Taping Off Speedo For First Track Days Experience

I'm looking for advice.....

I haven't had any CSS training yet, although I plan to soon. I did spend a day riding on Las Vegas Motor Speedway during a comparison test/sales event a few years ago.

I'm going to Thunderhills this summer for my first 2-day, trackdays experience. I've purchased an 04 GSXR 600 track bike I'll be riding for the first time, with fresh rubber, on an unfamiliar track. I'm concerned about my $10 !!

My question is, should I tape over my speedometer to remove the temptation to look up at it? I think that on the track my ten dollars will be spent so quickly on all the other important things to concentrate on, I'm not sure I want to know how fast I might be going on any perticlar part of the track.

Isn't perception, and confidence, and sense of speed more important than actual speed itself? Atleast as a beginner? I don't have a fear of speed. I just think I'll be better off if I just pay attention to RP's, BP, TC.......

Any advice for a NOOBEE would be appreciated. :blink:

I'm looking for advice.....

I haven't had any CSS training yet, although I plan to soon. I did spend a day riding on Las Vegas Motor Speedway during a comparison test/sales event a few years ago.

I'm going to Thunderhills this summer for my first 2-day, trackdays experience. I've purchased an 04 GSXR 600 track bike I'll be riding for the first time, with fresh rubber, on an unfamiliar track. I'm concerned about my $10 !!

My question is, should I tape over my speedometer to remove the temptation to look up at it? I think that on the track my ten dollars will be spent so quickly on all the other important things to concentrate on, I'm not sure I want to know how fast I might be going on any perticlar part of the track.

Isn't perception, and confidence, and sense of speed more important than actual speed itself? Atleast as a beginner? I don't have a fear of speed. I just think I'll be better off if I just pay attention to RP's, BP, TC.......

Any advice for a NOOBEE would be appreciated. :blink:

I ALWAYS cover my speedo when on the track. My understanding is that "real" racebikes don't have them anyways, so why do I need one???

AB;

JB is right - tape it over because it doesn't matter anyway.

Kevin

AB;

JB is right - tape it over because it doesn't matter anyway.

Kevin

Fellas,

thanks for your input. Honestly, I thought it was a silly question, but I feel strongly about NOT wanting to even care what my speed is, relative to my abilities as a new track rider. Thanks again. :D

I would tape. The first time I went out on my own bike, I found myself looking at the speedo when I would glance down. I told myself "tach only," but still looked at the speedo quite a bit. Tape or better self control is my way.

On your first track day, I would tape up the speedo. There is too much fun to be had on your first track day to be worrying about how fast your going.

Later on I wouldn't worry about it. You can even use the speedo to quantify cornering improvement. Being, that typically the result you want from the exit of most corners (other than being upright) is exit velocity. If time and space permits, you can check the speedo at the exit of the corner (ie: end of a ripple strip) to determine your exit speed. Remember; that improved speed is carried to the next corner. The longer the distance to the next corner, the greater the impact.

And yes, you can use your tacho instead of the speedo for the same metrics (I do on my racebike).

Cheers

I don't look at mine like stated earlier except if your talking about what was said earlier about using it as a measuring tool of improvement when you have the time to take a glance. I don't look at my speedo and not too much of the tach if I can help it. I like to get intune with my machine and listen and feel...