Van As Transportation

Hey guys, so I have been juggling the idea of getting a van as transport to and from the track and canyons. I have seen others loading their bikes in vans, and I want to know what I'm getting in before I make a purchase. So here are a few questions:

1. What van do you recommend?

2. How are you getting the bike in and out? (riding or pushing)

3. What problems if any have you had with transporting in a van?

Thanks.

Hey guys, so I have been juggling the idea of getting a van as transport to and from the track and canyons. I have seen others loading their bikes in vans, and I want to know what I'm getting in before I make a purchase. So here are a few questions:

1. What van do you recommend?

2. How are you getting the bike in and out? (riding or pushing)

3. What problems if any have you had with transporting in a van?

Thanks.

1. Diesel van- this way you can still tow a small trailer if you wanted to.

2. Ramp and pushing, unless it's a tall van you wont be able to clear it if your on the bike.

3. If you install a wheel clamp and some side bracing so you can tie the bike down really solid then it should be good.

This is not my personal experience but from people I know who have done it.

Vans are great for hauling bikes to the track, just got back from 4 days at Willow Springs in mine cool.gif

I think they have a number of advantages over a truck , the best being improved security and protection from the weather for all your gear, and you can camp in it if you so desire.

You don't need a monster diesel engine unless you're going to be hauling a monstrous toy hauler. Pretty much any cargo van will have enough power to haul a few extra bikes behind it on a small trailer, they are afterall designed to haul cargo.

For loading I just use a ramp and walk it up with the bike assisting me, drop a milk crate next to the ramp to step up into the van as you walk it up the ramp and you're golden

Chocks are great, I prefer the Pit-Bull Trailer Restraint, Its rock solid and IMHO worth the $$

I can't say I've had any real problems hauling my bike in a van, but if you can afford it get something tall enough to stand up in the added luxury and space is pretty nice to have

Tyler