Hayabusa On The Track

I think it speaks volumes for this forum that the members doesn't just shrug and say "whatever" but actually continue to try and enlighten you, Shakeabusa.

In 1984, John Ulrich (who had a bit of success as a racer) tested Kenny Roberts' OW69, a 700 two-stroke made for one purpose; to win the Daytona 200 in 1983. Unless you do not know, Roberts Sr. was the Jorge Lorenzo of his era.

The machine was based on the GP500 winner OW60. It was a state of the art machine. And fast. Roberts won the Daytona race in 1983, but after the race Roberts said the bike had too much power and needed to be tuned for a wider powerband and less top end.

For 1984, Yamaha had done just what Roberts had required, yet after a few laps, Roberts came in and asked for even less power. They did this by backing off the timing and richening the fuel mixture. It was needed to reduce the tendency to spin the rear tyre wildly coming off the corners. In the end, power had been reduced by about 40 hp, from 170+ to less than 140. And Roberts won again.

Before Ulrich were to ride the bike, Eddie Lawson - who raced the OW69 alongside Roberts - gave the journalist some pointers.

LAWSON: It is FAST. There is no way to explain to most people how fast it is because they have no reference. They just have no idea. The power is so abrupt you have to dicipline yourself. Throttle control is critical.

These bikes were made only for Daytona and are completely different from the 500 I normally race. The 500 is much easier to ride. Getting on the 700 after the 500, I can't relate to it at all. The rear tyre would smoke coming off the corners. It will spin from turn 5 until I am straight up on the top lane. I just dirt track it all the way.

For John Ulrich, the bike was jetted richer still. So rich that power comes in at 8500 rpm instead of 7500. The bike is only 305 lb with gas! The tuner told him: Trying to even approach the limits with this bike will be crazy. Don't be a hero, don't go for fast laps, just try to survive.

ULRICH: I was just past the apex and still leaned over when I started rolling on the throttle ever so gingerly, when WHAM - the bike literally exploded forward and the front wheel shot skyward. I was totally amazed I was still upright and moving when the engine peaked and the wheel came down. The smallest movement on the throttle can make the difference between being in control and fighting for your life.

In terms of the time perceived to cut a lap, the OW69 makes Willows 2.5 mile course seem barely longer than a backyard go-kart track. I have gone much faster on other bikes, bikes easier to control, but no other bike feels this fast.

Changing directions with the power on is a job for the likes of Lawson and Roberts. For me, the idea of dodging through traffic while accelerating on this bike is beyond comprehension. When I pull in, my forearms are pumped, my wrists are tired and I'm drenched in sweat. With time, I could learn to ride this bike decently. But if I rolled onto the grid tomorrow, I'd be in way over my head.

The magic of men like Roberts is that they can jump on a monster like the OW69 and not only race it, but win on it. The most amazing lesson I learned from riding this machine hence was not about the bike, but of the men who raced it. And, in the case of Roberts, won on it. Twice.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doohan, who dominated 500GP in the 90s like Rossi did MotoGP in the 00s, said of Criville that all he ask is for more power. He doesn't understand that it not only makes him slower, but also increase the risk of crashing. The extra power, which came about as Doohan had to retire leaving Criville as top rider, almost cost him the '99 title due to progressively lesser and lesser results and lots of crashes as the season wore on.

So, there you have two quite powerful stories showing that power isn't everything, not even for the best riders in the world.

T, The video described how they got more hp out of the bike using the tunnel, Even a precious few were highly coveted.

I'm with Anthem on this, that is not what they said at all , I even rewatched the video to double check. They said that at 180 mph tucking your elbow in a few inches was worth 3 MPH , which would would equal about 15-20 HP increase, no where in the entire video did they mention anything about increasing actual HP output of the motor, I don't for a minute believe that they did not increase the engine HP some but it's not one of the major contributing factors to improving the bike's lap times. This does however point out a additional disadvantage the Hayabusa has that no one has mentioned, it's massive cross section and poor aerodynamics.

also please do understand that is a pro rider riding that bike, and trust me when I tell you that you cannot effectively use all the power you bike has. I assure you this is not a reflection on you as a rider or your ability to ride or handle your bike. And its really not something you're going to grasp until you have been to a track day. I can tell you from personal experience my first day at CSS I was probably doing around 2 min laps, my personal best lap there from my last weekend was a 1:32 even, and I still can't effectively use ALL of the 115 odd HP my R6 has. almost 30 seconds of improvement and if I had a few extra grand to spend on my R6 to improve my times HP gains would be one of the last things I would spend it on.

T, I looked for the GP Busa spot outside the forum but couldn't find it on youtube or anywhere else. Need help please.

You're going to need to elaborate on this question cause I'm unsure what your asking for

I hope you and T also know that using all caps is the equivalent of yelling in internet language. I don't mind hearing what you have to say; I'd just like to feel respected when I read them; Please treat me like an equal and with respect.

I'm not sure what you're referring to with this but after reviewing the entire thread no one is posting in all caps, at most there are one or two words that have been capitalized or bolded for EMPHASIS, no one is yelling at you, though many are getting frustrated with your determination

Yes, I'm determined because I'm right and I know it. I'm prone to error just like every human being. No one is perfect.

What I was asking is how do I get to the spot about the GP level Hayabusa without going through the CSS forum. I'd like to share it with some friends on the Hayabusa forums and elsewhere.

Yes, I'm determined because I'm right and I know it.

Wow, that says it all. . . CSS Head of instruction is obviously wrong. CSS instructors don't know what they are talking about. There must not be any point to go to school either. . . . Not sure the Socratic method of teaching would even work. . .

I'm going to say this - EVERYBODY ELSE but one is "right" and I know it.

This getting kind of silly but I'll keep checking back and see if anyone really wants to learn a few things about the Hayabusa. In the meantime I'm having a splendid time going over all of Keith's articles and after that working my way down the chain of command. I'd still really appreciate it if someone would help me get to the video about the GP Busa without going through this forum. Not because I don't like it here but for convenience.

This getting kind of silly but I'll keep checking back and see if anyone really wants to learn a few things about the Hayabusa. In the meantime I'm having a splendid time going over all of Keith's articles and after that working my way down the chain of command.

Shaka;

I think this topic has "Jumped the Shark". After 6 pages of point - counter point we're back where you started this so it's time to close it out.

Kevin Kane

One of the Forum Moderator