Trailer Set-up

I'm in the market for an enclosed trailer. Looking at 6x12. Already have the strapless stands http://www.ststands.com/main.cfm that I used for my open trailer. Setting it up for 3 bikes, but will mostly carry 2. Pulling it with a F150 4x4 Supercab.

Want to know the lessons learned from you guys. If you were doing it all over again, what would you do the same/different.

Ramp vs. barn door

Torsion vs. spring

Single vs. dual axel

Best flooring/wall finishing

Trailer brand names

Cabinets

E trak on the walls

You get the idea. I plan on buying new or near new. Chime in with any thoughts/pics or advice.

If you plan to run A/C and/or heat, go ahead and do the insulation in the walls and ceiling before installing anything else. Also use 12v lighting on the inside and get an inverter to provide the 12v while plugged into 120v at the track. Be sure to plan to distribute your weight evenly in the trailer. Go for the ramp door with spring assist. Dual axle with electric brakes and brake controller in the truck is the only way to go. Windows are very nice to have if you plan to stay in the trailer at the track.

I'm in the market for an enclosed trailer. Looking at 6x12. Already have the strapless stands http://www.ststands.com/main.cfm that I used for my open trailer. Setting it up for 3 bikes, but will mostly carry 2. Pulling it with a F150 4x4 Supercab.

Want to know the lessons learned from you guys. If you were doing it all over again, what would you do the same/different.

Ramp vs. barn door

Torsion vs. spring

Single vs. dual axel

Trailer brand names

Cabinets

E trak on the walls

You get the idea. I plan on buying new or near new. Chime in with any thoughts/pics or advice.

Will is out of the office right now, and likely for more than a week, but I'll alert him to this. He has a Toy Hauler type trailer, so didn't have to do the insulation, etc., but for sure the E-track. I tihnk he may have put it on the floor too. The chaulks we came up with for the school trailer, that' s a bit involved.

One other comment: all the time we see guys tying their forks down too tight. Snug the front end, then a little tigher on the back end, and use 4 tie downs--ALL THE TIME. For years, I only used 2. But, with 2 if 1 brakes/fails in any way--bad deal. With 4 it'll still be in one piece, and likely undamaged. Forks tied down too tight are tough on the springs and seals.

CF

If you plan to run A/C and/or heat, go ahead and do the insulation in the walls and ceiling before installing anything else. Also use 12v lighting on the inside and get an inverter to provide the 12v while plugged into 120v at the track. Be sure to plan to distribute your weight evenly in the trailer. Go for the ramp door with spring assist. Dual axle with electric brakes and brake controller in the truck is the only way to go. Windows are very nice to have if you plan to stay in the trailer at the track.

I like the inverter idea for the 12v lighting. Never really gave that much thought. Good stuff! Definitely going with electric brakes. Ford brakes suck so I'll need all the help I can get.

Any opinion on V-nose vs flat front? I know it gives more storage. Some say better gas mpg, but I have my doubts that it helps that much.

Ramp vs. barn door

Torsion vs. spring

Single vs. dual axel

Trailer brand names

Cabinets

E trak on the walls

Will is out of the office right now, and likely for more than a week, but I'll alert him to this. He has a Toy Hauler type trailer, so didn't have to do the insulation, etc., but for sure the E-track. I tihnk he may have put it on the floor too. The chaulks we came up with for the school trailer, that' s a bit involved.

One other comment: all the time we see guys tying their forks down too tight. Snug the front end, then a little tigher on the back end, and use 4 tie downs--ALL THE TIME. For years, I only used 2. But, with 2 if 1 brakes/fails in any way--bad deal. With 4 it'll still be in one piece, and likely undamaged. Forks tied down too tight are tough on the springs and seals.

CF

Yea, I currently use the Baxley Sport chock and canyon dancers. Anyone thinking about a chock should definitely check out Baxley. http://www.baxleycompanies.com/Sportchock.html Awesome for pit use too.

I'm itching to try out the strapless stands. They use an axel rod through the rear axel so there's no compression of the suspension and you don't need straps. You can also line the bikes up 6" apart.

One of the worse parts of using an enclosed trailer is that you have no idea how the bikes are doing until you open that door. I'll gladly pay for peace of mind knowing that the bikes are solid.

You asked if V nose is better - I have a V nose horse trailer and a standard enclosed motorcycle trailer. The V nose trailer seems to me to haul a little steadier, and although I haven't checked for differences in gas mileage, it certainly FEELS as though it has less wind resistance, when accelerating hard or in windy conditions. The V nose would give you some storage area in front of the bikes (presumably) but it is a weird-shaped area which might make it challenging to use. But honestly I wouldn't go far out of my way to get one style or the other.

I'd definitely get the ramp, make sure it is easy to lift, and interior lights, and dual-axle, and interior height tall enough for you to stand up comfortably. Get, or add, lots of places to tie down STUFF, I have folding rings in the floor and on the walls, but E trak is probably better. Make sure you have a roof vent. Windows are great for light and ventilation but may pose a security risk, since someone can peek in and see there are bikes in there. Make sure whatever chocks you use hold the front tire snug, so the wheel can't turn left or right, it makes a really big difference in how tight you have to tie down the bike.

