into turn 9 at Laguna (now turn 11). What made this special was that Mike was on the brakes.

Kenny wouldn't just check out and smoke these guys either, he'd stay around for a while and make it a show, it was great to watch.

So, who's your favorite and why?

Cobie

Carlos Checa.......He is a fighter that always seems to work his way through the pack and stays in the top 7. Plus I am a Honda guy and the new bike is starting to really show well with Carlos ( and others ) on it. I would say he is my #1 rider to watch.

Carlos Checa.......He is a fighter that always seems to work his way through the pack and stays in the top 7. Plus I am a Honda guy and the new bike is starting to really show well with Carlos ( and others ) on it. I would say he is my #1 rider to watch.

Good one, I haven't seen much WSB this year, I'll make a point to check him out.

I have always been a Nicky Hayden fan mostly due to the way he rides, its exciting to watch him getting his bike sideways! In 2006 he won the championship purely by consistency and hard work, other riders may win by dominating but where's the entertainment value in that! His style always seemed to suit the 990cc bike better, I am looking forward to next year to see what he can do with the big Ducati,

Over here at a national level I am a Leon Camier fan, anyone that says you have to be small to be competitive in racing has yet to see Leon in action, I wouldn't bet against him winning the BSB championship next year!

Good one, I haven't seen much WSB this year, I'll make a point to check him out.

Hi Cobie if your interested in catching up with the WSB check out there site here

http://www.worldsbk.com/pubb_EN/index.php

you can watch all the races from the season free, check out race 2 at donington park, that is all about throottle control, its amazing!

B

I have always been a Nicky Hayden fan mostly due to the way he rides, its exciting to watch him getting his bike sideways! In 2006 he won the championship purely by consistency and hard work, other riders may win by dominating but where's the entertainment value in that! His style always seemed to suit the 990cc bike better, I am looking forward to next year to see what he can do with the big Ducati,

Over here at a national level I am a Leon Camier fan, anyone that says you have to be small to be competitive in racing has yet to see Leon in action, I wouldn't bet against him winning the BSB championship next year!

Hey Ace,

Did you know Leon was one of our students? He has come over a few times and trained with us here. Love to see him win BSB next year too!

Finally got to watch WSB last night, Bayliss is the champ. Haga was pretty impressive though.

C

Hey Ace,

Did you know Leon was one of our students? He has come over a few times and trained with us here. Love to see him win BSB next year too!

Finally got to watch WSB last night, Bayliss is the champ. Haga was pretty impressive though.

C

Yeah Cobie I knew he was a student with you guys, I think that Andy Ibbot works with him over here too! We have a TV program on at the moment called Superbike School UK and it shows a little bit of him training Thomas Luthi and Leon Camier! The program is interesting to me as I was there doing my level 1 on one of the days of filming!

I caught the BSB races at Knockhill this year. Leon had an off week, I guess.

Crazy tight, odd little track, though. Made me feel better about some of the tracks we had to ride at Nationals back in the states.

Crazy tight, odd little track, though. Made me feel better about some of the tracks we had to ride at Nationals back in the states.

You are right Racer it is a crazy tight odd little track, that is my local track, infact it is the only track within 100s of miles of me so where I do most of my trackdays, I am planning on traveling further afield next year for track days though!

Here is a list of Leons results for the year

Thruxton: 5th, 4th

Oulton Park: 3rd, 3rd

Brands Hatch GP: 5th, 3rd

Donington Park: 5th, 4th

Snetterton: 1st, 2nd

Mallory Park: DNF, 8th

Oulton Park: DNF, DNF

Knockhill: 5th, 8th

Cadwell Park: 4th, 4th

Croft: 1st, 5th

Knockhill can be a tough track, the guys are lapping in under 50 seconds and with only 1 left hand turn the tyres take some abuse on the right hand side but as you say, I guess he must have been having an off week that week!

King Kenny is still one of my favorites. He did it in multiple disciplines, and he was always looking at the sport from a view of better show, expand, train new riders, etc.. But sticking with his riding:

I watched him at Laguna (not sure what year it was) wheelie past the then current US Formula 1 champ Mike Baldwin, going into turn 9 at Laguna (now turn 11). What made this special was that Mike was on the brakes.

Kenny wouldn't just check out and smoke these guys either, he'd stay around for a while and make it a show, it was great to watch.

So, who's your favorite and why?

Cobie

I've always admired the close racing style of Noriyuki Haga. He is unafraid to stick that bike wherever he wants...and has so much control that others are unafraid to ride beside him. He can get 3 inches off your back wheel and hold there for several laps just waiting for a mistake before he pounces.

