Motogp 2013 Silly Season

So, the 'Unofficial MotoGP 2012 Silly Season' has started!

What is known:

Stoner is leaving the sport

Pedrosa stays with Honda Repsol for 2 more years

Marc Marquez sign on with Honda Repsol (stepping up from Moto2, with a 2 years contract)

Lorenzo stays with Yamaha Factory (I think?

Spies is leaving Yamaha Factory

Hayden stays with Ducati Factory for 1 more year

Rossi is unhappy with the Ducati, yet Audi wants him to stay - my prediction is that he'll leave Ducaudi, unless they are able to pull "a rabbit from their arse" and make the bike work well enough for Rossi to be a consistent podium/championship contender. (If Rossi leaves Ducaudi, will Jeremy Burgess follow him, stay with Ducaudi, or hang up his gloves?). Where will he go? Back to Yamaha Factory, or to a satellite team like Monster Tech 3?

C'mon, throw in your guesses and predictions!

Kai

In retrospect, Rossi should have gone to Suzuki. It was a good bike, as we can see from Bautista's results last year compared to this season. And this much was clear even when Rossi signed with Ducati, a bike everybody with half a brain knew was rubbish and that only one man could ride; Stoner. Chances are Rossi was cocky enough to think he was a better rider than Stoner. That idea ended on the first test in Valencia. The shock on Rossi must have been massive!

Well, nuff about history.

Unless Suzuki have worked in the shadows to bring back a team already for 2013 with Schwantz running it, I cannot see Rossi going anywhere else than Ducati. If he goes to Yamaha, Jorge will spank him. No doubt Rossi will take more wins, but unless Lorenzo crash out a lot or get injured, Rossi will not beat him over a season. I cannot see Rossi do that unless he is really sick of being a backmarker and have lost all faith in the Italians.

The Ducati is getting close, and with Audi money and a change of team principals, it can be made the best bike. Rossi will need the best bike to take another title. I hope he does. If for nothing else than match Ago.

Burgess will retire with Rossi, I'm sure. He's been pretty tired of the cirkus for several years and his main motivation is his friendship with Rossi. If Rossi goes, Burgess will follow or retire, is my prediction.

Spies will go to BMW and WSBK.

Jorge has signed for 2 more years with Yamaha.

Dovi I think will join Jorge, unless they take a chance with Iannone?

Cal will want to stick with Tech3 unless he gets a factory ride, but can they have 2 Brits in a French team since Smith will be there next year?

The rest I haven't given much thought. Edwards should join Spies and defect to WSBK too. Hope Melandri takes the title this year, making it 3 different former MotoGP riders to take the title in 3 successive seasons. Let Edwards have it next year and then Spies followed by Rossi, to keep it in the family :lol: WSBK is so much more interesting to watch than MotoGP, but nothing beats Moto2 and Moto3.

Sorry for derailing at then end.

I'll play Kai (but please see the qualifier in my signature).

I believe Vale is too deep in his career to wait and hope the changes at Ducati will make the difference. At this stage he has earned his money, and made his mark. Now he wants to put an exclamation point on it (and have some more fun before riding off into the Italian sunset). For that same reason I don't think that Suzuki is a good fit (unless they are ready to return in 2013 instead of 2014). My prediction is Yamaha (yes I'm crazy). He left on good terms (reasonably – compared to how he left Honda) and even though he knows Lorenzo is their man of the future, he also knows he could be competitive on the Yamaha. Add two seasons of mid-pack results and the fact that he is in the twilight of his career and maybe he can make paddock-nice with JL…and then get back at him by beating him.

Or maybe that's just my wishful thinking.

As for Ben, I don't see him riding off to SBK just yet. I think he can win at the highest level and I think he wants to prove that. I see him taking the Suzuki seat. He has been cagey about next season and maybe that's him being prepared to take a year with them getting ready for 2014.

Cal has had some bad luck, if that worm will turn I think he can be competitive in MotoGP. Tech 3 should stay with him for another season, if they can stand a couple of Brits in French livery. If not he'll end up in SBK and I'll gladly pull for him there.

Dovi…hmmm. If Rossi fails to take my sage advice then the other Yami goes to him. Otherwise he could end up at Ducati. Gesini could be looking for a ride but somehow I don't see him riding for a Honda satellite team.

No matter what happens MotoGP is still trying to find it's way in this new world order. I know a lot of folks (Casey) don't like the CRTs saying this should be a prototype class of racing, and while in a perfect world I agree, the truth is Eirik hit it on the head:

...WSBK is so much more interesting to watch than MotoGP, but nothing beats Moto2 and Moto3.

