Use The Funny Bike

One of the things which I wish I could do more often is to use the "funny bikes" - one of the best teaching aides: where else could the bad body position be more obvious then on the lean bike?

post-22402-0-26378700-1319110082_thumb.jpg

Notice how backside is hanging out while upper body is twisted the other way? Don't do this, kids, or big bad Cobie will beat you up.

post-22402-0-93438400-1319110417_thumb.jpg

Worked for Doohan :P

Anybody read Fast Bikes from UK? I rarely do, but an issue landed in my lap recently and I noticed at least on of them mentioning what he'd learned on CSS, yet his composure was pretty weird compared to what I've learned here; hanging off a lot, knee on the deck with bike not leaned much, torso over the tank. At least two of the testers looked quite awkward on the bikes. Perhaps they're just trying to look dramatic on the pictures?

I've picked up Fast Bikes over here a time or two. It's not one of my favorites but coming from the UK it does have a different feel to it compared to the magazines over here which can be interesting. They also blasted my bike in a review so I'm still miffed at them. :angry:

But I know what you are saying Eirik, they do like to get off the bike. It probably makes for more magazine sales.

And I agree, the "funny bikes" are great learning tools. Just a few minutes on the lean bike was transformational for me. I'm hoping to give the slide bike a shot next spring.

post-16961-0-32406700-1319112439_thumb.jpg

Are the funny bikes exclusive to the U.S. based schools? I would love the chance to learn on one of them, heck - maybe I'll just have to take a trip over to the States one of these days.

Are the funny bikes exclusive to the U.S. based schools? I would love the chance to learn on one of them, heck - maybe I'll just have to take a trip over to the States one of these days.

Apparently no Oz tracks have enough space to run a funny bike.

If you're going to the States, make sure you give yourself time to get over jetlag - nothing like falling asleep in the middle of a session.

Apparently no Oz tracks have enough space to run a funny bike.

If you're going to the States, make sure you give yourself time to get over jetlag - nothing like falling asleep in the middle of a session.

Haha yeah - the last training I did I rode for a day to get there (on my Gixxer, after I'd just installed rearsets), did the tuition the next day - then rode home the day after. I won't do that again. laugh.gif

No space in Oz? You for real - we've got plenty in the outback that no one is using! tongue.gif

Anyway - I think I would prefer to go to Silverstone, and do a bunch of European track days while I'm there. Good plan!

Yes, come to Silverstone! Be aware though that the 'Stowe' Circuit doesn't use any of the main track unlike the 'International' that uses the southern part of the main track and works out of the 'Wing' building pits and the 'National' that uses the northern part of the main circuit and uses the old pits.

Archived