Where We Are, And What We Are Doing

Hi All,

Prepping for Miller, the trucks will leave on Sunday. Anywhere in the Rockies is fine with me, but alas have to stay in town for this trip sad.gif. Not terribly worried, Pete and the gang will handle any and all comers. Miller will be even more fun on the BMW's, while I liked the 600's, I thought them a little weak at that altitude.

Speaking of Miller, some of our racer kids were doing well racing there this last weeken, Lex Hartl and Andre Ochs--turns out they raced against Gerry Signorelli, another one of our guys. I finally got to see some racing on the tube and Thomas Luthi did an amazing job in Moto2 (another one we have coached). Since we are on the subject of Miller, Keith was there a few weeks back, coaching Leon Camier at the WSB round, and he put his bike on the box, whoohoo! Do I sound like I'm proud of our guys, hell yes!

We finally got Trevor married off (he's our course control, has been for many years, doing an excellent job there). Took his new bride to Hawaii. Wise move I'm sure.

Kristi made the cover of MOTORCYCLIST magazine recently, can't belive they didn't use me for that, go figure.

This summer and fall we are looking to bring some more of the outer schools coaches in and get them to "the mother ship" for some brainwashing, specifically the Greece school's Chief Riding Coach, then another visit from Adam (the Oz CRC).

Best,

CF

Cobie. I hope you are making it to NJ on August. Looking forward to meeting you. I have a question regarding your bikes. I am riding a CBR1000rr with GP shifter. Do you guys have GP shifter for the ones like me. Otherwise I think I have to try to program my brain for the standard shift.

CYA at the track on August.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cobie. I hope you are making it to NJ on August. Looking forward to meeting you. I have a question regarding your bikes. I am riding a CBR1000rr with GP shifter. Do you guys have GP shifter for the ones like me. Otherwise I think I have to try to program my brain for the standard shift.

CYA at the track on August.

My bike is GP shift, but I just rode the standard shift pattern on their BMW's. Isn't too hard to make the switch back, just have to pay attention for your first few times out. I only messed up once or twice.

Hi Razor,

For sure I'll be there, come say hello. The problem with changing GP shift on the school bikes is it takes a seperate kit, and about 45 minutes to do (due to the BMW shift assist). Short version is we don't have any GP shift bikes available for students. It's not ideal for sure, we get students that like to ride GP. One trick I've learned when I have to ride a students bike at the track is make sure I put my foot in the position that will make the upshift, this has keep me out of making a large mistake :).

Best,

CF

Hi All,

The boys are back from Miller, turned out to be an excellent, and interesting trip. The normal course we use is the East course, a bit more technical, we like that. It was "recovering" from a dirt event, and well--it was dirty. So the guys used the West course on the first day, that went well, and then switched on the 2nd day to the East and that went well too.

2 more no crash days in the books (really do love hearing that phrase, "No Crash Day".

Some of you know, some might not, but one thing that we have taken to doing at the 2-day camps is run the 2nd day in the oppostite direction. We can do this at some tracks, but not all are appropriate for it (can't do it at Laguna for example).

Really gives the rider 2 tracks instead of one to work on, see how well they can use their new found (or fine tuned) skills.

That or we are just mean.

CF

Some of you know, some might not, but one thing that we have taken to doing at the 2-day camps is run the 2nd day in the oppostite direction. We can do this at some tracks, but not all are appropriate for it (can't do it at Laguna for example).

Really gives the rider 2 tracks instead of one to work on, see how well they can use their new found (or fine tuned) skills.

I think it's an excellent idea! for many tracks, it will force you to learn dealing with decreasing-radius turns.

I take that the road-worthiness test of the A* outfit was done at a different venue, since Miller was a Crash-Free Zone?

Kai

CF

One thought I had about this is that one problem is that as soon as you figure out the track somewhat and can start concentrating on the lessons as opposed to where the track is going, you have to learn another track. not a criticism just an observation.

One thought I had about this is that one problem is that as soon as you figure out the track somewhat and can start concentrating on the lessons as opposed to where the track is going, you have to learn another track. not a criticism just an observation.

AQAJR;

This is one of the greatest aspects of our sport IMHO. Especially when you can start breaking down corners of similar type and then applying what you know about this type and how to minimize the time it takes for you to get through it. I think of Carousels at Watkins Glen, Mid-Ohio, Lightning (at NJMP) Sears Point (aka Infineon) or the Streets of Willow Springs and how to approach them or 180 degree tight turns like 11 at Sears or Pocono or the Bowl (6) at Loudon...High speed kinks like VIR, Mid-Ohio, Mosport or Beaverun...esses like VIR, Sears, Bus Stops like Watkins or Mid-Ohio it's all good!

Personally, I love learning a new track - but that's just me.

Rainman

AQAJR;

This is one of the greatest aspects of our sport IMHO. Especially when you can start breaking down corners of similar type and then applying what you know about this type and how to minimize the time it takes for you to get through it. I think of Carousels at Watkins Glen, Mid-Ohio, Lightning (at NJMP) Sears Point (aka Infineon) or the Streets of Willow Springs and how to approach them or 180 degree tight turns like 11 at Sears or Pocono or the Bowl (6) at Loudon...High speed kinks like VIR, Mid-Ohio, Mosport or Beaverun...esses like VIR, Sears, Bus Stops like Watkins or Mid-Ohio it's all good!

