Knee Slider Wear Mean Anything?

Gordo

Hi to everyone

This is my first post on here so please be gentle.

Its about the way your knee slider wears when you are cornering,

my sliders tend not to wear flat but usually wear more on an angle, and then i just turn them round when they are nearly done but some of the guys i ride with seem to get it completely flat and so do most racers i think.

I have got it flat before as i can see it on the puck but i cant remember what was different

I dont know if it means anything, ie a sysmptom of something else and i dont seem to naturally get it completely flat

so whats the score?

Im 5,10, 12 stone been riding bikes for 5 years, Ive done 2 track days croft and cadwell park with more booked this season. I read up as much as i can and when money permits will get to the school.

I ride swiftly mainly on the twisties across yorkshire and the lake district.

Ive had rry fireblade for the last couple of years and have just bought a zx6r o5 to replace it which is a great tool.

My body position is good i think with a cheek off, keeping parallel with the bike, bum at the back, knee locked in to the tank, other knee pulled back, head looking round the screen through the corner, arms bent and grip loose, toes on inside peg. head low...

So is this just the way it is, that some people wear them flat and others more angled or does it mean more?

any advice would be greatly received

great forum by the way

I think there are a couple of modes of thought that come into play here.

1.) The slider is to keep you from destroying your leathers, it serves its purpose so who cares what it wears like...

2.) The slider is used to gauge where one is in relation to lean angle....a product of not screwing up your leathers.

3.) See reason number one

Regardless of what the real purpose for you is, I find that proper positioning of the puck produces less fatigue in my legs. When the pucks aren't positioned correctly, one can have more pulling from catching the apron and more vibration than one would have with two surfaces on the same plane. So for me, the goal is to keep my skin, keep my leathers and put in as many sessions as I possibly can. This is just a secondary thought and I'm not going to fret to much about it when I'm getting ready to ride.

P.S. I prefer leather pucks over plastic.

Depending on your body type, it could be indicative of lean angle.

This is what I've been told and personally found true. The rider is likely "reaching" if the slider wears on the front side of the slider. In this case, the bike isn't leaned over as far, but the rider stretches the knee out to make contact with the ground. By pushing the knee out, they rotate the puck such that the first part to contact is the leading edge. For the same person, at a greater lean angle, the knee does not stick out as much and there is more even wear on the puck. This is all dependent on body type and leg length, but is a general approximation. If two riders of different leg lengths are knee down at a given lean angle with the longer-leg's slider flat on the ground, the shorter-legged person would have to stick their knee out more to contact the road, thereby contacting with the forward edge of the puck.

That's how I see it.

I'm 6'2, and am one who could make it around the track and drag my knee once or twice every couple laps if I have it out just to warn me of how far down I am, but I do it on most corners because the sooner it's on the ground, the faster I can gage what corrections I'm going to make, and how I'm going to come out of the corner. Mine wear on the upper area faster because I'm sticking my leg way out. My avatar shows plenty of clearance, but my knee is down.

Hi Gordon,

Good for posting, and not just lurking :)

This is a good question, not one we've had before I think. Humans are buitl pretty differently for sure. I have short legs, long torso, and have to be 95+ of my max to even get a knee on the ground. I have followed others built differently and seen them with knee on the ground, when I was still in the saddle, no hope of a knee on the ground.

Leathers are also built differently, so can get a bit of variety in where the pucks are placed on the lower legs. We've seen some fit that just barely got the puck on velcro, nothing wrong with the riders position on the bike, just how the leathers were built.

If a rider is using his body to good advantage (not counter-leaning as many often when hanging off), then is angle of the puck a real issue, or could it be "sovled" if it was in another location?

CF

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi Gordon,

Good for posting, and not just lurking :)

This is a good question, not one we've had before I think. Humans are buitl pretty differently for sure. I have short legs, long torso, and have to be 95+ of my max to even get a knee on the ground. I have followed others built differently and seen them with knee on the ground, when I was still in the saddle, no hope of a knee on the ground.

Leathers are also built differently, so can get a bit of variety in where the pucks are placed on the lower legs. We've seen some fit that just barely got the puck on velcro, nothing wrong with the riders position on the bike, just how the leathers were built.

If a rider is using his body to good advantage (not counter-leaning as many often when hanging off), then is angle of the puck a real issue, or could it be "sovled" if it was in another location?

CF

thanks for the answer Cobie, im always looking to see how i can improve my riding, its one of the things that i really like about sports bikes, there always something to work on. its nice to be the first at something on here probably never happen again, lol really glad that i found the forum, you guys are great and it is helping me all the time as i read more and more and then go try put it into practice. especially impressed with the calf raise!

what do you reckon are the chances of a job if you complete all stages of the school?

could be my next career move. Id love to ride bikes for a living

cheers gordon

Hi Gordon,

Great, glad you like the forum, please do contribute!

When you are ready, go and look at the thread on 2009 Riding Coach Search, in the "News" section.

This will give you some idea of what we are looking for, and an application to fill out. When I get that, we schedule an interview, and go from there.

Best,

Cobie

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am new here, but i have the same thoughts as Gordon!!

I have the 996 SPS tyres both front and rear to the edge, so leaning isnt an issue, body position, 1 cheek off, looking around the mirror, 5'8" tall, 31" inside leg.

I have the RST Voltage 1 piece suit, I find my sliders wearing out on the front edge, I even have had the leathers touch.

Where am I going wrong?

Regards