And unless Dorna makes some changes it will be a prototype class that no one is watching. The CRT's are the beginning of the end of the factory influence dominance. Will that be a good thing or a bad thing? I'm not sure. But I am glad they are trying.

Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong....;)

I'll play Kai (but please see the qualifier in my signature).

I believe Vale is too deep in his career to wait and hope the changes at Ducati will make the difference. At this stage he has earned his money, and made his mark. Now he wants to put an exclamation point on it (and have some more fun before riding off into the Italian sunset). For that same reason I don't think that Suzuki is a good fit (unless they are ready to return in 2013 instead of 2014). My prediction is Yamaha (yes I'm crazy). He left on good terms (reasonably – compared to how he left Honda) and even though he knows Lorenzo is their man of the future, he also knows he could be competitive on the Yamaha. Add two seasons of mid-pack results and the fact that he is in the twilight of his career and maybe he can make paddock-nice with JL…and then get back at him by beating him.

Or maybe that's just my wishful thinking.

Agree on your observations on Rossi.

Somehow, Ben hasn't been able to 'cut it' in MotoGP, like several other talented US riders (Hopkins and Edwards comes to mind). For one reason or another, Cal seems to do that breakthrough that Ben is missing.

Dovi…hmmm. If Rossi fails to take my sage advice then the other Yami goes to him. Otherwise he could end up at Ducati. Gesini could be looking for a ride but somehow I don't see him riding for a Honda satellite team.

Looks like that Dovi and several others agrees with your idea of Rossi possibly returning to Yamaha. This weekend's DNF for Rossi is not likely to make him positive to staying with Ducaudi. And Ducaudi will be testing new talent (as they should) this week at Mugello.

No matter what happens MotoGP is still trying to find it's way in this new world order. I know a lot of folks (Casey) don't like the CRTs saying this should be a prototype class of racing, and while in a perfect world I agree, the truth is Eirik hit it on the head:

...WSBK is so much more interesting to watch than MotoGP, but nothing beats Moto2 and Moto3.

And unless Dorna makes some changes it will be a prototype class that no one is watching. The CRT's are the beginning of the end of the factory influence dominance. Will that be a good thing or a bad thing? I'm not sure. But I am glad they are trying.

I'm not following you. The CRT's are nowhere near the prototypes, so why are they the beginning of the end of the factory dominance?

PS: please add more sugar to your diet :P

Interesting to speculate given what little has been announced vs. what still is under wraps.

Lorenzo (Yamaha), Pedrosa (Honda), Marquez (Honda), Hayden (Ducati), Smith (Tech 3) all have contracts; I think Bradl (LCR) has another year also.

My thoughts on some others:

- Rossi returns to the factory Yamaha. He's too polite to outright call the Ducati a POS, but he's been more openly critical of the bike lately, he certainly appears unhappy, and there's little to indicate the bike truly can challenge Yamaha/Honda.

- Dovisioso re-signs with Tech 3. He's performing too well to let him go. I also don't see much alternative for him unless he wants to gamble on the Ducati.

- Crutchlow moves to the factory Ducati. He's said he'd willingly take the Ducati challenge, which I think is courageous but not altogether wise.

- Spies returns to WSBK for 2013 and then returns to MOTOGP in 2014 with Suzuki. The latter seems like a pretty good bet in my opinion. The former perhaps is a lot less likely, but I want to see him get some consistent wins/podiums (or another world title) and I think he easily can do that in WSBK.

- Stoner says goodbye... for now. I won't be surprised if he comes back after a couple years.

- I agree with the notion Edwards should leave for WSBK, where I think he'd be a contender, but he has another year on his contract and I think he's been pretty clear he intends to stick with CRT for 2013 (unless the team folds).

My thoughts on Carey's CRT comment... I think MotoGP can be either all factory prototypes or all CRT-types. The two do not mix well, so it has to be one or the other. Full factory prototypes have proven, I believe, too expensive to field enough bikes to keep the sport interesting which is why CRT now exists, even though they are not competitive. If MotoGP is to survive then CRT is the more financially viable solution, thus the full factory prototypes may well become extinct.

Regardless of what Stoner thinks and says, I think that the MotoGP bikes have become too complex and that the peak of motorcycles should be more about mechanicals and riders than electronics. Throw away traction control, wheelie control, GPS and variable settings for various places of the track. Give them 30 litres of fuel to play with so they can tune the engines for predictable power delivery instead of fuel savings that make the engines unpredictable since they will alter their performance from one corner to another. Also, sacking the electronics staff will save millions over a season.

