Dunlop Model To Use?

Hi,

I have a new bike, it is one of those 450 Super Single conversions. It has Pirelli slicks on it now, 120/70/17 front and 160/55/17 rear. I'd like to put Dunlops on it but I'm not sure which model to use and which are available for a 160 rear.

I LOVE the way the Q2s handle, but I will be racing and need to run tire warmers, and I'm not sure the Q2s do well with warmers, especially if the warmers aren't temperature adjustable - mine get really hot.

I prefer a more rounded profile, intead of a V shape, and I don't particularly like really stiff carcass tires. (See why I like the Q2 so much?) The bike is relatively low horsepower - 40 or so, I think.

Which Dunlop would be the best to suit my preferences? I am in the US, will be racing it with WERA, and my classes do allow slicks. First race will be this weekend at Vegas and the weather is looking cool, 40-55 F.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Hey Hotfoot...you raced this weekend, what did you end up using? Also, post up those results (I know she was on the box a few times :)).

Best,

Cobie

Hey Hotfoot...you raced this weekend, what did you end up using? Also, post up those results (I know she was on the box a few times :)).

Best,

Cobie

Well after asking around it appeared that the Dunlop would be too wide to fit on Frankenbike without interfering with the chain - they are a whopping 168mm wide when I need a 160! So I ended up using another brand - their 160 size tire is only 158mm wide and clears nicely. They're the same tires I run on the Moriwaki (except a bigger size) so they were a predictable choice for me, plus I had some contingency money to spend. :)

The race results were good, especially for the first time out on the new bike. I ran four races, two on the new bike, got a first and a fifth with that one, and two on the Moriwaki, getting a first and a third with that. That puts me nicely in the points lead for the DSB championship, which is great. There is a lot more sorting out to do with the 450 but it ran well and it is SUPER fun to ride. It was COLD, temps ranging from 30s to 50s, and windy, and there were a ton of crashes - I don't think riders were realizing how much the tires were cooling off.

The morning of the races, Steve Brubaker from Dunlop came over to find me in my pit area to talk about the tires - if I understood him correctly (I was a little distracted getting ready for the race), the slicks will be too wide but the 211GPA (a DOT tire) may fit better. It's definitely my preference to run slicks, since they are allowed in my classes, but I'll see about giving the DOTs a try. I wish I could run the Q2s for practice days or just-for-fun track days but they don't come in a 160 - only a 165 - so they will be too wide, too.

In any case, it was nice to meet our resident tire expert in person, I appreciated that he sought me out. :)

• 1 month later...

Hotfoot,

Good to chat with you at the track the other day.

I would use the D211GPA 160/60x17. Its an N-Tec construction, so its a better construction than the slick in the 165 sizing. Its also the same width as the Q2 160/60, in fact they come out of the same mould. its made for the 4.5 rim, and the 165 slick is made for 5.0-5.5 riim.

The compound is the same as the soft 190/60 D211GPA and the soft USA N-Tec slick, so there is nothing different there.

You can match it with the D211GPA 120/70 front or the USA slick 125/80, both of which are identical in actual width and diameter and compounds.

I hope this helps.

Steve