First Timer Nerves

Hi

I'm so new to this that I haven't even been on a superbike school yet! I have my first day booked for 12th September and I don't mind admitting I am terrified!!

I've been riding 6 years - I admit to not getting out as often as I should and I booked the day to try to increase my own confidence, and help me when I ride with my husband -he is much more of a natural rider than I am. About a month ago I had an accident on the bike - I have got back on since then but I have even less confidence than before. I am afraid that I won't ever get back to where I was before, and that will be a waste!

I was apprehensive about going on level 1 before the accident, but now I'm plain scared and it don't feel good!!

Is it still the right thing to do or should I try to build up confidence myself before I get on a track with loads of other people? Will the instructors have enough time to help me? or will I be slowing other people down?

Trix

I'm so new to this that I haven't even been on a superbike school yet! I have my first day booked for 12th September and I don't mind admitting I am terrified!!...Will the instructors have enough time to help me? or will I be slowing other people down?

Trix;

Welcome to the forum.

The School has been dealing with disparity in rider skill levels for thirty years and they know how to manage it. As long as you do your part and focus on what you are taught to do and not worry about the others on the track, you will do fine. Better yet, you are going to see your confidence come back quicker than you could have done on your own. I know because I recovered my own confidence with them after a get off a few years ago. Just make sure you come back up here and tell us how it went for you OK?

Mika

Welcome to the form Trix!

One of the great things about CSS is that it is a school. The focus is learning and improving, not setting lap times, and most everyone I've encountered while taking classes understands this (and if they don't the staff will explain it to them).

I had never been to the track before I took level 1 and I was apprehensive as well but when it comes to riding, it was the best thing I have ever done. I had a close call about 6 weeks after the class and I am positive it would have ended much differently (and much worse) had it happended before my level 1. As with most things in life, education is the key. And the coaches are great, they are knowledgeable and supportive and will help you work on what you need help with and at the appropriate level for your skill set. They will tell you to ride at the pace that is comfortable to you and you will learn.

I have written detailed reviews of levels 1-4; if you are interested I would be happy to send them to you. Perhaps having an idea of what's in store will ease your worries.

And as Mika said, post up how you did. I would be surprised if you are anything but completely happy you took the class.

Good luck,

Carey

Hi

I'm so new to this that I haven't even been on a superbike school yet! I have my first day booked for 12th September and I don't mind admitting I am terrified!!

I've been riding 6 years - I admit to not getting out as often as I should and I booked the day to try to increase my own confidence, and help me when I ride with my husband -he is much more of a natural rider than I am. About a month ago I had an accident on the bike - I have got back on since then but I have even less confidence than before. I am afraid that I won't ever get back to where I was before, and that will be a waste!

I was apprehensive about going on level 1 before the accident, but now I'm plain scared and it don't feel good!!

Is it still the right thing to do or should I try to build up confidence myself before I get on a track with loads of other people? Will the instructors have enough time to help me? or will I be slowing other people down?

Trix

Trix,

Coming to the school will do wonders for your confidence. Everyone at the school will be happy to have you there and will be very supportive. Many Level 1 students (most, probably) have never been on the track before, it will be their first time and they will be nervous, too. The school will explain everything you need to do, and no one will care how fast or slow you ride - it is all about riding at your own pace so you can improve and have a great day. I agree with Mika - coming to the school will help you regain your confidence much more quickly than sorting it out on your own, plus once you get a few laps in and relax a bit you'll have a darn good time. :)

Where are you attending the school?

My CSS level 1 class also was my first time on a race track. I had been riding for nearly 23 years, but I knew it was going to be a new and different and exciting experience, and I too was nervous getting on the track. This said, I have to agree with all the other posts made so far. The CSS staff is phenomenal and no one cares how fast or slow you ride - everyone rides to his/her pace. I think you will have a fantastic experience and I believe you will come away from the school with a new level of confidence with your riding skills. Please let us know how things turn out.

Hi

Trix

Trix,

Coming to the school will do wonders for your confidence. Everyone at the school will be happy to have you there and will be very supportive. Many Level 1 students (most, probably) have never been on the track before, it will be their first time and they will be nervous, too. The school will explain everything you need to do, and no one will care how fast or slow you ride - it is all about riding at your own pace so you can improve and have a great day. I agree with Mika - coming to the school will help you regain your confidence much more quickly than sorting it out on your own, plus once you get a few laps in and relax a bit you'll have a darn good time. :)

Where are you attending the school?