In other words, simplify the bikes, but do not lessen their quality. If they are simpler and more transparant for the rider to control, the racing will be better. The bikes can still use exotic materials, just leave the electronics (save basic fuel injection) off.

BTW, interesting interviews with Hayden and Rossi over at Soup.

I'll toss some predictions out there...

Rossi: Retirement I think he hangs it up. But, i don't think its his call. I don't think Jeremy Burgess is happy at Ducati either and didn't really want to go in the first place. He wanted to retire back when Rossi moved to Yamaha and i don't see Burgess wanting to make another move. It all comes down to whether Rossi is wiling to race with someone else and he has said many times he won't do it. I could be wrong because it seems like he REALLY wants keep racing(even with the CRTs).

Spies: WSBK I'm not sure where he would land in WSBK, or if there are any seats for him, but i think he'll be racing somewhere that is not Yamaha MotoGP.

Dovi: Spies seat at Yamaha

Crutchlow: Stays with Tech3 - he can't be dumb enough to go to Ducati!

MotoGP: CRTs really are the end, I think prototypes are dropped by 2014. Cutting all electronics is not an option, but I def think that to save the prototypes they would need to limit them electronically. This doesn't really solve the cost problem however. And, with how well the CRT system is working in Moto2 and 3 i can see it spreading to GP soon. I won't be too upset with it and the top riders will still be able to prove that they get the wins not the bikes.

Somehow, Ben hasn't been able to 'cut it' in MotoGP, like several other talented US riders (Hopkins and Edwards comes to mind). For one reason or another, Cal seems to do that breakthrough that Ben is missing.

Good point. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part. After what he did in AMA and SBK I thought that at Assen last year we were seeing the coming of age of a new Alien. With Casey going fishing and Vale looking to rekindle past successes we need someone who can beat Jorge and Dani.

Looks like that Dovi and several others agrees with your idea of Rossi possibly returning to Yamaha. This weekend's DNF for Rossi is not likely to make him positive to staying with Ducaudi. And Ducaudi will be testing new talent (as they should) this week at Mugello.

I do like the idea of Vale back in Yami blue...my apologies to Dovi. And I could see Crazy Joe on the Duc. That actually might be fun. :D

I'm not following you. The CRT's are nowhere near the prototypes, so why are they the beginning of the end of the factory dominance?

I should have been clearer on this; I meant political dominance. What adding the CRT's has done for Dorna (theoretically anyway) is take political power away from the factory teams (and satellites). Now that there is a non-factory dependant group of bikes on the grid MotoGP could (again theoretically) continue to race if the factory teams decide to go home (how the fans would take that is what makes it "theoretical"). In the past if they went so did MotoGP. That was their "nuclear option" so to speak. That gave the factory teams undue influence on MotoGP when it came to many things. With less dependence on the factories Dorna will have no one to blame but themselves.

Personally I love the idea of MotoGP as a prototype series. Unfortunately, I have found the actual racing in several other classes more entertaining.

PS: please add more sugar to your diet

More sugar and more caffeine on the way. Starbucks loves me. :P

I actually disagree on this point. Spies is only in his fourth year on the international circuit and compared to most of the top 10 who've been there going on 10+ years. In his first year internationally he won World Superbike and his first two years in MotoGP he finished 6th and then 5th. Crutchlow was 12th last year in his first MotoGP season and currently running 5th. Dovi has twice the experience on the international circuit and he went 5th, 6th, 5th, 3rd in his preceding four MotoGP seasons. In my opinion that shows relatively speaking Spies has had pretty solid performance. There is no argument this year he's surely had almost nothing but bad luck but I don't think that's the right measure of Spies being able to "cut it" in MotoGP.

Here's my thoughts on the silly season and MotoGP

Rossi: at this point he only cares about 2 things and money isn't one of them. He's had his eye on two records for some time and that's all he wants at this point , 123 wins and 9 titles to surpass Agostini for the #1 spot on the all time list, he got greedy and wanted to win the title for 3 different manufacturers, which I believe would also have been a GP first, if someone could guarantee him the 18 wins and two titles he needs for 0$ salary I'd bet good money he'd take it.

