Who's Your Favorite Rider And Why?

The one rider I despise is Mladin. OK, we get it. You are on the fastest bike in AMA racing. Now go race the big boys and let's see what you can do. And he complains and has a poor excuse for his loses. Your bike failed inspection and your points are gone. Don't start complaining and inviting everyone to inspect the other two bikes.

I agree about the complaining and excuses and attitude. Didn't he ride a season with World Superbikes or GP back near the beginning of his career?

Anyway, I think he's probably satisfied with his comfy salary and isn't looking for a challenge. Can't say as I blame him for that. I mean, at his age: a bird in the hand... , eh? Why go get his a$$ kicked by a bunch of young bucks and maybe risk losing his salary or his big fish/small pond reputation? That said, he's not on my list of respected competitors.

Now he's that old, but we're talking about 8-9 years ago. He's just happy being a winner, but doesn't actually want to compete, I guess.

King Kenny is still one of my favorites. He did it in multiple disciplines, and he was always looking at the sport from a view of better show, expand, train new riders, etc.. But sticking with his riding:

I watched him at Laguna (not sure what year it was) wheelie past the then current US Formula 1 champ Mike Baldwin, going into turn 9 at Laguna (now turn 11). What made this special was that Mike was on the brakes.

Kenny wouldn't just check out and smoke these guys either, he'd stay around for a while and make it a show, it was great to watch.

So, who's your favorite and why?

Cobie

I'd like to add that Josh Hayes gets mad props from me. Here is a guy who basically developed the ZX-10 Superbike when with Attack Kawaskaki (and won the superstock championship), then when bigger names (Haydens) were selected to ride the machine he gracefully stepped down. Now that he's also gotten the shaft from Honda he earned his way onto a World Supersport team. Although he's now doing 11-13th places, I'm sure his skill level will be leaps and bounds ahead of AMA riders if/when he returns to race in America. GO JOSH!

I'd like to add that Josh Hayes gets mad props from me. Here is a guy who basically developed the ZX-10 Superbike when with Attack Kawaskaki (and won the superstock championship), then when bigger names (Haydens) were selected to ride the machine he gracefully stepped down. Now that he's also gotten the shaft from Honda he earned his way onto a World Supersport team. Although he's now doing 11-13th places, I'm sure his skill level will be leaps and bounds ahead of AMA riders if/when he returns to race in America. GO JOSH!

He might be running 11-13 now, but lets give him some time to gel with the team, and being on the world arena.

C

Josh took 9th at Magny Cours two weeks ago.

Atta boy. His wife is a doll, used to come and c/work for us at Streets. Pretty sure she gets some racing in now and again too.

Not sure I've seen that one on SpeedTV yet...I think I have.

Hey, how about you throw up a SPOILER warning? eh? Sometimes I don't get around to watching a race for awhile. It's all good

Atta boy. His wife is a doll, used to come and c/work for us at Streets. Pretty sure she gets some racing in now and again too.

I heard that she races 250's and called Josh in Europe to give him the news that she brought home a "W".

Post removed in the sober light of a new day.

My two favorite riders of all time have to be Valentino Rossi in the modern era because of his personality, his apparent smoothness and ability to overcome obstacles and "win the race" and Kevin Schwantz for his balls to the wall win it or bin it attitude. Schwantz's battles against Rainey, Doohan, Lawson and the legends of the day were epic and those guys were riding monsters! It's really awesome to see film of those races and watch the rear end of the bike skip from side to side as Schwantz brakes for the corner.

Troy Bayliss - the anti pre - madonna racer, hard as nails and a never say die attitude. Also Yukio Kagayama - I remember his double at Brno in 2005, great bloke but unfortunately is no stranger to the odd crash or two!!

I liked the cape when he won.

Aargh!!! Don't say anymore!

I haven't watched those races yet!

I'm with Jaybird... please post spoiler warnings! LOL!

Aargh!!! Don't say anymore!

I haven't watched those races yet!

I'm with Jaybird... please post spoiler warnings! LOL!

Wow, I figured the stuff on my DVR was way out of date--OK, OK, I'll warn you next time :)

C

Simoncelli put it a good ride at Valencia, and world champ to boot.

He's really fun to watch. He has shown that he is young in a few races, fighting with other riders. I think he'll transition to MotoGP well in a couple years. Maybe Kawasaki will sign him. Fingers crossed (not going to happen). If my wife doesn't watch the race, I still save the podium interviews so she can have a laugh at his fro.

Simoncelli put it a good ride at Valencia, and world champ to boot.

He's really fun to watch. He has shown that he is young in a few races, fighting with other riders. I think he'll transition to MotoGP well in a couple years. Maybe Kawasaki will sign him. Fingers crossed (not going to happen). If my wife doesn't watch the race, I still save the podium interviews so she can have a laugh at his fro.

This brings up an interesting point- my wife doesn't watch races much but she likes interviews at the end. Watching those tired young faces stumble through an English language interview is almost endearing. Those few minutes of "human interest" story go a long way I think to make the sport appeal to a more general audience. My wife and I watched "The Kentucky Kid" on MTV earlier this year, so she's a fan of Nicky mostly because she knows his story. I believe it would help the sport to have more behind-the-scenes stories. Other sports like watching the Ironman or Olympics do this heavily. WSBK and MotoGP do a bit better with post-race interviews, maybe DMG will improve that.

Wow, I figured the stuff on my DVR was way out of date--OK, OK, I'll warn you next time :)

C

Thanks,Cobie :)

You didn't reveal too much.

And, I just don't have enough time to watch races these days.

OK. I think WSBK and 250 GP is some of the more fun racing to watch because of the riders want. I just watched the last 600 race of the season, and for anyone who did watch it, tell me what you think. Sofuoglu went ripping by Hayes and tried to hit him as he went by. After the race, Sofuoglu said he's not used to Hayes type of aggression. He just rode a season in WSBK liter bikes, and I always thought WSBK riders were the most aggressive in the world. Is it possible that AMA is the more aggressive class? Hayes was taking different lines, and his braking was obviously harder than the other riders.

Off topic,

Has anyone else noticed a time delay between theirs or others posts?

Like you reply directly to a comment and your reply shows up directly below it... and then the next day or days later several posts appear between your reply and the post you were replying to?

Either the posts are going up out of order or they are getting lost in the server. Or servers, plural, perhaps?

To CSS Admin: are you using more than one server for the forum? If so, are you using a global mode to network them?

I ran into this problem on another forum and going global solved the problem.

OK. I think WSBK and 250 GP is some of the more fun racing to watch because of the riders want. I just watched the last 600 race of the season, and for anyone who did watch it, tell me what you think. Sofuoglu went ripping by Hayes and tried to hit him as he went by. After the race, Sofuoglu said he's not used to Hayes type of aggression. He just rode a season in WSBK liter bikes, and I always thought WSBK riders were the most aggressive in the world. Is it possible that AMA is the more aggressive class? Hayes was taking different lines, and his braking was obviously harder than the other riders.

I thought he said that he didn't like his braking. I thought it was strange too.

It was disappointing to see Josh's bike down on power comparatively. But it was a hard-fought and well earned finish for him [APPLAUSE] (don't want to spoil it).

I thought he said that he didn't like his braking. I thought it was strange too.

It was disappointing to see Josh's bike down on power comparatively. But it was a hard-fought and well earned finish for him [APPLAUSE] (don't want to spoil it).

Yeah, it was kinda sad. They didn't even have to draft before passing him.

• 1 month later...
King Kenny is still one of my favorites. He did it in multiple disciplines, and he was always looking at the sport from a view of better show, expand, train new riders, etc.. But sticking with his riding:

I watched him at Laguna (not sure what year it was) wheelie past the then current US Formula 1 champ Mike Baldwin, going into turn 9 at Laguna (now turn 11). What made this special was that Mike was on the brakes.

Kenny wouldn't just check out and smoke these guys either, he'd stay around for a while and make it a show, it was great to watch.

Cobie

No dought King Kenny was fun to watch! But my favorite is Dick Mann. He would road race, flat track AND ride motocross.....all on a Triumph!! I watched him race the Sacrameno Mile with a broken foot! Then I watch him race against Roger DeCoster at Carnagie MotoCross, on a Triumph single. He got smoked, but the sound of that thumper going around a motocross track was way cool!!.

Cobie

No dought King Kenny was fun to watch! But my favorite is Dick Mann. He would road race, flat track AND ride motocross.....all on a Triumph!! I watched him race the Sacrameno Mile with a broken foot! Then I watch him race against Roger DeCoster at Carnagie MotoCross, on a Triumph single. He got smoked, but the sound of that thumper going around a motocross track was way cool!!.

Never did see Dick Mann racing.

Cobie

Never did see Dick Mann racing.

Troy Bayliss