I've always admired the close racing style of Noriyuki Haga. He is unafraid to stick that bike wherever he wants...and has so much control that others are unafraid to ride beside him. He can get 3 inches off your back wheel and hold there for several laps just waiting for a mistake before he pounces.

Haga was very impressive in the last WSB race I saw, when Bayliss won the champioinship. Haven't seen the secod race yet, got it recorded, so don't tell me!

This working and doing schools thing is seriously cutting into my watching TV racing!

C

You are right Racer it is a crazy tight odd little track, that is my local track, infact it is the only track within 100s of miles of me so where I do most of my trackdays, I am planning on traveling further afield next year for track days though!

Here is a list of Leons results for the year

Thruxton: 5th, 4th

Oulton Park: 3rd, 3rd

Brands Hatch GP: 5th, 3rd

Donington Park: 5th, 4th

Snetterton: 1st, 2nd

Mallory Park: DNF, 8th

Oulton Park: DNF, DNF

Knockhill: 5th, 8th

Cadwell Park: 4th, 4th

Croft: 1st, 5th

Knockhill can be a tough track, the guys are lapping in under 50 seconds and with only 1 left hand turn the tyres take some abuse on the right hand side but as you say, I guess he must have been having an off week that week!

I meant to put "off week" in quotes to point to the fact that Leon was coming back from DNF's. Not unusual to hold back in that situation. I'm glad to see he is back on form again!

Anyway, one of my customers is a car racer whose home track is Knockhill and he told me it's pretty intense and also subject to unique weather being down in a valley. (It was raining the day I watched the BSB races.) Personally, I like tight tracks for smaller bikes and the turn one two combo reminds me of Phillip Island but shorter and steeper. You see the same sort of overtaking moves: outbraking into turn one, running wide and having the inside line to block the entry to turn two. I noticed lots of that going on!

One of my favorite riders is/was Pierfrancesco Chili. He was usually stuck on B team machinery and had to work twice as hard to prove himself. And he is a super nice guy. Really cool. He was my wife's favorite rider as well and she was really excited to meet him at Laguna Seca in July 1998 when we raced the 125 support race for the world SBK weekend. PC was totally cool and happy to hang out and chat with us as long as we wanted. She was bubbling for a week afterward and so cute when she cheered for him... CHILI-I-I-I-I !!!! (lol)

And there's another Italian rider (his name escapes me at the moment!) who was retired from full time racing but working as test rider for Aprilia the last I heard... some years ago. He would fill in once in a while when an Aprilia rider was hurt.

The common denominator is they were both over forty years old and still competitive on the world level ... working twice as hard riding 'B' team machinery. They really inspire me.

My first hero was Wayne Rainey. He inspires me too.

One of my favorite riders is/was Pierfrancesco Chili. He was usually stuck on B team machinery and had to work twice as hard to prove himself. And he is a super nice guy. Really cool. He was my wife's favorite rider as well and she was really excited to meet him at Laguna Seca in July 1998 when we raced the 125 support race for the world SBK weekend. PC was totally cool and happy to hang out and chat with us as long as we wanted. She was bubbling for a week afterward and so cute when she cheered for him... CHILI-I-I-I-I !!!! (lol)

And there's another Italian rider (his name escapes me at the moment!) who was retired from full time racing but working as test rider for Aprilia the last I heard... some years ago. He would fill in once in a while when an Aprilia rider was hurt.

The common denominator is they were both over forty years old and still competitive on the world level ... working twice as hard riding 'B' team machinery. They really inspire me.

My first hero was Wayne Rainey. He inspires me too.

yes, I liked the announcers of WSB pointing out Frankie Chili's antics on track. Very fun to watch.

There are two other Aussies that should be acknowledged IMHO; Mat Mladin and Troy Bayliss. Mladin is like the terminator while Bayliss will throw it all away trying to win a race. I appreciate that Spies has won the last three AMA Superbike titles but Mladin has won more races over the same time period because winning races seems to be more important to him than winning titles. Bayliss is just so determined that he won't let up even if doing so will insure a World Title - witness his last lap crash in R2 at Vallelunga.

Kevin

There are two other Aussies that should be acknowledged IMHO; Mat Mladin and Troy Bayliss. Mladin is like the terminator while Bayliss will throw it all away trying to win a race. I appreciate that Spies has won the last three AMA Superbike titles but Mladin has won more races over the same time period because winning races seems to be more important to him than winning titles. Bayliss is just so determined that he won't let up even if doing so will insure a World Title - witness his last lap crash in R2 at Vallelunga.