Yamaha: Really wants 1 thing, Rossi to retire wearing Yamaha color's, its seems more so then the other manufacturers Yamaha likes to keep their retired champions around, invite them back for a few parade laps and a photo op and Rossi would be a MAJOR addition to their stable of living legends

I think Rossi will give Audi 1 more year to pull it together and make some changes with the Ducati factory team, and hopefully to give him a shot at the 3 Championships with 3 Manufacturers crown, but will re-sign with Yamaha before he retire's to WSBK

Cal Crutchlow: He has stated he does not want to ride for Tech 3 next year, he wants a full factory ride and is willing to move to Ducati to get it, but he's stuck waiting on the doctor to pick which team he's going with and will take whichever spot Rossi turns down

Dovi: being a more seasoned rider then Crutchlow, I don't think Yamaha would bring him over to the Factory team for fear of issues with Lorenzo, but his performance has been too go to let go so my guess is that they keep him at Tech 3 to help groom Smith for the future

Spies: I think he'll end up in WSBK with Suzuki to help bring them to the front of the pack there, and to prepare for a Suzuki return to MotoGP behind the scenes, I think there just arn't enough seats left in MotoGP and while most of his misfortune this season has been bad luck and technical issues he need's a solid season somewhere to get his mojo back and a Satellite or CRT bike just won't cut it.

Stoner: Take's a season or two off to see how things settle out, he's really disgusted with the state of MotoGP and the CRT issues, his comments after Laguna Seca qualifying really show this, but I think he's going to miss it too much and he'll be back once the rule's shift to something he's happier with

All around racing: Clearly the most exciting series to watch is the one with the closest racing at the front. Last year IMO it was DSB, this year its WSBK, MotoGP really needs to make some drastic changes or its going to keep sinking, you can't base a entire racing series, especially the "pinnacle" of the sport around the same 2-3 guys racing for different steps on the same podium every week,

How would I fix it ? First the electronics, they are flat out bankrupting motorcycle racing at all levels and while they have done some good things for the sport they need to be scaled back, BSB did it this year and it's paid off, I expect most of the other serie's will follow suit, I dont think Stock ECU's or any of the stuff that will work in the other series's would work in MotoGP but I would add one rule to govern the use of electronics on "prototype" machines. "You cannot use any electronic systems that could not be reasonably applied to a production motorcycle" basically no GPS based stuff, no more tuning every aspect of the bike on a per corner basis. Mechanical development in MotoGP trickles down to production bike, so has some electronic aids but that stuff will never end up in a production bike. Also the CRT thing, relax their rules a bit more, give them more Gas and more Displacement to work with, let the small time race teams tweak the hell out of them and when they actually start winning against the might of the full factory effort start to scale back their rules to keep them in line

I actually disagree on this point. Spies is only in his fourth year on the international circuit and compared to most of the top 10 who've been there going on 10+ years. In his first year internationally he won World Superbike and his first two years in MotoGP he finished 6th and then 5th. Crutchlow was 12th last year in his first MotoGP season and currently running 5th. Dovi has twice the experience on the international circuit and he went 5th, 6th, 5th, 3rd in his preceding four MotoGP seasons. In my opinion that shows relatively speaking Spies has had pretty solid performance. There is no argument this year he's surely had almost nothing but bad luck but I don't think that's the right measure of Spies being able to "cut it" in MotoGP.

Maybe you are right, Brad, that I'm being unfair to Spies. I just don't see him as having made the breakthrough in MotoGP (I would loved to see him make it, though). To be fair, I must say that to me, Dovi is also missing that breakthrough. Maybe it's a bit like Gibernau before his defining victory after Kato's death.

I went back and looked at the "Riders All Time, MotoGP" list. If you look at the current riders, only Vale, Casey, Jorge, Dani and Nicky have more than 1 win in MotoGP/GP500 (Nicky has just 3 wins). Dovi, Spies, and Elias have a single win each.

Cal hasn't been on the podium yet.

Maybe you are right, Brad, that I'm being unfair to Spies. I just don't see him as having made the breakthrough in MotoGP (I would loved to see him make it, though). To be fair, I must say that to me, Dovi is also missing that breakthrough. Maybe it's a bit like Gibernau before his defining victory after Kato's death.

I went back and looked at the "Riders All Time, MotoGP" list. If you look at the current riders, only Vale, Casey, Jorge, Dani and Nicky have more than 1 win in MotoGP/GP500 (Nicky has just 3 wins). Dovi, Spies, and Elias have a single win each.

Cal hasn't been on the podium yet.

