Workouts Specific To Track Riding?

When I started track riding I signed up with a personal trainer and began working out with a focus on aerobics and core strength. I have noticed a huge improvement in my general core strength however after doing level 3 I noticed the muscles that I need to execute a proper Hip Flick need work. Specifically I have discovered that my inner thighs are in need of development. I'm going to discuss that with my trainer, once I find a new one (last one moved to California – she must have heard Cobie lives there) but I thought I would see if anyone here has any suggestions or has anyone developed a routine or specific exercises to work on this?

More generally I'm also curious if anyone has an overall regimen they have developed specifically to address the needs of track riding? Personally I am not looking for something that would rival the training habits of Stoner or Rossi, just things that an average middle-aged wannna-be track-head could use to improve his mediocre game…

I can tell you what i do in a usual week of fitness.

MONDAY: gym class (ie SPIN, or some other high cardio low impact workout) for 45 to 50mins

TUESDAY: Hockey Training (which includes running and fitness) for 2 hrs

WEDNESDAY: Weights at the gym ( Specifically targeted at back, shoulders and arms to build up strength and stamina) for 30-40mins

THURSDAY: Hockey Training for 2 Hrs

FRIDAY: RECOVERY DAY

SATURDAY: Hockey Match or in the off season a gym class (70 mins plus 30 mins warm up and warm down)

SUNDAY: Pool Recovery Session.

In Summer the Mondays would usual be replaced with indoor hockey and the Tuesday/thursday training night replaced with a 40-50 run or pool session.

I focus alot on cardio and lean muscle development because theres no point being a 120kg body builder on a motorbike. and hockey is good not only for general fitness but it also keeps your brain working with hand-eye coordination training.

Just what i do but being a "average middle-aged wannna-be track-head" just try and do something everyday for at least 40mins.

I've been doing the P90 and P90x workouts on and off for the past year, I say on and off and I do mean it, I'll have bouts where I spend maybe 3 months without doing anything, then I'll get up and do something every weekday morning before work when I set my mind to it. I like these as I can just do them in my living room at home and don't have to bother with the gym.

I'd have thought that lunges and squats would help a lot with the calf muscles, especially wide-stance squats

This has been something that I've been very interested in over the past 18months or so. What type of physical characteristics most aid a rider, and how does one go about getting them.

I would suggest that what a motorcyclist requires from their body is somewhat similar to that of a martial artist. I think Bruce Lee would have had the perfect physique for road racing! Fast, light, balanced, and flexible, with excellent co ordination.

Broadly I would steer away from any heavy weights or weight machines, and towards funtional movements. As Level 3 no doubt showed you the legs and core are the key areas, so as Steve has mentioned squats and lunges should probably form the foundation of much of your training. I personally rate pilates quite highly for its core strength and flexibility benefits. It's no coincidence that many top level riders are also very good cyclists, which again points to the importance of good strength and endurance in the legs.

You'll notice that I'm somewhat non-specific about this. I'm no expert on the human body, but I'd like to think I have a bit of an idea on a rider's requirements. I think it would be very interesting for someone who has a very good understanding of what is required to perform the actions neccessary to ride a motorcycle (ie a CSS coach or student) to get together with someone who has a very good understanding of how to achieve those things (ie a fitness professional) and see what they come up with.

Anyone done anything like that?

Hi all. I'd love to hear some pro advice.

But this is what i do. As already mentioned nothing that will bulk up the muscles. But I invented this for my circumstances and didn't do any research as such. Just got on the bike and felt where I was weakest.

This is what I do in each 45 minute session (essentially my lunch brake):

Monday: Body Pump class. This is a 45min full body workout using light-medium weights designed for strength (has lots of leg work)

Tuesday: Cross trainer, cycle machine, rowing machine, stretching. 10mins for each machine, 15mins stretching.

Wed: Rest

Thursday: Spin class

Friday: Leg and core workouts like squats, lunges, plank, sit ups (no weights) then stretching.

Saturday: Trackday or Rest

Sunday: Rest

• 4 months later...

Hey,

I'm glad to see this question asked. When I asked it locally, I got some pretty derisive responses -- channeling Loudon days when racers all drank, smoked, gambled ... and staggered to the track hungover ... or so I hear

:lol:

(Reminds me too of those self-administered IVs on the DMZ ... or so I hear)

Wierd, too, I must be in touch with my sensitive side ... I'm usually one of 3 guys in classes of 25 women at my gym. Here's what I do, while not wearing leg-warmers <_< wise-guys:

1. Yoga, hot and otherwise -- lots of scenery -- but mostly hot, to build up heat/humid tolerance for deep south and east coast days on the track. Hot Bikram Yoga is 1:45 of 105 heat and piped-in humidity. It really sucks. Yoga in general has helped me with chronic shoulder and hamstring injuries from Army stuff. It has also helped with balance and relaxation of arms, esp for forearm pump and chicken wings. The emptying of mind and calming exercises are informative, too. Ask Frank Zappa when Emilio and I went nuts in one Monday session and had to be Wall-to-Wall counseled. Yoga, Radiohead, same Suspension-Settling effect.
  2. Interestingly, my local trackday org brings in a Massage Therapist -- that's pretty damn nice, especially for the pumps.
  3. Pilates -- not that you could tell by looking :( ... but think about the benefits of core stability for Level 3 Drills: Pivot Steering, Knee2Knee and The Hip Flick so dashingly demonstrated last weekend at WSIR by Twinkletoes Castanik
  4. Stagger, mostly to my 0530h spin class for Knees-As-Shock thigh strength then 0630h Core Class with Socially-Stunted-Stacy for general unpleasantness
  5. I do all my weights on a Bosu Ball for stability, proprioception, balance and reflexes
  6. Total Conditioning for Muscle Confusion
  7. Single-track mountain biking with my buddies Mookey and Kevo -- reflexes, sliding, lines. When I mentioned to Mookey that some of the CSS principles might inform his cigarette-boat mountain-biking he waved his hand dismissively, said "I just ride, man."

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='justin giron' timestamp='1319821362' post='25101']

...I'm usually one of 3 guys in classes of 25 women at my gym...

Ok, that got my attention. Clearly I need to change my workouts because when it comes to women I need odds like that!

All kidding aside, I need to work on my core strength and flexibility. The level three drills showed me some areas that need improvement, specificly the knee-to-knee and the hip-flick. I am getting unwanted steering input from using my arms to "assist" my movement in the saddle (esp. late in the day).

Archived