Mid-winter Boredom...

I must admit it's tough thinking about riding when you can't really ride, for those of us not living in the south. I did take the bike out the other day when it was up to 67 (from 0-deg a week ago) to at least run it a bit, but no cornering.

I did spend some time loading the track videos from this site to my iPod- it sort of becomes a little game since you can tilt the iPod to keep the track level- with the camera bike-mounted it helps get a sense of the lean angle, and how quick the turn-ins are.

Any other great ideas for learning in the off-season!?

I've never lived in a place I didn't ride my bike. In Dallas and Louisiana, as long as it didn't ice, I'd ride in as low as 20 degree's, Vegas and here (Phoenix) don't get cold at all. It got down to 30 degree's some time last week, and I didn't even know it until I got to work and had everyone telling me the temp.

What I do like to do is watch track video when I'm sitting here and find lines or turn markers. On WSBK.com all of last years races are watchable on the Superbike TV or whatever, and I can watch their form and race lines.

I must admit it's tough thinking about riding when you can't really ride, for those of us not living in the south. I did take the bike out the other day when it was up to 67 (from 0-deg a week ago) to at least run it a bit, but no cornering.

I did spend some time loading the track videos from this site to my iPod- it sort of becomes a little game since you can tilt the iPod to keep the track level- with the camera bike-mounted it helps get a sense of the lean angle, and how quick the turn-ins are.

How about a dirt bike?

I've never lived in a place I didn't ride my bike. In Dallas and Louisiana, as long as it didn't ice, I'd ride in as low as 20 degree's, Vegas and here (Phoenix) don't get cold at all. It got down to 30 degree's some time last week, and I didn't even know it until I got to work and had everyone telling me the temp.

What I do like to do is watch track video when I'm sitting here and find lines or turn markers. On WSBK.com all of last years races are watchable on the Superbike TV or whatever, and I can watch their form and race lines.

Your lucky Hub Its a very good day here if it gets above 20 degrees in summer, our roads are all salty just now to stop ice, and you have to wash your bike after every run to stop corrosion, I like to take my bike out regularly to get the engine up to temp from time to time and have been out in - 4 already this winter.

Your lucky Hub Its a very good day here if it gets above 20 degrees in summer, our roads are all salty just now to stop ice, and you have to wash your bike after every run to stop corrosion, I like to take my bike out regularly to get the engine up to temp from time to time and have been out in - 4 already this winter.

Reading this, pretty hard to whine about a little traffic in SoCal.

My bikes are totally hibernating, no riding for me in the winter when it's -36 C with the windchill, but I would like to get something for ice riding. I do go stir crazy though so lots of reading and watching race video on the tivo. fortunatley the 2 day is coming up in vegas in March! Can't wait.

How about a dirt bike?

Several people have mentioned that in various ways. I've never ridden a dirt bike in my life. The problem right now is essentially starting another hobby while I've got my 2nd kid starting college.. not good timing!

This may be a good time for me to pickup one of those el-cheapo bikes from Pep Boys or something. hmmm....and I've always wanted a pocket rocket too.....

We went looking for cars today (mine is on the fritz AGAIN) and my wife had her first ride in below 40 degree weather. I always get it at work about riding in this weather, and my wife can vouch for me now. It's nothing. She did have a 6'2 windscreen, but she was a lot more worried about it than she had to be. I'm just waiting for January 24th for our local racing to resume, and March 1 for Phillip Island. I would LOVE to ride that track..... if they could keep the birds away.

We went looking for cars today (mine is on the fritz AGAIN) and my wife had her first ride in below 40 degree weather. I always get it at work about riding in this weather, and my wife can vouch for me now. It's nothing. She did have a 6'2 windscreen, but she was a lot more worried about it than she had to be. I'm just waiting for January 24th for our local racing to resume, and March 1 for Phillip Island. I would LOVE to ride that track..... if they could keep the birds away.

Phillip Island--yeah, a bird at 180 wouldn't be good. Beautiful view in some of the turns of the ocean, stunning!

Phillip Island--yeah, a bird at 180 wouldn't be good. Beautiful view in some of the turns of the ocean, stunning!

At Phillip Island, I wouldn't be so worried about the birds, there are a varied amount of wildlife that I've encountered. Seagulls, Waterfowl, Geese, Ducks, Wallabies (small kangaroos), Hares (large rabbits) and a cat (very upset over the crest at Southern Loop).

Hope that when you ride the Island, that you're blessed with great weather.

As for mid-winter boredom, if you have a PS2, get an old copy of MotoGP-4 by Namco (could find it on eBay?). It has one of the better simulations of Phillip Island (and Sepang). And you can race against your mates. Hours and hours of fun (nearly divorce material).

Please do not get MotoGP-07 by Capcom, I really wish I hadn't.

Cheers

I haven't tried any of this stuff, really should.

I'm trying to keep my kids from being hooked to video games, with modest success.

I think the off season is the perfect time to get educated on our favourite pastime, whenever I get some spare time I am reading the twist books, I have read them loads of times but always seem to pick up new ideas every time I read them, I am also trying to educate myself on the so called black art of suspension set-up, I have read over the notes and views of some of the worlds top suspension guys and I think I am finally getting a good understanding of it, It would be good to have a go at setting up someone's suspension for them just to see if I am really any good at it.