With the way you describe the situation then I can see your point and I actually will take a step back and agree. Stoner, Lorenzo and Pedrosa have near dominance of the podium these days. Dovi, Spies, Crutchlow, Hayden and Rossi all are extraordinary riders, and yet these days they seem all but incapable of breaking the monopoly by those other three. The measure of "breakthrough" then probably should be who can, with some consistency, get on the podium. With Stoner departing, perhaps we finally will see one of those riders step up....

I'm curious would you say this statistic is more directly related to the rider ability, or a symptom of a racing series where at best there are 4 bikes in the field with a realistic chance at standing on the top of the podium ?

I'm curious would you say this statistic is more directly related to the rider ability, or a symptom of a racing series where at best there are 4 bikes in the field with a realistic chance at standing on the top of the podium ?

That's a tough question to answer, partially because part of a rider's skill set is how well he helps his team develop the bike. That said, considering what Rossi has done (or more accurately hasn't done) at Ducati, I would be willing to bet if we were watching riders on similar machines (a la Moto2 maybe?) we would be seeing much closer racing. That's not to say which manufacturer is better than another but when millimeters of adjustment make the difference between a podium and an also-ran it's hard to compare the rider's innate abilities. It would seem that gone are the days when a rider like Hailwood or Ago could throw a leg over almost any bike and dominate.

I follow the general line of thought here - "4 bikes" I think is understating things - but I am more of the mind it still is more the rider and less the machine. Spies did well with Tech 3 but really hasn't improved with factory Yamaha. Dovi did well with Repsol (factory) Honda but really hasn't declined with Tech 3. If machinery genuinely were the key, and assuming factory > satellite, then it would suggest either should have shown a more dramatic gain/loss in performance.

I think Carey's suggestion a Moto2-like format (with bigger motors of course) would produce closer racing (and probably more bikes in the field) is close to the mark. I think the idea would appeal to fans who would prefer closer racing and/or more bikes but the idea would not appeal to fans who only want to see full prototype racing.

I think Carey's suggestion a Moto2-like format (with bigger motors of course) would produce closer racing (and probably more bikes in the field) is close to the mark. I think the idea would appeal to fans who would prefer closer racing and/or more bikes but the idea would not appeal to fans who only want to see full prototype racing.

I definitely agree Brad. I think there in lies the rub...how do they maintain the concept of prototype racing but keep it competitive? When I look at F1 it seems they suffer from the same problem, just not to quite the same degree. Most of the drivers in the top 4 teams are capable of winning given the right track and setup and even a few in the next "tier" down can grab a podium or occasional win. But that said there are still several races going on:

Tier one racing for the win

Tier two racing for the podium (or the occasional upset win)

Tier three racing for points

I'm not saying its right or wrong, I watch F1 and enjoy it, but it is what it is. Toro Rosso winning a race takes a wet track and a Sebastian Vettel. And his kind doesn't come along very often. Maybe that's just what prototype racing has to be. That with a rule book the size of the Encyclopedia Britannica :P

Great thread by the way guys.

Interesting thoughts for sure,

I've always been of the mindset that its equal parts rider and machine , tho in this age of electronic aids I'm leaning more towards more the machine and less the rider, not to say the rider isn't a large part of the equation but without the right machine no amount of skill or natural ability will put you on the top step of the podium. No one can argue that Agostini isn't one of or the G.O.A.T., but his run of dominance was helped a good bit by having a decidedly dominant motorcycle under him, Look at AMA Superbike this year and last, last year Blake's Suzuki had a noticeable mechanical advantage over Haye's Yamaha, and it's what allowed him snag so many last lap race to the line win's, despite Haye's ability he could not overcome that mechanical advantage his opponent had over him, this season however the tables have at worst evened out and at best turned completely, and Haye's has run away with the championship thus far and broken the spirit of his top contender in the process. IMO Stoner's dominating performance last season was help'd a good bit by having the dominating machine on the grid, but this year with the change to the tires Honda has lost the edge to the Yamaha and the results thus far show it.

I would say MotoGP already has a 3 tier race going on just like F1, sure the Tech3 bikes have done very well this year, but IMO that's mostly due to the format change to 1000cc machines, next season when the Factory M1 has another year of development and new spec'd up parts and electronics the Tech3 team will most likely still be running on last years bike and I doubt they will be as close to the front. Honda has already pushed out a new engine and chassis for the factory team, but how long before the San Carlo team gets to use it ? The downside to prototype racing is to stay at the top of the podium you have to constantly improve your hardware or find yourself outgunned, Its what has happened to Ducati, sure 4 or 5 years ago they had a competitive bike with the best rider on it, but they have been far to slow to improve it and Yamaha and Honda have left them in the dust, and I'm pretty sure if Stoner is having trouble beating Lorenzo on the Honda theres no WAY he could do it on the Ducati.