One thing I DON'T like about my current setup - my bike chocks are at the very front (built into the floor, which is nice) and I have no room up there for cabinets. As a result, the bikes have to go in FIRST and come out LAST, and that's a pain because when you arrive at the track it would be nice to pull the bikes out for tech right away, and unload the rest later. Also when we get home, EVERYTHING has to come out to get the bikes unloaded, so we can't leave the trailer partially packed. It would be better to have SOME room in front of the bikes for cabinets and storage, although I think you do want the bikes in front of the axles for better weight distribution and trailer handling.

A side door is really nice for quick tie-down checks or to get to easier access to stuff in the front of the trailer, and for ventilation. Something I WISH I had was folding racks to hold gas cans - anybody know a source for that? I want them to fold against the wall when not in use.

Good luck in your search.

Everyone has thier own "hot set-up" i set my trailer up to do anything, so I don't want to obstruct the floor or the walls. i use http://www.condor-lift.com/product.asp?ItemID=1001, there is no better stand and I don't have to bolt them down to use them. /the other thing i like is to put E-track on the wall and floor so i can D-ring at any point. I like 12" and 48" center on the walls and went across from wall to wall 4' center.

• 2 months later...
I'm itching to try out the strapless stands. They use an axel rod through the rear axel so there's no compression of the suspension and you don't need straps. You can also line the bikes up 6" apart.

One of the worse parts of using an enclosed trailer is that you have no idea how the bikes are doing until you open that door. I'll gladly pay for peace of mind knowing that the bikes are solid.

I've used a strapless stand for over a year now... and yes they are awesome!

I hate to admit it but not to long ago I didn't get the trailer on the ball of the trailer fully and had it bounce off while leaving the track. Everything in the trailer went flying. There wasn't any really bad damage other then the trailer jack being, well, jacked and the coupler had some minor damage, but the bike didn't move.

I've used a strapless stand for over a year now... and yes they are awesome!

I hate to admit it but not to long ago I didn't get the trailer on the ball of the trailer fully and had it bounce off while leaving the track. Everything in the trailer went flying. There wasn't any really bad damage other then the trailer jack being, well, jacked and the coupler had some minor damage, but the bike didn't move.

Great testimony for the stands! I have the stands and should be ordering the trailer within a few weeks.

What do you g\Guys/ Gals do about sleeping arrangements? I'm giving some thought to a trailer setup and this is a question of mine.

I know Will and some of the other guys have gone the Toyhauler route: trailer with sleeping arrangements, room for the bikes in the back of that. But those aren't low dollar investments. Makes sense if you are going to use it a bit, but if you aren't (like me) not worth it.

C

What do you g\Guys/ Gals do about sleeping arrangements? I'm giving some thought to a trailer setup and this is a question of mine.

I know Will and some of the other guys have gone the Toyhauler route: trailer with sleeping arrangements, room for the bikes in the back of that. But those aren't low dollar investments. Makes sense if you are going to use it a bit, but if you aren't (like me) not worth it.

C

Those things look awesome! But unfortunately, more than I had envisioned. Perhaps if I race, but a bit much for the guy who does a few trackdays a year.

Those things look awesome! But unfortunately, more than I had envisioned. Perhaps if I race, but a bit much for the guy who does a few trackdays a year.

Stuman used to have (might still) this neat looking small trailer that would store sitting on its end, took up very little space.

Simple 3 rail trailers are even smaller and lighter, some get those with a toolbox on the ftont. Next step up is an enclosed trailer. If you go that route, contact Will, he set up some nice ones (put E-track on the inside, great adjustability for loading).

CF

• 1 month later...

Does anyone here have experience/recommendations about insulating the interior and installing an A/C? Can I use a cheap, window style A/C or should I suffer for another year and save up for the roof mounted RV style? (I have a 7x14 enclosed, spring loaded ramp in the back, small door on the side, dual axle, electric brakes.) The interior is bare plywood. After reading the other posts, I'm sold on the E Tracks. I just picked up a Closet Maid Shelf System from the local Re-Store which I plan to use for some overhead storage.

Any suggestions on the A/C and insulation?

Does anyone here have experience/recommendations about insulating the interior and installing an A/C? Can I use a cheap, window style A/C or should I suffer for another year and save up for the roof mounted RV style? (I have a 7x14 enclosed, spring loaded ramp in the back, small door on the side, dual axle, electric brakes.) The interior is bare plywood. After reading the other posts, I'm sold on the E Tracks. I just picked up a Closet Maid Shelf System from the local Re-Store which I plan to use for some overhead storage.

Lot's of trailer related posts on the WERA board

http://forums.13x.com/search.php?searchid=1827256

Lot's of trailer related posts on the WERA board

http://forums.13x.com/search.php?searchid=1827256

Thanks bpez, there's tons of good info there!