You have nothing to worry about.

Let me explain . . . My girlfriend and I just got back from Level I and II @ VIR. I am pretty high energy, competitive by nature and have a pretty high tolerance for speed and stupidity. I've been doing track days pretty regularly since 2005. My girlfriend is mellow, relaxed, athletic but not nearly as "go go gadget" as I am. She did her first track weekend last year. We were in the same class and I was really worried that either I'd be bored out of my mind puttering along at a child's pace OR she'd be absolutely terrified being abused by racers, nutjobs and jackasses like myself. Neither worry ever became reality. The instruction and race control is such that the more experienced people WILL learn and will do so at their pace but it's managed in such a way that it doesn't affect the less experienced riders. They are ALL about preserving everyone's experience, making sure you learn, you get what you came for, you are reasonably challenged but not overwhelmed.

Honestly, I came tremendously OVER prepared for this experience. I had my full kit with me, paddock stands, EZ Up, food, water, tire warmers, etc. I dragged probably 200lbs of additional stuff across the US that I could have left at home. All I really needed was a bike in good condition, a set of leathers and a good attitude. If I wanted to rent the leathers and the bike I could probably have showed up in my underwear with a smile on and the rest would have been fine.

The big word of advice is this: listen to everything they say in the classroom and do the drill they instruct. It can't get any easier than that. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Trix,

I was nervous as well as it was my first time out on a track. Just go at your own pace and you'll have a great time. Completed level I on Monday and level II in the rain on Tuesday....the drill I keep repeating in my mind is RELAX. Your confidence will increase by the end of the day...guaranteed.

Trix, congrats on your upcoming class! As Brad and the others have echoed ... being nervous is a normal response to the unkown/new experience. I've been a rider for almost a decade and was on my 3rd bike before I attended level I at the VIR. I second guessed my abilities and was afraid of crashing or trying to keep up with fast riders.

"Students" are instructed to ride at 75%-80% of their own abilities, the rider in front has the right of way- making it the faster rider's responsibility to ensure a safe pass while s/he maintains a 6ft safety bubble. Ride at your speed, adhere to the drills being taught, stay hydrated, relax and have FUN. Like I said, nerves are normal and we all get the butterflies at the track. My experience was nothing short of enlightening and was reinforced by a new sense of confidence...I'm confident your experience will be similar.

Thanks everyone for the support. I'm aiming to get the best out of the day by trying to relax and enjoy the experience!

If you can find a map of the track online and print it out I think it will help. Being able to see where you're going ahead of time - it's like having a drawn map to someone's house. Have fun and write us back on how it goes!!

Hi Trix,

Can you let us know how you got on with your L1 class on the 12th Sept ??

I heard it was a bit windy. :rolleyes:

Andy

Hi everyone

Well I survived the day!! Just wanted to thank everbody for their comments and to say how right you were! I was still paralysed with fear waiting for the sighting lap but by the end of the day I couldn't believe the difference! It was a 'tad' windy! Only I could pick the tail end of a hurricane to ride in but I was so glad I did it.

Spidy was my instructor for the day and soon made me feel at ease, everything came together and it can only get better with practice. Whilst I never doubted they get results with their methods, I never thought they would work for me, but the last drill blew my mind!! I will be putting the drills into practice as soon as I get the chance, and will be building up to level 2 next year!

Thanks again

Trix :D

Just wanted to say what a brilliant job YOU did at Stowe. You were the perfect student, open minded and prepared to try something different.

I'm so glad you got such a result from the day, I knew the Two-Step would change your motorcycling life! Ride safe, keep practicing the Drills, hopefully see you for Level 2 next year. :)

Just wanted to say what a brilliant job YOU did at Stowe. You were the perfect student, open minded and prepared to try something different.

I'm so glad you got such a result from the day, I knew the Two-Step would change your motorcycling life! Ride safe, keep practicing the Drills, hopefully see you for Level 2 next year. :)

• 3 weeks later...

HI Trix,

You describe exactly how most people feel attending their very 1st Track Day or Track school.

I promise after your 1st session, the nerves would be less and the more you will enjoy as the day grows.

You might even think, I should have done this much earlier.....

Dont stress, its normal to feek like this but I guarantee once you listen to the Instructors vast knowledge of basic riding and getting faster, your confidence will increase!

NB - Knowledge = Confidence (From the Words of Glen for my Level 1 CSS on the 1st October 2011)

Keep us posted and Enjoy!

Archived