Street V. Track

Hey gang, check this out.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/5/369/3/Moto...ost/Motorcycle-

Go to the middle of the page under "Videos" and click on Crashes-With-Mick

Rainman

I tried, but error on the page...try later.

CF

Hey gang, check this out.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/5/369/3/Moto...ost/Motorcycle-

Go to the middle of the page under "Videos" and click on Crashes-With-Mick

Rainman

I tried, but error on the page...try later.

CF

CF;

Click on the magazine's web link which is in the lower half of the error page;

www.motorcycle-usa.com

Once you get the page to open you can find the video link in the middle of the page. It is worth looking at if you can get around the error. It took me a couple of times before I could open it but it shows in 30 seconds what takes hours to explain to a skeptic about which is a safer environment.

Rain

That's a good video. Loved it. Just thinking about those impacts made me cringe.

On the flip side, here's a track in Jamaica that almost makes the Isle of Man look safe!

Cars, trucks, spectators in impact areas and WALLS galore. Look for the corner worker/spectator sitting on the middle wall with his legs hanging in an impact zone. WOW!

• 2 weeks later...

Good trick video!

Gp circuits have mega run off areas though, here in the UK and Ireland most of our short circuits have something to hit somewhere, or grass instead of kitty litter which causes you to slide for ages before you stop! Also we have road racing, IOM TT and North West 200 being the most famous but there is a series for this, mostly in Northern Ireland and I believe there is still at least one race held in England, worth watching if you get a chance cause it really is full on superbikes on the road! Then of course In Germany you have the Nurburgring, I have been going there every year for 6 years now, you have zero run off and you have to share the track with cars, campervans, and sometimes busses, very dangerous but also very addictive!

Bobby

It's weird, but I was in a discussion (argument) with riders on a local site who were saying that a good rider is just as safe riding on the road as on a track. They also openly argue that the dangers are just as bountiful on our local track that just isn't true. I don't understand how that can be considered safe by anyone. I know people are going to do it. The arguments that knowing the road, and riding at 80% is just as safe just don't fly with me. I know people are going to do it, and was trying not to judge, but damn.

I've had 2 cars decide they had some rights to my lane, while I was in it. On coming traffic, both up in the canyons outside of LA. One time I was crowding the yellow line a little (not over it, but a little close to it), and the other was probably similar.

Both times the cars had 2 wheels on my side.

I leave a nice margin on the road, and give the yellow a bit more room.

Safter than the track, don't see how one could really think that for a serious sport rider.

CF

Frankly, since becoming a track junkie, I don't even enjoy riding on the street any more. The track is a controlled environment with no unknown hazards; the street is the exact opposite. An unknown obstacle can await you in every turn. Gravel, a stalled car, water, a dog, a kid on a bicycle, a snake, for Pete's sake, the list is endless! Before I started going to the track, I used to rail around the turns, telling myself it was safe 'cause I was only giving it 80%. What a bunch of horse hockey! Now I creep around the turns, terrified of what might be awaiting me just after the apex. I suppose it doesn't help that my riding buddy was killed this summer, avoiding 3 young teenagers on bicycles who were in his lane, coming towards him, as he came around a turn.

My friends are all teasing me now 'cause I go so slow on the street. I don't care. I'm taking my sport bikes off the street, and I'm buying an old Boxer, or a GoldWing, or Harley chopper, or Triumph Scrambler, and I'm gonna start cruisin'. And I'm buying a second dedictated track bike to supplement my '02 R6, and I'm going to the track every weekend I can. And to all my friends who are teasing me about how slow I ride on the street, I say, "No problem, I'll see ya' at the track!"

Elton

Can't see anything wrong with going easy on the street. It will be kind a cool when your friends finally go to the track and you scoot by them easily.

Is that too shallow of me? A little one upsmanship.

CF

I think I leave a lot of room for error on the street but I've had others tell me I'm nuts. Eh, my definition of safe is different than most other people. The thing that gets them is that I commit to turns. I respond with yeah but I'm going into the turn so slow I can see if it's safe and I can always pick the bike up and stop within my line of sight.

For your viewing pleasure I present two videos of Deals Gap. One done on an R6 by an ex-racer that runs about my speed at a track. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WbqmFIEGSg

The other done by me on a 2001 FZ-1 in 2003.

One is practically full on race speed. The other, fast but definitely street speed.

I think I leave a lot of room for error on the street but I've had others tell me I'm nuts. Eh, my definition of safe is different than most other people. The thing that gets them is that I commit to turns. I respond with yeah but I'm going into the turn so slow I can see if it's safe and I can always pick the bike up and stop within my line of sight.

For your viewing pleasure I present two videos of Deals Gap. One done on an R6 by an ex-racer that runs about my speed at a track. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WbqmFIEGSg

One is practically full on race speed. The other, fast but definitely street speed.

WOW what a road, we have similar mountain roads here in scotland but with nowhere near that quality of surface!

Bobby

• 2 years later...

For your viewing pleasure I present two videos of Deals Gap. One done on an R6 by an ex-racer that runs about my speed at a track. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3WbqmFIEGSg

Resurrecting an old topic - following the FZ-1 video I stumbled upon this. The difference in smoothness and control between the two is very noticeable.

For your viewing pleasure I present two videos of Deals Gap. One done on an R6 by an ex-racer that runs about my speed at a track. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3WbqmFIEGSg

Resurrecting an old topic - following the FZ-1 video I stumbled upon this. The difference in smoothness and control between the two is very noticeable.

Wow, you can see a LOT of examples of throttle control errors in this one! Here are some that I saw, in various spots on the video:

Delayed (late) roll-on, often followed by abrupt / too aggressive roll-on

Too EARLY (before steering was completed, and he goes wide and almost off the road)

On and off the gas in the midst of the turn

And then at the end, he clearly has a scary moment, which slows him WAY down - what do you think happened there?

Also, did you notice any steering corrections mid-corner? :)

I was lucky in that I went to the Superbike School BEFORE I tried riding fast or aggressively on mountain roads - it must be very frustrating for a rider like this to feel the instabilities of the bike and have those close calls, and not know the mechanics of what is happening or how to fix it!!!

• 1 month later...

And then at the end, he clearly has a scary moment, which slows him WAY down - what do you think happened there?

I'm listening with the sound off (at work :D ) but looking at the speedo needle, he's adding too much throttle while at full lean and I reckon the rear stepped out a little in him and he chopped off.....bike sits up and he gets lucky and just stays on the road.