Nube To Slicks And Warmers

Just purchased my first track bike and I'm not sure what to do with the slick tyres?

I've always ridden my road bikes on track and used street rubber but common sense (possibly old age) finally caught up with me and I sold my expensive road going superbike to buy an inexpensive track bike.

I've ended up with a GSXR 750 K1 which has been a race/track bike from new and is in perfect mechanical condition, fully race prep'd and well spec'd.

The bike has got used slicks fitted (Pirelli dragon slicks) and a spare pair of wheels with full Pirelli wets on.

The thing is, I've never ridden on slicks before, nor full wets and never used tyre warmers.

I don't kow how long slicks should last?

Don't know much about heat cycles but I assume thats every time they've got hot and cooled back down again? The pair thats on it have done three heat cycles (or so I'm told) and appear to have life left in them accoring to the wear markers.

Don't know if there performance will have degraded after three heat cycles?

I'll probably replace the pair thats on there now very soon (or straight away depending on the feedback I get to this post) but I wouldn't know what to replace them with?

I've done a little research and the tyres which seem to get getting recomended are the Dunlop GP 211 slicks in endurance compound and the new Pirelli superbike pros.

Both these tyres claim not to need tyre warmers and apparently give a reasonably long life for a track tyre but I don't know which will be best?

I'm really looking forwards to riding on slicks just to experience the extra grip but don't have tonnes of money to burn, so I'm looking for something thats reasonably good value for money.

And for once I'm looking forwards to riding in the wet (we get enough experience of that in the UK) due to having full wet tyres availble but I have no idea what to expect or if there's any technique I need to adopt?

Any advice would be welcome!!

Cheers, J

I've done a little research and the tyres which seem to get getting recomended are the Dunlop GP 211 slicks in endurance compound and the new Pirelli superbike pros.

Both these tyres claim not to need tyre warmers and apparently give a reasonably long life for a track tyre but I don't know which will be best?

Move away from the idea that some tires "NEED" warmers and some do not. This is a myth.

Using warmers only enables you to go fast right out of the gate. While not using warmers, you need to take a couple laps to warm the tires fully until you can go very fast.

There is not special or chemical reason you "MUST!" us warmers.

Just purchased my first track bike and I'm not sure what to do with the slick tyres?

Don't know much about heat cycles but I assume thats every time they've got hot and cooled back down again? The pair thats on it have done three heat cycles (or so I'm told) and appear to have life left in them accoring to the wear markers.

Don't know if there performance will have degraded after three heat cycles?

Cheers, J

Check this thread to get more information on heat cycles:

http://forums.superbikeschool.com/index.php?showtopic=2554&view=findpost&p=20724

I'm really looking forwards to riding on slicks just to experience the extra grip but don't have tonnes of money to burn, so I'm looking for something thats reasonably good value for money.

And for once I'm looking forwards to riding in the wet (we get enough experience of that in the UK) due to having full wet tyres availble but I have no idea what to expect or if there's any technique I need to adopt?

Any advice would be welcome!!

Cheers, J

Dont place too much emphasis on the idea that all slicks are better than other DOT tires. Not all slicks are created equal. Going from a Pirelli DOT to higher performance Pirelli slick may be an upgrade, but if it was a track day Pirelli slick it would not be an upgrade. Alike, going from the D211GP N-Tec DOT to a Pirelli slick may also not be an upgrade.

Advice on riding in the rain. Take things on a gradient. Take it in slow even steps. Don't go throwing the bike into turn one at full race pace. Get a feel for it first. In the rain, the window of grip is smaller, so the smoother you are on the throttle the better.

Jamie,

My fastest lap time at Road Atlanta was on 5 year old Dunlop Slicks....how many heat cycles? No clue. Put the tire warmers on, get the tires up to temp with the correct pressure and ride.

Thanks for the replies people.

I've doing level 2 CSS next week at Silverstone and I think I'll leave the tyres on that are fitted now based on the feedback so far....pirelli slicks of some kind.... and see how they go.

I think theres a tyre guy there, so if they feel very wrong I can get them changed.

Still not sure what to replace them with though? So much choice and so little knowledge :blink:

Are the d211 slicks going to give more grip than the treaded version and any idea how long they would last?

I used the treaded versions for an amateur endurance race last year and they lasted an entire morning of practice and a 3hour race at 18psi on the rear. See pic attached of tyre at the end of the race.

They were the grippiest tyre I've ever used and I was impressed but I'm curious as to whether the slick version would be another step up again?

Cheers, Jamie

post-22355-0-32873800-1307643429_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies people.

I've doing level 2 CSS next week at Silverstone and I think I'll leave the tyres on that are fitted now based on the feedback so far....pirelli slicks of some kind.... and see how they go.

I think theres a tyre guy there, so if they feel very wrong I can get them changed.

Still not sure what to replace them with though? So much choice and so little knowledge :blink:

Are the d211 slicks going to give more grip than the treaded version and any idea how long they would last?

I used the treaded versions for an amateur endurance race last year and they lasted an entire morning of practice and a 3hour race at 18psi on the rear. See pic attached of tyre at the end of the race.

They were the grippiest tyre I've ever used and I was impressed but I'm curious as to whether the slick version would be another step up again?

Cheers, Jamie

It is my understanding that the D211GP (UK made DOT tire) is better than the D211 racer GP slicks (which is French made)

If what you had worked better than anything else, why would you change?

Archived