Forum Posters, And Forum Lurkers

Splendid, thanks for the heads up Ace!

Hey Fiji,

Welcome to the forum. Just to make sure, out here on the West Coast, do you know what Squid means?

Likely you do, but just in case:

"Squid" was a term, no idea who first used it, that was a label for punks on RD-350's, riding with a tank top or no shirt, no helmet, shorts, flip flops, and wheelieing from stop light to stop light (or riding nuts in the turns).

So someone being a "squid" or doing something "squidly" is doing something and using questionable judgement, shall we say. Not saying that we have never done anything squidly, but we try and keep it in check, and at the track for the most part :)

Glad you are here, keep on posting :D

Best,

Cobie

Hi Cobie,

Excuse me, but I just noticed something very disturbing :o that I hope you can help me with. When I posted my comment, I noticed that under my name is the word 'Squid' :ph34r: . Now, I will give you the benefit of a doubt....but those who know, know that calling a Jarhead a squid can land you somewhere you may not want to be.... <_< . The following is a small but useful guide in the lingo. 'Flyboy, Falcon' (Air Force), 'Jarhead, Devil Dog' (Marines), 'Soldier' (Army), 'Squid' (Navy), 'Puddle Jumpers' (Coast Guard), etc., are terms of endearment :wub: we use describing each other. Please inform your management, that I would like to have that title removed from that and any further posts I make :angry: . (Just kidding, I know it's some kind of rating thing....right?! Dumb question #1.) :lol:

Oorah!,

FIJI750

Hey Bro:

When I was in, the term Jarhead was only used by outsiders. I also had a long talk with another Marine about the use of DD, which apparently is changing and seems to be only used Senior to Junior.

Welcome to the forum.

PS- You forgot "Puddle Pirate" and "Shallow Water Sailor" (USCG). Only one of them is a term of endearment. I'll let those risky enough to try and figure out which by trial and error :rolleyes:

s/f

Hi Cobie,

Excuse me, but I just noticed something very disturbing :o that I hope you can help me with. When I posted my comment, I noticed that under my name is the word 'Squid' :ph34r: . Now, I will give you the benefit of a doubt....but those who know, know that calling a Jarhead a squid can land you somewhere you may not want to be.... <_< . The following is a small but useful guide in the lingo. 'Flyboy, Falcon' (Air Force), 'Jarhead, Devil Dog' (Marines), 'Soldier' (Army), 'Squid' (Navy), 'Puddle Jumpers' (Coast Guard), etc., are terms of endearment :wub: we use describing each other. Please inform your management, that I would like to have that title removed from that and any further posts I make :angry: . (Just kidding, I know it's some kind of rating thing....right?! Dumb question #1.) :lol:

Oorah!,

FIJI750

Hey Bro:

When I was in, the term Jarhead was only used by outsiders. I also had a long talk with another Marine about the use of DD, which apparently is changing and seems to be only used Senior to Junior.

Welcome to the forum.

PS- You forgot "Puddle Pirate" and "Shallow Water Sailor" (USCG). Only one of them is a term of endearment. I'll let those risky enough to try and figure out which by trial and error :rolleyes:

s/f

Thanks. I just googled nick names and i copied and pasted that sentence. lol You're absolutely right, Senior's are using it more and more in a derogatory way than anything else.... so the Jr's only relate these terms of endearment in a negative manner.... and they absolutely hate it when they are addressed in that manner.... whether good or bad, cuz they only hear it in a negative manner... most of the time. But you know how it is.... to each his own. I hear Jarhead being thrown around here and there.... especially at this command!

Splendid, thanks for the heads up Ace!

Hey Fiji,

Welcome to the forum. Just to make sure, out here on the West Coast, do you know what Squid means?

Likely you do, but just in case:

"Squid" was a term, no idea who first used it, that was a label for punks on RD-350's, riding with a tank top or no shirt, no helmet, shorts, flip flops, and wheelieing from stop light to stop light (or riding nuts in the turns).

So someone being a "squid" or doing something "squidly" is doing something and using questionable judgement, shall we say. Not saying that we have never done anything squidly, but we try and keep it in check, and at the track for the most part :)

Glad you are here, keep on posting :D

Best,

Cobie

This is a bit dark, but since you brought it up, I have been told that the word "squid" came from an emergency room term for the riders you mention above, when they end up in the hospital - short for "squished kid". So, wear your expensive protective gear, and keep it on the track when you can.

This is a bit dark, but since you brought it up, I have been told that the word "squid" came from an emergency room term for the riders you mention above, when they end up in the hospital - short for "squished kid". So, wear your expensive protective gear, and keep it on the track when you can.

What do they call squished old guys, squog, or Geri-squish? Is this totally inappropriate, and I should delete myself?

What do they call squished old guys, squog, or Geri-squish? Is this totally inappropriate, and I should delete myself?

"Slow Learners"

"Slow Learners"

:lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there,

I'm sure I'm currently being labeled as a squid. I guess that's just part of working your way up the ranks. I always thought riding like a "squid" meant you were loose, and all over the track with no particular style. I could be wrong, I mean they never called me that...... (did they?)