I think the off season is the perfect time to get educated on our favourite pastime, whenever I get some spare time I am reading the twist books, I have read them loads of times but always seem to pick up new ideas every time I read them, I am also trying to educate myself on the so called black art of suspension set-up, I have read over the notes and views of some of the worlds top suspension guys and I think I am finally getting a good understanding of it, It would be good to have a go at setting up someone's suspension for them just to see if I am really any good at it.

I'm building a relationship at the local (and only) Racetech shop. I've spoken with the owner and we have an agreement for me to donate my time helping out at race weekends. That way I get to learn hands-on.

I'm building a relationship at the local (and only) Racetech shop. I've spoken with the owner and we have an agreement for me to donate my time helping out at race weekends. That way I get to learn hands-on.

wow thats a good way to learn!

As for mid-winter boredom, if you have a PS2, get an old copy of MotoGP-4 by Namco (could find it on eBay?). It has one of the better simulations of Phillip Island (and Sepang). And you can race against your mates. Hours and hours of fun (nearly divorce material).

MotoGP 4 is the greatest racing game ever. I have the PS3, and MotoGP '08 is only a LITTLE better than '07. Capcom really screwed up this franchise.

MotoGP 4 is the greatest racing game ever. I have the PS3, and MotoGP '08 is only a LITTLE better than '07. Capcom really screwed up this franchise.

Hay hub if you put up your ps3 user id I will add you to my friends list

Not to get too off topic, but your right about Capcom dropping the ball on MotoGP, 360 is horrible as well. I asked for a refund it is so bad and was SOL. I love the idea of learning the suspension from a local expert, if only we had one that came to our track. I'll be sending mine to RMR suspension in BC this year. I'm back to rereading all the twist books again, and daydreaming about twisty pavement.

Ace or JB, you guys can come and play with my bike any time. Let's see: 98 ZX-9, old coach bike.

It feels a little porky compared to the more modern stuff, but rather have it as an alrounder than a current 600.

Ace or JB, you guys can come and play with my bike any time. Let's see: 98 ZX-9, old coach bike.

It feels a little porky compared to the more modern stuff, but rather have it as an alrounder than a current 600.

Do NOT be surprised if I take you up on that...I'm having withdrawals now.

(must.....post.....more......) (nnnnnneeeed......more.....forum......participation........need.......more......

.forum........)

• 2 months later...

I agree about PS2 MotoGP 4. That game has kept me thinking about roadracing thru the long....cold... Alaskan winters. I've spent many , many hours memorizing, and racing on all the GP tracks.

Truth be told, I learned alot about my own short-comings. It really got me thinking about reading a track, breaking points, keeping my eyes up, and my heart rate down !!

I've been playing that game ( Namco series ) since they had MotoGP 1. What a rush !!!!!

Nothing beats the real thing, but this game tricks my eyes into thinking I'm really doing it. Silly, huh? :rolleyes:

I agree about PS2 MotoGP 4. That game has kept me thinking about roadracing thru the long....cold... Alaskan winters. I've spent many , many hours memorizing, and racing on all the GP tracks.

Truth be told, I learned alot about my own short-comings. It really got me thinking about reading a track, breaking points, keeping my eyes up, and my heart rate down !!

I've been playing that game ( Namco series ) since they had MotoGP 1. What a rush !!!!!

Nothing beats the real thing, but this game tricks my eyes into thinking I'm really doing it. Silly, huh? :rolleyes:

Q: Can I convince myself to buy this, by telling myself that this is a training tool?

Q: Will this game work on PS3 or any other platform (PC)?- I only own PC, but willing to buy new hardware depending on abovequestion

Q: Can I convince myself to buy this, by telling myself that this is a training tool?

Q: Will this game work on PS3 or any other platform (PC)?- I only own PC, but willing to buy new hardware depending on abovequestion

JB,

The answer is YES. My understanding is that all the PS2 games are compatable w/ PS3. You can probably get a used PS2 on Craigslist for under $100. I see them all the time for sale. Anyway, I think the silly game has made me alot more aware of what I need to spend my $10 on. IMHO

Hi jay

I dont think this is a good route to go down, I am a bit of a gamer and I can tell you it can become addictive and does your fitness absolutely no good whatsoever! As for a training tool, think about this, how many of the tracks in these games are you really going to ride in real life anyway?

Here is what I have started using as a training tool and with this I get fit and can also learn the layout of almost any track in the world!

I have got myself an indoor exercise bicycle, that covers the fitness side of things, then what I do while cycling is watch onbike videos from sites like utube etc! I did this watching hundreds of laps of donington park, then when I got there last week I felt like I knew the track and had never riden it before, it was great. I have yet to find a track that someone has not made an onboard video of!

Hi jay

I dont think this is a good route to go down, I am a bit of a gamer and I can tell you it can become addictive and does your fitness absolutely no good whatsoever! As for a training tool, think about this, how many of the tracks in these games are you really going to ride in real life anyway?

Here is what I have started using as a training tool and with this I get fit and can also learn the layout of almost any track in the world!

I have got myself an indoor exercise bicycle, that covers the fitness side of things, then what I do while cycling is watch onbike videos from sites like utube etc! I did this watching hundreds of laps of donington park, then when I got there last week I felt like I knew the track and had never riden it before, it was great. I have yet to find a track that someone has not made an onboard video of!

I see your point, but I'm no couch potato. As far as youtube....it doesn't really work well for me. I tried doing Streets videos before I got there....nada. I need to SEE IT myself. Or at least have SOME interaction. Plus it helps keep my head from doing the tilting thing while I'm at work and people looking at me strange :blink: