2-Day Camp Oct 4-5 + Coderace

I'll be making the trek over to the Willows Springs Racetrack to do the 2-day Camp on Oct 4-5 and hopefully CodeRACE the following two days (I'm on the waiting list). It would be fun to put faces on more names than the coaches, so do come over and say hello if you're there.

I'll be the tall guy (6'6") in the (slightly scuffed) Yamaha bumblebee leathers.

I'm heading over around Oct 1st. After the school days I plan to go see/photo-shoot Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon and possibly more before heading back around Oct 13th.

Kai

That Sounds like a great trip Kai. And if you get the chance to do Code RACE you'll have to let us know how it goes. I am rcurious what the student experience is in that class.

And post up a few pictures of your photoshoot of the canyons if you get a chance.

Best,

Carey

• 3 months later...

That Sounds like a great trip Kai. And if you get the chance to do Code RACE you'll have to let us know how it goes. I am rcurious what the student experience is in that class.

Carey,

I have locked in my place at CodeRACE, I'll undoubtedly be very sore from 4 days of riding B). Flight reservation has been done, now's the time to look for rental car and accommodation.

Can anyone recommend a hotel/motel near the Willows Springs racetrack?

Cobie, Hottie: where do people usually stay?

Kai

The are a couple hotels nearby... Last year when I was at Willow I know a number of students stayed at the Devonshire Inn (2076 W Rosamond Blvd, Rosamond, CA) which is roughly 5 miles from the track. If you're looking for something fancier then you'll have to head south toward Palmdale - there is a Hampton Inn, Comfort Suites, Holiday Inn Express, etc., in that area which is about 20-30 minutes from the track. Palmdale also is where the greatest variety of restaurants is located. If your budget will allow, I'd suggest you stay in the Palmdale area.

Devonshire Inn is closest, but I stayed there once some years ago and I wouldn't recommend it; it's very basic and the security is poor.

The Inn of Lancaster is nice, and the Holiday Inn Express or Comfort Inn near Ave K in Lancaster are both great and have ample parking for trailers if anyone is hauling bikes. All three of those are about 20 min from the track.

1344143547[/url]' post='28696']
1334834594[/url]' post='26980']

Carey,

I have locked in my place at CodeRACE, I'll undoubtedly be very sore from 4 days of riding B). Flight reservation has been done, now's the time to look for rental car and accommodation.

Can anyone recommend a hotel/motel near the Willows Springs racetrack?

Cobie, Hottie: where do people usually stay?

Kai

That's awesome Kai. I can't wait to hear about it. And you may be sore...but 4 days at the track would probably have my knees filing for emancipation. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll look into the Inns in the Palmdale area mentioned.

Carey: I'll keep you guys posted, but don't hold your breath 'cause I'm not a tweeter kinda guy (not fb).

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll look into the Inns in the Palmdale area mentioned.

Carey: I'll keep you guys posted, but don't hold your breath 'cause I'm not a tweeter kinda guy (not fb).

Me either! The world's collective attention span is getting smaller than a politician's conscience.

We'll wait patiently for the full story when you have time to do it justice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a quick update: I'm now sitting a breakfast diner in Las Vegas after 4 great days at Willows.

Interestingly, I was much more knackered after the first two days at the big track than after the Race school.

I had so much fun at the race school that they had to charge me an extra $1100 :-\ (the front tucked after the apex of T12 going into the skidpad).

Thanks especially to the coaches that I directly worked with: Pete, Dylan, Jon, Johnny and Chris. The rest of the team was great too, of course :-)

Joe Roberts did a 1:16.2 in qualifying on the 2nd day - a 1.5 sec improvement over his race time on Saturday. Where did he find that? "The Kink" :o

My best laptime was a 1:28.8. Best non-Joe rider did a 1:22.x as I recall.

I'll summarize later when I get off the cell phone and get to a computer.

Still on the phone:

S1000RR impressions.

Rain mode: docile beemer. Yawn.

Sport mode: hey, this thing is actually has an engine!

Race mode: becomes finicky and touchy on the gas.

Slick mode: No DTC. Slip' Slidin' Away! :D

Ergos are close to other sportsbikes, so no surprises here.

Sidestand appears to be reused from a supertourer. Big, heavy and impossible to pick out with your foot.

Gearbox : very smooth and nice. Is much more willing to make clutch less downshifts than my Yamahas. Minus:hopeless to find the neutral when you need it. But I did find a false neutral at least twice.

Kai,

I hate to hear you had the off but I'm assuming that since you are making light of it that it wasn't serious (side from the added expense - ouch).

And I've been on track with Joe a couple of time at the school and he is one fast youngster (although very polite with us slow old people).

I had my S1000 at the track for the first time two weeks ago and I also found the Race mode to be a bit touchie (not to mention I kept kicking in the TC by spinning up the rear on exit - my R-6 didnt do that!). I took that to mean I need to work on my throttle control. The side stand is hopeless and neutral can be a bit...elusive. But she sure is fun.

I'm looking forward to hearning more about your experience.

Carey