Countersteering

Can one of the CSS instructors comment on this.... this is from my "home forum".. and based on what I've read in Twist 1 and 2.. I tend to agree with the first and third poster...

1st poster

"That's pretty crazy.

Also interesting to note that because of the low speed, he is actually steering into the corners (as opposed to counter-steering).

I would definitely like to see him try that on a STR...

Scott"

2nd poster

"Just on a side note, motorbikes go around corners by steering into them at all speeds. Fast or slow. What a counter-steer does is get the bike to lean in a certain direction, after which the bars self-correct and turn into the corner. We don't continue counter steering once the bike is leaned over, well, not unless we want to lean over even more than we are, in which case we give a counter-push, but then stop pushing once we're happy with our lean angle. The larger the turning radius, the less the bars needs to turn in, and so the less noticable it is. This is why at higher speeds people don't notice that the wheel is actually turning into the corner.

You can get away without counter-steering at lower speeds, because body weight shift coupled with the resistance and stiffness of the tyres, is usually sufficient to get the bike to lean to one side or the other. You can still counter-steer to lean at lower speeds too if you want, it's just that it's such a strong effect that it's harder to control than merely weight shifting."

3rd poster

"umm...I'm with you on it creates lean angle, but on the freeway if I push my right hand forward my bike goes right. The more I push the harder it goes right and I can counter the lean angle by adjusting my weight off the bike to the right. If you push forward with your left hand I don't care how much you weigh I don't think you'll be able to offset the steering to go right lol."

2nd poster again

"Once the bike is leaned over, you don't have to keep on pushing to keep on turning. If you do, something is wrong with your bike's geometry. "

So to summarize... I am under the impression that to initiate the turn, you countersteer, and then once the lean angle is set, pressure is released from the inside bar, the wheel remains turned the opposite direction of the turn??????

Thanks

Brian

bloody hell. that's impressive! :blink:

Cant argue with you there. I got dizzy just watching that.

Wild riding. Looks like a LOT of fun. I really want to try this and wish it would come to the United States. Police Rodeos with H-Ds, STs or VFRs just aren't really the same.

Did you notice at the very end, that the bike had some sturdy crash bars on it? They're up pretty high so they won't grind, but they're there to protect the riders knees. When you play like that, you WILL fall down.

Physics is some crazy stuff. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I understand, motorcycles always counter steers to lean over. In this video, and on motorcycle racing videos, the counter steering happens so quickly that you almost can't see it. Why? All you've got to do is get the bike falling over past the center of gravity (to start falling in). Then the front tire will turn in and track the diameter of the circle you are traveling.

Notice how far turned IN the front wheel is when the riders is circling one individual cone. The tired is cranked way over--steering INTO the turn--because the circle he's traveling is so very small. It's happening just the same on a 120' circle, but you see it much more on a 20' circle.

So to summarize... I am under the impression that to initiate the turn, you countersteer, and then once the lean angle is set, pressure is released from the inside bar, the wheel remains turned the opposite direction of the turn??????

You are correct, and you will learn and experience all of this at the camp!

BEst,

BEst,

The wheel doesn't remain turned in the opposite direction of the turn, once you release pressure off the bars the wheel tracks back into the direction of the turn. You counter steer every turn weather you think you do or not.

The wheel doesn't remain turned in the opposite direction of the turn, once you release pressure off the bars the wheel tracks back into the direction of the turn. You counter steer every turn weather you think you do or not.

Quite right. What is not often noticed is that at slow speeds, when a person shifts the weight, the bars coutner steer anyway (if one lets them). One can do a simple experiment with this on their own, even on a bicycle it will countersteer (hands off the bars).

For sure the rider in the video was not shifting his weight to steer, he remained right with the bike at all times.

CF

BEst,

Oops.... I misread this: "the wheel remains turned the opposite direction of the turn??????" I'm actually sitting here laughing out loud at myself, and slightly embarrassed. :wacko:

If the wheel did stay in the opposite direction you would steer the thing into the ground.

BEst,

Oops.... I misread this: "the wheel remains turned the opposite direction of the turn??????" I'm actually sitting here laughing out loud at myself, and slightly embarrassed. :wacko:

If the wheel did stay in the opposite direction you would steer the thing into the ground.

Thanks for all the replies guys... I understand countersteering to get the bike to tip over and turn, but I guess I was unclear about what exactly happened when you released pressure on the bars...

Thanks for all the replies guys... I understand countersteering to get the bike to tip over and turn, but I guess I was unclear about what exactly happened when you released pressure on the bars...

Clear now?

CF

Archived