Superbike School - Uk

I just finished watching episodes 5 & 6 of Andy Ibbot's CSS-UK TV show broadcasts and, although the emphasis was presenting the school in general to the motorsports public and there was some time lost trying to hear garbled discussions between helmeted students and instructors, overall the production was good and I definitely learned a couple of new riding tricks.

Specifically the "knee to knee" technique and spinning up the rear while pulling on the inside handle bar, lifting the bike onto the larger tire circumference to control the spin/slide and (as I understand it) get a better jump off the corner as it gets the bike pointed down the track sooner. I guess this is Pedrosa's trademark move, or so they said.

I just finished watching episodes 5 & 6 of Andy Ibbot's CSS-UK TV show broadcasts and, although the emphasis was presenting the school in general to the motorsports public and there was some time lost trying to hear garbled discussions between helmeted students and instructors, overall the production was good and I definitely learned a couple of new riding tricks.

Specifically the "knee to knee" technique and spinning up the rear while pulling on the inside handle bar, lifting the bike onto the larger tire circumference to control the spin/slide and (as I understand it) get a better jump off the corner as it gets the bike pointed down the track sooner. I guess this is Pedrosa's trademark move, or so they said.

The pickup drill that they taught is really good, always pull the inside bar and never push the outside bar so not to upset your body position, after watching it I decided to go out and give it a try and I felt that by doing it I could be a bit more aggressive (confident) with the throttle at the exit, unfortunately for me winter is here in Scotland so good riding days are few and far between! I dont know what level they teach that drill, I was in the same group as the presenter on the first day of filming doing level 1 and never got it so I can only assume it gets done in level 2 or 3, I believe the knee to knee is covered in level 3!

Unfortunately I have been unable to get a hold of eps 5 and 6 yet so have only seen the first 4.

Yeah, that pick up drill rocks. I can't believe I never figured that out on my own before. Not the pulling part so much as putting it together with the spin and using the larger circumference to attenuate the spinning. That is SO fraking sublime.

Brilliant!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I am glad you liked the show. However, just to cover off a point here, the Pick Up Drill (Last drill of Level 2) does not work because you are getting the bike onto a larger part of the tyre...

...for the FULL explaination on how it works...

...you will need to come to the school!

All the best

Andy Ibbott

School Director

Europe, Middle East, South Africa.

• 2 months later...
Hi Guys,

I am glad you liked the show. However, just to cover off a point here, the Pick Up Drill (Last drill of Level 2) does not work because you are getting the bike onto a larger part of the tyre...

All the best

Andy Ibbott

School Director

Thats me booked for Rockingham 6th and 7th July for levels 2 and 3! I did my level 1 there last year and enjoyed that track so am definitely looking forward to returning.

Due to the rain last year I was unable to do my off track drill (steering), would it be possible for me to get that done if the weather permits?

Thanks

Bobby

Thats me booked for Rockingham 6th and 7th July for levels 2 and 3! I did my level 1 there last year and enjoyed that track so am definitely looking forward to returning.

Due to the rain last year I was unable to do my off track drill (steering), would it be possible for me to get that done if the weather permits?

Thanks

Bobby

Bobby,

For sure ask them early on, let them know you missed it and they should be able to get you to it right away.

CF

Thanks

Bobby

Bobby,

For sure ask them early on, let them know you missed it and they should be able to get you to it right away.

CF

Thanks Cobie, I will say to them as soon as I arrive there!

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

All the best

Andy Ibbott

School Director

Haven't done level 2 yet so excuse the ignorance. Are you not actually using a smaller patch of tyre when standing the bike up. I'm not the best at explaining myself but I think it's more to do with centrifugal force and by standing the bike up you can add more speed, without increasing the force pulling you wide, which if done when leant over would pull you off line or you'd have to increase lean and lose traction.

There are a few pieces to this for sure, but one point there is more rubber on the ground when the bike is leaned over (with modern tires).

CF