2011 Us School Dates

...what were the slowest and quickest lap times, just so I know where I fit in the group?

Org;

At the risk of raising some ire from the School or others on this Forum I would like to suggest that this is information that will distract you from why you sign up for the Superbike School in the first place - and will really work against you in the long run.

The School is Not a race and it is Not a track day so to wonder where you "fit in the group" is to shift the focus from how well you do at School to how well you did verses other students; even then the data used to compare yourself to others will be flawed. To see your own times progress over the course of the day makes all the sense in the world and that's a good thing but how you measure up against other students is not why most riders attend the Superbike School IMHO.

Most attend to learn and that involves working on drills that typically should affect a student's speed at different points on the track. The goal is to improve the efficency of each drill on successive laps but that isn't always possible. There is also the "6 foot passing rule" which is rigorously enforced and that no matter how fast you are, at some point on almost every lap you will have to adjust your speed for other students or coaches working with other students and that will affect your lap times in a big big way. YRMV.

I would like to hear other Forum members offer their opinions here because I am a lot dumber than I look.

Rainman

I would like to hear other Forum members offer their opinions here because I am a lot dumber than I look.

Rainman,

I think you're spot on and not dumb at all.

Kai

There can be truth in that for sure Rainman (BTW, what is YRMV?).

Some do spend attention on what others are doing, think they are going too slow and then ride over their heads, or see some one else getting through a turn or turns better, and change what they are doing, without a positive effect!

Others seem to be able to just look at the information, and not make wild changes in their plans, and have it work out.

This would be a good one to get students to chime in on, what have you noticed while at the school?

CF

Laptimes, while being able to see them to gauge improvement, weren't provided to us until the end of the school. While I did improve from 1:16's to 1:03's at the Vegas Classic course while attending, I didn't know until we were collecting the sheets at the end of day two. Ultimately I'd say it's a good overall, and not daily, way to gauge improvement.

Laptimes, while being able to see them to gauge improvement, weren't provided to us until the end of the school. While I did improve from 1:16's to 1:03's at the Vegas Classic course while attending, I didn't know until we were collecting the sheets at the end of day two. Ultimately I'd say it's a good overall, and not daily, way to gauge improvement.

We like to get them out every day, and are still piloting a new timing system, using RFID tags. Still some things to work out, but should be good when done.

We like to get them out every day, and are still piloting a new timing system, using RFID tags. Still some things to work out, but should be good when done.

I agreed 100% with rainman. When I took level I I did it to learn the drills and made the adjustments so I can correct my flows. I used a speed that allowed me to feel comfortable in all the drills. Toward the end I was much faster due to the fact I was executing the techniques much better. For me personally, time was not as important as to apply the correct techniques. Now I can go to the track and see how my laps have improved from session to session. As was explained here, there are going to be slower riders taken the classes that are going to affect of how fast you can go in a specific lap or session.

By the way not offense to anybody. Everybody has a different point of view (goals) when going to a track or a class.

So I got an email about a Laguna Seca 2-Day camp mid-week in April. Does this mean that it's the only Laguna Seca date for the year?? If so, I'm not going to be able to attend at Laguna Seca and will have to travel to the Streets of Willow. :-( and since I live in Monterey, that is quite a drive...

Thanks

-Brian

So I got an email about a Laguna Seca 2-Day camp mid-week in April. Does this mean that it's the only Laguna Seca date for the year?? If so, I'm not going to be able to attend at Laguna Seca and will have to travel to the Streets of Willow. :-( and since I live in Monterey, that is quite a drive...

Thanks

-Brian

Brian,

Yeah, that's it for the spring. We should get some fall days. The reason we got 4 days in September was someone couldn't take those days, they offered them to us and we were able to take them in our schedule.

You won't be unhappy with Streets, promise. It takes me 4.5 hours from Monterey to my house. Streets is even close, I'd think 4 hours would be realistic. One nice thing about Streets is the weather, closest thing to a guarnantee we have. Sometimes a bit breezy, but more nice spring and fall dates there than any where else we have gone. Also, great skid pad.

Let us know if you can make one of those days.

Best,

Cobie

Thanks

-Brian

Brian,

Yeah, that's it for the spring. We should get some fall days. The reason we got 4 days in September was someone couldn't take those days, they offered them to us and we were able to take them in our schedule.

You won't be unhappy with Streets, promise. It takes me 4.5 hours from Monterey to my house. Streets is even close, I'd think 4 hours would be realistic. One nice thing about Streets is the weather, closest thing to a guarnantee we have. Sometimes a bit breezy, but more nice spring and fall dates there than any where else we have gone. Also, great skid pad.

Let us know if you can make one of those days.

Best,

Cobie

Cobie,

Thanks for the info. I am planning on the 2 day camp in March, the 24th/25th. I will be registering for it as soon as I get approval from the head of house.. Hopefully the fall Laguna Seca Dates will line up with my schedule.

-Brian

Brian,

OK, I just checked, that school is half full already. Don't let the minister of War and Finance take too long getting you a decision!

CF