Most Random Bike Seen On Track?

This was at my first track day at Rockingham in 2003 (I think). I still don't really know why/how but around lunchtime three guys joined our novice sessions, on police and paramedic Pan Europeans (2 of 1 and 1 of the other, can't remember which way round). In fairness they weren't slow but once the pannier boxes are scraping the tarmac there isn't anywhere else to go! Check this out, I'm on the blue SV:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.12970243828.34821.587378828&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=13352248828&set=a.12970243828.34821.587378828&type=3&theater

Hopefully the link works! If not the album is here

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.12970243828.34821.587378828&type=3&l=ba21555b31

PS I'm sure we were talking about this on another thread but I can't find it

This past round at SoW there was a guy on a Harley VRod with forward controls and perhaps a raked out front end and some custom exhaust that didn't improve ground clearance a bit. He wasn't setting any lap records but he was looking pretty smooth through the corners. Props to whoever he was for taking that thing to the school.

I have a v-rod as well and I think its actually more dangerous now after taking the school than before. . . Thinking seriously of selling it as I've had a few "oh ######" moments when riding the harley thinking it has enough clearance for a moderate turn when in fact it doesn't. The V&H exhaust scrapes well before the pegs do and its quite scary as you think it'll lever the rear wheel off and remove traction on a corner. But if you take the class in it and not ride the S1000 or a sportbike - then that should be better. I'm just commenting that its difficult to ride a V-rod /and/ say a Ducati/BMW/etc.

Haha, random! I don't think they'd be allowed on track with panniers in Australia. They always make people remove luggage and racks etc.

Most random I've seen... the most recent one that stands out in my mind is an XR400 dirt bike converted to motard. It just looked funky with the rubber boots on the forks. laugh.gif

Never seen any tourers or cruisers on track days... have seen some old cafe racer style bikes, not my cup of tea though, too slow and no right to be that loud when they're going that slow! Actually the old bikes are a bit of a worry, the ones that look like any part could fall off or break are the ones that usually do...

For me it was Rabbit on his Interstate Valkyre at VIR last month! He road it halfway across country, did the school, and road it back. You have to respect that. And he was looking smooth in the corners by the end of the day. He said the rain we got really helped him feel more in control his bike. And that's what it's all about (just watch that low hanging hardware).

Despite lack of cornering clearance, a V-Rod beat a Ninja 600 and a Ducati 999 over a mountain pass in the Alps with highly skilled riders on all bikes. The ability to see easily around corners/ahead due to the seating position, strong and easy to use brakes and instant grunt out of the uphill hairpins overcame the lack of cornering speed. You can always find a venue that suits ;)

We knew a guy that did tire testing on a Gold Wing I think it was, with 180 lbs of weight on the back...he'd regulary wait for guys on GSXR's...but that wasn't at the track, just local SoCal roads.

• 3 weeks later...

Back in the middle of May I had the time to check out the new track in Shelton WA. The Ridge Motorsports Park. They are still in the construction phase with heavy equipment sitting around while the track is "hot". I was missing just a couple of items to be able and go play :rolleyes:, just a suit and bike! Nothing major but needed stuff.

Track linky: http://www.ridgemotorsportspark.com/

I know css will be running a school there in a few days. Have fun, be careful, and I would like to hear the thoughts of the track afterwards. In a different thread.

These guys may attend.

http://scrmnduc.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Track-days/24131729_m7ZC5B/

GOLDWING tire tester : 180 lbs on back ? His wife/GF isn't that BIG! LOL

• 1 month later...

We shared the track with a fellow on this Harley last week at VIR. I have to give him gredit, he may have been dragging hard parts but he was getting on it as hard as he could!

post-16961-0-79979300-1345634689_thumb.jpg