Personally, I love learning a new track - but that's just me.

Rainman

Well said. Learning a new track helps me get back to the fundamentals of riding well. I ran into a lull last season riding the same track several times. As I ventured away from home I found comfort in using the drills to gather RPs. Our visual skills are the most important aspect of riding. Learning a new track awakens them quickly for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Great points.

I know what you mean about already knowing the track, there are some pluses to that. We think it's outweighed by the benefits.

CF

The crew on vacation right now Cobie?

As much as we get! KC and Judy went up to the Sequoias and King's Canyon for a few days, I took a few days when my dad came in town we went rollerblading on Venice beach--full of weirdos, my dad loved it!

Will has been working pretty much hammer and tongs, we still have a few of the old fleet to get rid of, and been keeping parts around for them (really glad when that's done).

I hear young Peter did well at Thunderhill, only this faster was the Aprillias and I'm just assuming they had sick amounts of HP in comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll continue this thread, partly for my own amusement:

A few made the pilgramige (sp?) to Laguna and the GP. I had to stay back for this one, had other duties to see to so watched the GP tape delay.

Any of you that have done up through level 2 notice the 3-step technique that Lorenzo and Rossi would do, from the camera mounted behind?

We had our section of the BMW booth, I know a few of you guys swung by, talked to Whitney, Lyle, Mikey, and Trevor. One piece of key information was evidently there was only one mullet spotted this year.

1st and 2nd place in Daytona Sportibke were guys we are training or have trained: Austin DeHaven and Huntley Nash.

Prepping for the big trip back east, trucks leave on Thursday!

CF

And tomorrow at 5:30am, we are off to the east coast for 6 weeks. Looking forward to riding NJMP and VIR again, and some military schools in between.

I'll get up here as I can, you can always e-mail me if you want to make sure I get you a quick answer: cobie@superbikeschool.com

Best,

Cobie

• 1 month later...

An update from the Aussies: In the words of Adam, our Chief Ride Coach (Australia/New Zealand)... We're back on.

We're assembling at Phillip Island for Monday's school, sold out event as usual... can't wait !

Another Aussie update, we're heading to Eastern Creek Raceway in NSW near Sydney. Ready for two sold out schools back to back, good stuff.

Hello All!!!

Wow, it only seems like it was...6 weeks ago that we left! Excellent trip back east, the schools went very well both started and finished at NJMP, and weather at the end was perfect. Very nice track, I can see why it's as popular as it is.

We have a pretty full fall schedule, with lots of short trips, but I'll be in the office regularly, and up here regularly.

Glad to be back!

Best,

Cobie

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from 4 days at Laguna Seca. Weather forecasters were off the mark, it was pretty warm there the first day, then got cooler for the next 3, final one was absolutely postcard perfect. Several no crash days (we like those), and quite a bit of variety in students.

Looking forward to the rest of the fall schools, the next days coming at the Streets looks to be about perfect too. Maybe we'll see some of you there!

Best,

Cobie

• 3 months later...

Managed to split in three directions at once this last week.

Keith and Dylan flew to India and are wrapping up there this week, will be back on US soil on the 1st of Feb.

Pete got to fly out to Hawaii for work.

Me, Cobie and Whitney got to fly to NYC for the IMS there... It was COLD! :-)

Looking forward to the first school in Vegas on February 19th and 20th, only a few spots left if you are interested. The track is a fun track that we run both directions over the 2 days.

Yeah, Pete was "slaving" away. :)

Actually he did work, but Hawaii really is something (been there only once).

CF

Yeah, it was rough. Had to wake up to the view of the coast and mountains around 7:30 AM. Then talked about motorcycles and riding, watched guys ride, and helped some out -all while working on my tan. I totally felt like a work slave, disgruntled and all.

Yeah, it was rough. Had to wake up to the view of the coast and mountains around 7:30 AM. Then talked about motorcycles and riding, watched guys ride, and helped some out -all while working on my tan. I totally felt like a work slave, disgruntled and all.

Pete,

Is it wrong for me to really not like you right now? :P

Please understand my animosity is probably driven by the fact that I am staring out of my office taking in a wonderful view of the office buildings right next to me. Not to mention it's somewhere just south of freezing here, and the last time I rode my motorcycle I spent all afternoon surfing the sand that DOT has so kindly coated the roads with in a futile attempt to battle the ice.

Of course, I suppose I should be happy I'm not further north this week though, those folks are getting hammered :o.

All kidding aside I hope you had a good trip. It doesn't sound like it was a rough assignment. And I saw some of the pictures of the India trip, I'll bet that was a blast. I have to admit, you all have a good thing going here.

Best,

Carey

Pete,

Is it wrong for me to really not like you right now? :P

Not wrong at all. Pete also farts a lot.