Muscle And Joint Supplements

Hello Dr Price,

I have a pretty rigorous workout routine(combo of weightlifting and a lot of running) and want to make sure that I provide my body with the proper nutrients for my muscles, joints, and heart.

Researching this stuff on the web, there is a lot of varying opinions about what supplements to take, what form to take them in, and how much to take.

So my first question is....What are the most important supplements to take for proper muscle, joint, and heart health?

Fish oil, the fresh stuff - the capsules can be toxic if you are unlucky - is good for joints and heart. If you eat fatty fish 3 (like salmon) times a week, you don't need the tablespoon of fish oil every day - but most don't eat that much.

Other than that, I do not believe one needs supplements provided one's diet is varied and complete; fresh fruits and veggies every day, low intake of salt and sugar, enough lean meat and fish, whole grain bread, pure olive oils for frying and so on. Just the normal, sensible stuff you probably learned about at school, but that so few seems to follow at these times of fast food and junk food.

Fish oil, the fresh stuff - the capsules can be toxic if you are unlucky - is good for joints and heart. If you eat fatty fish 3 (like salmon) times a week, you don't need the tablespoon of fish oil every day - but most don't eat that much.

Other than that, I do not believe one needs supplements provided one's diet is varied and complete; fresh fruits and veggies every day, low intake of salt and sugar, enough lean meat and fish, whole grain bread, pure olive oils for frying and so on. Just the normal, sensible stuff you probably learned about at school, but that so few seems to follow at these times of fast food and junk food.

Im on chia seeds for the omega3/6 intake.

And olive oil is not a good oil for frying (lard/tallow is, hi flash point) ...

its flash point is low = breaks down under medium heat , best to drizzle it on dishes/salads to maximize its health benefits.

Laura...I live in Montana...whats a TV? Don't know what you Californians do for a workout, but we wrestle buffalo up here! Haha

Seriously though...one thing I'm curious about is taking protein. I have taken some in the past(whey protein I think) to support my muscles. The suggested doseage on the package was tough to stomach and it left me feeling bloated all the time.

I'm curious if taking protein really helps, and if so what kinds are good and how much?

Any recommendations Doc?

And olive oil is not a good oil for frying (lard/tallow is, hi flash point) ...

its flash point is low = breaks down under medium heat , best to drizzle it on dishes/salads to maximize its health benefits.

I do not use olive oils myself, and I've heard about it not being good for frying. However, I have been led to believe that is the cheap olive oils, not the costly pure olive oils. I may be wrong, though. And as they typically cost at least $25 for a litre (quart) and sometimes ten times as much for the high end products, I use canola oil if I ever use oil, but mostly I use margarine for the few times I fry something.

Timmer, I am not Doc, but I have studied body building for over 30 years. Protein supplements can, with enough training, help you gain a bit of muscle mass. However, too much protein will be stored like fat if it is excess calories - just like too much calories in the form of fat or carbs. Also, the body cannot absorb more than around 30 grams of protein every second hour, which is why top rank body builders eat every second hour - even during the night.

However, the majority of endurance athletes doesn't do protein supplements. In fact, the Norwegian cross country skiing team hardly takes any supplements of any kind. Instead, they rely on a healthy diet. And these people will train for up to 40 hours per week, demaning 8-10,000 calories per day. But our bodies are designed to thrive on what nature can present us wiith, so a balanced diet will suffice in order to stay healthy and perform at a peak level. You may not become as big, but your actual performance is what matter to most.

So, should you take protein supplements? Only if you do not get sufficient intake during your normal meals. It can be sensible for vegetarians, for example, to take small amounts of protein in addition to their normal diet. But if you use diary products and eat fish and meat, I doubt you will gain anything from additional protein other than the odd kidney stone.

YOMW.

Glucosamine is good for your knees especially, unless you are getting older in what is considered older in todays world the more important things are the preventive measures such as quality running shoes, how light you are on your feet when running, what surfaces you are running on and ect.

Those have a much bigger impact on your body then not taking any supplements at all, you could be popping supplements like candy but if you are wearing 40.00 running shoes from wal mart and heavy on your feet while running on pavement you will tear up your knees pretty quickly.

I used to run a lot while being in the military but got tired of the day to day grind of it but I can't seem to cut weight with just bicycle riding and basketball as my cardio. Well I cut weight but it's not the results I want.....I hate running but if it gets me to my target weight faster then I will do it.

Timmer,

Protein ideally in the form of free form amino acids, soy or whey protein as this is used to rebuild tissue after stress.

Vitamin E is important to allow better blood oxygenation.

B-Complex for cellular metabolism and it helps generate energy and nerve conductivity.

Multiple minerals for joints and muscles.

Hydration

Glucosamine Sulfate and Chondroitin to assist in cartilage repair.

Also, to strengthen the connective tissue taking one to two packets of Nox Gelatin (found in the grocery store). It is unflavored gelatin for cooking. The benefits will be seen in stronger finger nails, skin and hair.

Best,

Dr. Price

• 2 weeks later...

Protein:

In order to get the maximum benefit from protein it needs to be consumed in small quantities and frequently throughout the day. This allows for complete digestion and less of a need to supplement with protein drinks and/or capsules.

Because each persons protein requirements are different based on body weight and activity level I will give you a rough guideline to show you how much you will need each day...

For Endurance Exercise: Take your body weight in pounds and multiply it by a range of .54 to .63 (if your doing lighter work it would be .54 up to .63 for heavier workout)

If you're Weight Training or trying to Build Muscle: The range would be .77 to .81

In Kilograms for Endurance: You would multiply 1.2 to 1.4

In Kilograms for Weight Training or Building Muscles: You would multiply 1.7 to 1.8

For the Non-Athlete: The minimum daily requirement for protein is .37 for pounds and .8 for kilograms

So basically 150 pound man should eat 55 grams of protein per day.

(A wide range of protein is good. It can be chicken, fish, red meat, beans, lentils, eggs, etc.)

• 1 month later...