Kevin

shame that his bike (Mladin) was DQ'd. Think it was politics?

shame that his bike (Mladin) was DQ'd. Think it was politics?

I dunno...if I recall his was the only bike examined at VIR so one could speculate but the simple truth is that we'll probably never know.

Kevin

Yes, you're right. Next rount, all 3 Yosh bikes were broken down for inspection and only Spies' bike didn't require any changes for compliance. I doubt Tom Houseworth used any parts different from Mladin's or Hayden's bike. Mladin said that "everyone" knows that all 3 bikes were identical. He chided Spies for a comment he made. Said it reflected poorly on his character (ouch!). Anyone know where I read about the comments?

Yes, you're right. Next rount, all 3 Yosh bikes were broken down for inspection and only Spies' bike didn't require any changes for compliance. I doubt Tom Houseworth used any parts different from Mladin's or Hayden's bike. Mladin said that "everyone" knows that all 3 bikes were identical. He chided Spies for a comment he made. Said it reflected poorly on his character (ouch!). Anyone know where I read about the comments?

Yeah, I heard about the comment too, not sure what it was, please pop it up here or let us know where to find it if you guys do.

Mladin is a heck of a rider, no doubt. It would be very interesting to have been a fly on the wall at the tech inspection. But on the other hand, you'd think with the dramas with DMG and all (with Suzuki) they wouldn't go to pains to piss Suzuki off?

I'm really falling in love with the world superbike scene. And just as here in America, it seems the best racing is at the 600 level. I'm a big Johnny Rea fan with world supersport. If Johnny Rea is nearby, there is soon to be a battle. Here in the states...again, my favorite guys are in the 600 class. For the established guys, I love watching Josh Herrin, but I'm keeping my eye on my boy Josh Galster. He's had a bit of a setback with his injury, but mark my words, we're gonna see him fighting with the big boys one day.

I'm really falling in love with the world superbike scene.

Me too!

Spec tires have done wonders for the SBK. I haven't caught any 600 races, but, I can imagine.

I like too many riders for different reasons. The obvious is Rossi. He has a seemingly great personality, and I don't think anyone can change a line with the same results as Vale.

Pedrosa is a little go-getter. I like his style, and think he makes any race more interesting and competitive. Just ask Hayden a few years ago.

Fabian Foret is one of the smoother riders I think I've ever seen. I hated seeing him go down for most of the races this season. He's just awesome to watch.

Riders like Toseland, Biaggi, and Simoncelli make passing them a challenge, especially Toseland in Australia last GP race because he placed well and gave people fits on the track.

Haga. Nitro Nori is just wicked.

Duhamel has been on my favorites list for such a long time. A competitor.

The one rider I despise is Mladin. OK, we get it. You are on the fastest bike in AMA racing. Now go race the big boys and let's see what you can do. And he complains and has a poor excuse for his loses. Your bike failed inspection and your points are gone. Don't start complaining and inviting everyone to inspect the other two bikes.

The one rider I despise is Mladin. OK, we get it. You are on the fastest bike in AMA racing. Now go race the big boys and let's see what you can do. And he complains and has a poor excuse for his loses. Your bike failed inspection and your points are gone. Don't start complaining and inviting everyone to inspect the other two bikes.

I agree about the complaining and excuses and attitude. Didn't he ride a season with World Superbikes or GP back near the beginning of his career?

Anyway, I think he's probably satisfied with his comfy salary and isn't looking for a challenge. Can't say as I blame him for that. I mean, at his age: a bird in the hand... , eh? Why go get his a$$ kicked by a bunch of young bucks and maybe risk losing his salary or his big fish/small pond reputation? That said, he's not on my list of respected competitors.

I agree about the complaining and excuses and attitude. Didn't he ride a season with World Superbikes or GP back near the beginning of his career?

Anyway, I think he's probably satisfied with his comfy salary and isn't looking for a challenge. Can't say as I blame him for that. I mean, at his age: a bird in the hand... , eh? Why go get his a$$ kicked by a bunch of young bucks and maybe risk losing his salary or his big fish/small pond reputation? That said, he's not on my list of respected competitors.

Sorry to be the dissenter here. 1st --the topic wasn't "who do you hate and why" so let's get off of that, Pulease...

But I would like to say that I disagree about Mladin. I don't see him as a whiner OR I didn't see the comments you were referring to. Seems to me that his perspect......nevermind (just a waste of time anyhow) Good nite.