1 Piece Vs 2 Piece

Hello everyone,

I am looking to buy my first set of leathers and wanted to get peoples opinions between a 1 piece and a 2 piece suit. What are the pros and cons between the two and also what you prefer and why. Thanks in advance!

Ozzy

If it's for track-use only I'd go for the 1 piece, if it's the occasional track day and mainly road use, I'd go for a 2 piece.

2 piece is more versatile, you can wear the jacket with jeans and in an accident they can gain access to your limbs with a lot less difficulty.

1 piece will be stronger as you're not relying on a zip and the connecting stitching to hold it together.

Horses for courses.

If it's for track-use only I'd go for the 1 piece, if it's the occasional track day and mainly road use, I'd go for a 2 piece.

2 piece is more versatile, you can wear the jacket with jeans and in an accident they can gain access to your limbs with a lot less difficulty.

1 piece will be stronger as you're not relying on a zip and the connecting stitching to hold it together.

Horses for courses.

I'm with Steve. I have both and have crashed in both (only at the track) and the one piece is better for that circumstance IMHO. On the street I rarely use the one piece because of its limited (read non-existent on the Italian made suit) pockets for wallet and cell phone.

My two piece is very well made with a full circumference zipper yet it still separated in one of my get offs. YRMV.

Rainman

Steve and Rainman are dead on.

I used an A-stars street jacket and track pants last year. They were functional but I'm not easy to fit so I wasn't comfortable (the leg armor never seemed to be in the right place). But they were cost effective since they could do double duty (street and track). I recently upgraded to a custom one piece for the track (Ayden Lee Racing - outstanding customer service and I'm very happy with the product) and my comfort level is much improved. I also feel I am much safer, primarily because the suit fits but also because there is no zipper to fail.

A word of caution, if you buy an actual 2 piece suit (like the A-stars RC-1 2 piece for example), I've heard that the top does not work well as a stand alone jacket. Not sure myself but I thought it worth mentioning.

By the way, my A-stars track pants are available for a reasonable cost should anyone be interested (waist size 42-44 US). :)

You can rent leathers from the school if you want to try a full suit before you buy. I think the cost for gear is $75 a day for the one-day schools and it is included if you do the two-day camp.

Thanks guys!

You have given me some food for thought. I am debating between the Alpinestars SP-1 one piece and the Alpinestars Monza two piece. Your input definitely will help me with my decision. Also, will be renting the school leathers for my 11th and 12th school dates to see if a one piece suits me. Thanks again gentlemen!

Ozzy

Don't know how hot it gets where you are but I have perforated one piece for the occasional track day and when its hot in summer and an ordinary two piece for most of my road riding. Have a windproof undersuit for the perf one.

Archived