Side note, interesting interview with Stoner in the new RRW, they asked him what his secret to riding the Ducati was and while he doesn't give away his trade secrets he does talk about the mentality difference. His approach to riding the Ducati in a way mirrors some of what they teach at CSS in that you cannot adapt the Ducati to your riding style, you must adapt your riding style to the Ducati

So it's been announced, Rossi is taking Spies spot with the factory Yamaha team. It will be interesting to see how Rossi and Lorenzo get along the 2d time around. I'm still thinking Crutchlow takes Rossi's vacated spot at Ducati.

So it's been announced, Rossi is taking Spies spot with the factory Yamaha team. It will be interesting to see how Rossi and Lorenzo get along the 2d time around. I'm still thinking Crutchlow takes Rossi's vacated spot at Ducati.

Brad, If you're referring to the Motorcycle USA article, then it's not announced yet - and then I don't consider it truly settled.

Can you link to an official announcement? - google doesn't pick anything official up.:(

Brad, If you're referring to the Motorcycle USA article, then it's not announced yet - and then I don't consider it truly settled.

Can you link to an official announcement? - google doesn't pick anything official up.:(

Hmmm, that is where I saw the news, and I didn't look elsewhere. I will search again later today and see if something else confirms...

MotoMatters is announcing that this time they are sure:

"It is a bit of a risk, announcing that Valentino Rossi will be switching to Yamaha just a couple of days after getting caught out by a hacked Twitter and email account. This time, though, confirmation is coming from multiple sources, including our own. Rossi will be leaving Ducati for Yamaha at the end of this season, with an official press release expected from Yamaha on the morning of August 15th, the Italian national holiday of Ferragosto, and the day before the paddock assembles at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the Red Bull Indianapolis GP."

Full story.

You gotta love the silly season. :D

yeah, you do have to love it. Keeps us interested though doesn't it?

I think it's for the best of everyone and the sport though that he gets back onto a more competitive bike. Whilst I'm a great lover of the red missiles, I think their bike isn't competitive enough right now to give him a) the chance, B) keep his motivation sharp and high enough to push himself hard enough. I also think it'll be a fascinating battle watching him with Jorge, whom I think will now get the better of Rossi (unfortunately). I'm not a lover of Stoner and his antics, but I am desperately sorry he's leaving, as he's the class of the field isn't he with respect to riding.

I'm hoping it'll make the racing more interesting in MotoGP as it's been a little lack lustre again this season, Moto2 is far more exciting to watch.

Bullet

Rossi back on a Yamaha is the only chance we've got of having some exciting races next year, though I do have to agree that Lorenzo is going to come out on top overall. Provided there are one or two moments that hark back to Laguna 2008 or Catalunya 2009 then I'll be a happy bunny.

1344427859[/url]' post='28787']

yeah, you do have to love it. Keeps us interested though doesn't it?

I think it's for the best of everyone and the sport though that he gets back onto a more competitive bike. Whilst I'm a great lover of the red missiles, I think their bike isn't competitive enough right now to give him a) the chance, B) keep his motivation sharp and high enough to push himself hard enough. I also think it'll be a fascinating battle watching him with Jorge, whom I think will now get the better of Rossi (unfortunately). I'm not a lover of Stoner and his antics, but I am desperately sorry he's leaving, as he's the class of the field isn't he with respect to riding.

I'm hoping it'll make the racing more interesting in MotoGP as it's been a little lack lustre again this season, Moto2 is far more exciting to watch.

Bullet

I'm with you here Bullet, Rossi competitive is good for MotoGP, I hope the boys from Bolonga get competitive but I don't think Vale can wait, and Stoner may be hard to like but he is nothing if not a pure racer and yes I will miss him for that. But we could sure use som Moto2-esque action in the premier class!

1344442628[/url]' post='28792']

Rossi back on a Yamaha is the only chance we've got of having some exciting races next year, though I do have to agree that Lorenzo is going to come out on top overall. Provided there are one or two moments that hark back to Laguna 2008 or Catalunya 2009 then I'll be a happy bunny.

And a few more moments like those are definitely worth hoping for Steve!

It's official!

Rossi will go back to Yamaha on a 2 year contract.

cmon guys, this was released yesterday, and you haven't put it up here yet? :D:D:D

Damn, I'm already looking forward to see Rossi back in contention again.:)