Anyway.Thanks for the great forum. For me it's the only forum I participate in. I 've recently "come aboard" and it's honestly some of the most meaningful rider/racer discussions I've ever come across ( besides ACTUALLY being in your leathers, in the pits on race day). I really mean what I'm saying . Thanks CSS. You guys are fantastic.

Hey there,

I'm sure I'm currently being labeled as a squid. I guess that's just part of working your way up the ranks. I always thought riding like a "squid" meant you were loose, and all over the track with no particular style. I could be wrong, I mean they never called me that...... (did they?)

Anyway.Thanks for the great forum. For me it's the only forum I participate in. I 've recently "come aboard" and it's honestly some of the most meaningful rider/racer discussions I've ever come across ( besides ACTUALLY being in your leathers, in the pits on race day). I really mean what I'm saying . Thanks CSS. You guys are fantastic.

And, you're alread an apprentice! Keep posting!

Hey there,

Hi AB,

And we haven't even had you at a school yet :D

CF

I haven't been to a trackday yet, so I don't feel I have much to offer compared to all the very experienced and knowledgeable people on this forum. However, I'm signed up for Level 1 and 2 at NJMP in August, so maybe after that I'll have enough knowledge to contribute effectively.

Welcome to my world. Ok. I already did 1 and 2 but, now I'm spoiled and just don't think track day will be the same w/o CSS. (And, I need another bike...) After all, there really aren't that many people who can say "You're not the slowest one we've had out here" and have me be okay with it. Another thing learned at CSS: it's nice to be lied to once. ^_^

hey there all,

New to the forum...so to answer your Q Cobie...The reason that I do not post much is because No.1...I can't type that fast (2 fingers lol) and No.2...I haven't done any trackdays yet...starting this summer (first one at Hastings,NB in May).

OK...So here is my first Question...not sure where specifically to post this ??...

I have done L1&2 and have NO trackday experience. That being said, I've learned alot at the school... so much that I really have no clue where to start?? What is the NO.1 skill/drill should I start with? TC?...Read the track?...RP?...should I work on a multitude of drills at once or stick to a specific drill til I nail it?? At this point I'm not all that interested in speed, I'd rather concentrate on proper techniques...Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

BCNU

Well I'll have to admit that I haven't posted as often as I could but I am one of those that feel I should have something additional to offer as well to existing posts. What this should not hold back however is prompting additional discussion on new topics or questions. I'm sure many of us have much to learn and with the wealth of knowledge that must exist in this group, this seems to be a great resource for just that.

I think being new to the group as well, I just need to make my involvement a bit more routine as well. As I look forward to doing level 2 and 3 at Barber in less than two months, I plan to tap this resource in preparation.

Best regards,

-scott

Hi Coby. I just got registered here and I'll try not to be a "lurker!" :ph34r: I attended the 2 day camp at VIR last September. You were my coach on day 2. I learned more in that 2 days about how to ride well than I had in over 13 years of riding. I look forward to attending more classes, maybe Barber in June for levels 3 & 4. I saw Dillon, Pete and Lonnie at Cherry Point NC a couple months ago, they taught us how to put on a mini-track-day using the air strip. I'm working with some of the other MSF coaches here in Beaufort SC to attempt one on our own. Wish us luck! Are you coming to Beaufort for the AMOS?

Hi Coby. I just got registered here and I'll try not to be a "lurker!" :ph34r: I attended the 2 day camp at VIR last September. You were my coach on day 2. I learned more in that 2 days about how to ride well than I had in over 13 years of riding. I look forward to attending more classes, maybe Barber in June for levels 3 & 4. I saw Dillon, Pete and Lonnie at Cherry Point NC a couple months ago, they taught us how to put on a mini-track-day using the air strip. I'm working with some of the other MSF coaches here in Beaufort SC to attempt one on our own. Wish us luck! Are you coming to Beaufort for the AMOS?

Yeah, I havent made all the track days, but I'll be there for the full AMOS schools--will you make those? Going to be on the road most of this week, won't get back up here for a while, you can always e-mail me: cobie@superbikeschool.com

Best,

CF

Hi Cobie,

My wife tells me I don't talk enough so I guess I am the same on an internet board!

I listen but don't say too much...

Also I am a little frustrated right now because the winter here in Toronto has been so long and I have not really been able to ride my bike since I came back from the Vegas camp end March!

You Californians dont know how lucky you are!

Hi Cobie,

My wife tells me I don't talk enough so I guess I am the same on an internet board!

I listen but don't say too much...

Also I am a little frustrated right now because the winter here in Toronto has been so long and I have not really been able to ride my bike since I came back from the Vegas camp end March!

You Californians dont know how lucky you are!

KTM--OK, we got you up here now though :)

Having lived in Montana and New Mexico, I have a little appreciation for your winters, just enough to be glad I'm down here :)

We have a had a whole passle of Canadians at the schools so far this year, both in Vegas and Laguna. I guess they just couldn't stand it any more.

Keep posting KTM, better than just going and petting your bike every now and again. :lol:

CF