First Track School Weekend Ever...

Hi guys, I'm finally getting the chance to attend a track school this year in November. It's going to be held on the 3rd and 4th of the month. Could you guys please give me any pointers on what I might expect over there? The school is run by Apex Racing. They have their own racing team and also hold riding classes every other month. From what I've been told, most trainers are ex racers, so they should know what they are doing. I'm going to be transporting my bike there for the event. It's a 2011 Ninja 250r. The suspension and tires are stock, will that be a problem? Thanks guys :)

coimbatoreTrack_12.jpg

Hi Hans,

It's virtually impossible to tell you what to expect, since it depends so much on the organizer and secondarily on the attendants.

You should be fine with a standard shock. As for tyres, just make sure they have a lot of fresh rubber.

Enjoy yourself :)

Kai

Hans,

Like Kai said, since we aren't familiar with the specific school you are attending, we can't speak to the particulars of the day. That said, you can expect to be nervous, the track can be an intimidating thing to the uninitiated. Hopefully your fears will be unfounded. The track should be a controlled environment where you can work on learning your bike and expanding your capabilities without the hazards of the street. A school environment should be even more supportive of a first time track rider.

The best advice I can give you is to ride within yourself. At CSS the philosophy is to ride at about 70% of capability. This frees up enough of your concentration (some of your $10 as Keith put it in TOTW II) to work on your drills and focus on improving fundamentals. If you are riding on the edge of your ability you are inviting SRs and you cannot work on development. Leave the lap records for another day. :D

Go with an open mind, listen and learn (sounds basic but you might be surprised how many riders don't do just that), ride your ride (avoid the "red mist" as Trevor calls it the fever to ride like you are the second coming of Valentino), and have fun.

Best,

Carey

Is that CSS? I thought they were in Chennai only...

If it is, I think you should be fine. Couple of my friends have done it at CSS and were happy about it? Have you thought asking in XBHP, local forum there? There should be few who might have done it.

Hi WrapSpeed, no this is not CSS. The CSS event for this year already happened in Jan and for next year it's in feb. I will be attending that as well, but since this is first, I figured doing two track school sessions can't hurt.

Hi Hans,

It's virtually impossible to tell you what to expect, since it depends so much on the organizer and secondarily on the attendants.

You should be fine with a standard shock. As for tyres, just make sure they have a lot of fresh rubber.

Enjoy yourself :)

Kai

Thanks Kai, my tires have enough fresh rubber, having only 4000 odd miles on them. My concern was that the stock IRC tires aren't supposed to be great. Can't do nothing about that now anyways, but will change them before CSS in feb.

Hans,

Like Kai said, since we aren't familiar with the specific school you are attending, we can't speak to the particulars of the day. That said, you can expect to be nervous, the track can be an intimidating thing to the uninitiated. Hopefully your fears will be unfounded. The track should be a controlled environment where you can work on learning your bike and expanding your capabilities without the hazards of the street. A school environment should be even more supportive of a first time track rider.

The best advice I can give you is to ride within yourself. At CSS the philosophy is to ride at about 70% of capability. This frees up enough of your concentration (some of your $10 as Keith put it in TOTW II) to work on your drills and focus on improving fundamentals. If you are riding on the edge of your ability you are inviting SRs and you cannot work on development. Leave the lap records for another day. :D

Go with an open mind, listen and learn (sounds basic but you might be surprised how many riders don't do just that), ride your ride (avoid the "red mist" as Trevor calls it – the fever to ride like you are the second coming of Valentino), and have fun.

Best,

Carey

Thanks for your reply Carey, I'll definitely keep what you said in mind. I have both the DVD and Book versions of TWOT II, but I haven't really gone through the book yet. The dvd I have watched multiple times and continue to watch bits of it every now and then. It definitely opened my eyes to countersteering and the various SRs I go through while riding. While I haven't eliminated them yet, at least knowing what I'm doing wrong helps me try and improve in that regard in the future. Thanks for the valuable feedback :D

Thanks Kai, my tires have enough fresh rubber, having only 4000 odd miles on them. My concern was that the stock IRC tires aren't supposed to be great. Can't do nothing about that now anyways, but will change them before CSS in feb.

I'm not entirely sure about the school over there , but here in the states CSS sells dunlop tires to students and VERY good prices

• 2 weeks later...

Soooo.... My dream of going to the track got rained on.... Quiet literally. Today, a day before leaving, I get a call from the organizers saying that the track even has been canceled due to excessive rainfall, thanks to a cyclone off the coast of Tamil Nadu/Andhra Pradesh. Pretty disappointing considering this has cost me almost 200$ and I have nothing to take away from it... frown.gif Looking forward to CSS in Jan now...