Physical Preparation For School / Track Days..

Cobie, I appreciated you e-mailing your number to discuss this topic, but I wanted to let you get settled after returning from vacay, so I figured I'd post up here and get some thoughts..

I'm starting track days this year and am attending the 2 day course with CSS in August. I am in decent shape, though I need to add more cardio to my normal strength training and flexibility workouts.

I was wondering if there is anything I really need to insure I'm focusing on with my exercise program that will pay dividends on the track and at the school.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Ben

I was wondering if there is anything I really need to insure I'm focusing on with my exercise program that will pay dividends on the track and at the school.

Hi Ben,

I pay close attention to this myself, and notice a definite difference when I do.

Here are some areas that I target and would recommend to others:

1. Abdominal muscles. This will help you hold up your body, instead of strangling the bars.

2. Groin muscles.

3. Calf and quads.

Both 2 and 3 are for holding onto the bike as well. More strength and flexibility in these areas will allow you to hold on better while hanging-off, and while bracing under heavy braking. These are the areas that feel the weakest or are sore after that first rusty school of the year, and no prior work-out.

Of course cardio is good for overall endurance, but personally, strong legs really pays off.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot Pete. That's exactly the type of information I was hoping to get. Based on your recommendation, I have to add some additional work on the groin and calves. Thanks again! Ben

Hi Ben,

I pay close attention to this myself, and notice a definite difference when I do.

Here are some areas that I target and would recommend to others:

1. Abdominal muscles. This will help you hold up your body, instead of strangling the bars.

2. Groin muscles.

3. Calf and quads.

Both 2 and 3 are for holding onto the bike as well. More strength and flexibility in these areas will allow you to hold on better while hanging-off, and while bracing under heavy braking. These are the areas that feel the weakest or are sore after that first rusty school of the year, and no prior work-out.

Of course cardio is good for overall endurance, but personally, strong legs really pays off.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot Pete. That's exactly the type of information I was hoping to get. Based on your recommendation, I have to add some additional work on the groin and calves. Thanks again! Ben

Be careful how much fun you have working those groin muscles ;)

Seriously though, I'd add stretching and strengthening of hip flexors to that list. I tend to organize my workouts very similar to the CrossFit variety, which does a lot for the hip flexors already, but my hip flexors were still screaming by the end of the day.

Be careful how much fun you have working those groin muscles ;)

Seriously though, I'd add stretching and strengthening of hip flexors to that list. I tend to organize my workouts very similar to the CrossFit variety, which does a lot for the hip flexors already, but my hip flexors were still screaming by the end of the day.

Most hold themselves too tight (a problem I know well!). No amount of strength will help in that case.

CF

• 1 year later...

Any fitness gurus here recommend some stretching exercises? I do weight training but I know I stretch a lot less .. trying to learn some yoga stretches but there are too many

Sit on the floor and spread you legs apart as far as they will go - make a V. Toes back but knees relaxed and lean into the floor with a straight back. Lean at the hip. Stretch your fingers out in front of you and r e l a x into the stretch. Warm up and warm down. 20 minutes worth a night.

When you've done this for a few nights, tense up the legs and as soon as you release, go further into the stretch.

Then there are hip flexors which is right foot and knee on the floor with your body pointing straight up. Left leg out in front and don't allow the left shin in below the knee joint. Move your upper body forwards and open up the groin. Forwards with the body, down with the groin. Same technique as above and then swap over.

Or try this - http://www.omcircleyoga.com/class-notes/hanumanasana/hanumanasana.shtml

Or join a yoga class and tell your teacher what you want to achieve - ask for some stretches to do at home.

DiD

Bikram aka hot yoga might be worth asking about.

The heat humidity warm up soft tissue, so one can achieve flexy at less risk and quicker than otherwise.

The isometry builds pivot-steer core strength and core endurance.

The balances build the locking-on muscles, the active suspension muscles, the peg-weighting muscles.

The rigor of the heat / humid is good training for controlling breathing under stress in hot leathers in high summer at VIR, and after breath-stealing events on the track. I personally have to focus on controlling anxiety when the heat humid heart rate begin to claustrophobe and find HY a good training ground -- karma demerits when you run out the sauna screaming :0)

Ago

Archived