Hi From The Uk

Hi my name's James and I'm from Kent in south east England. I've only been riding for two years but did my first 20 minute track day taster the other month and absolutely loved it!

Since being out on track I have sold my bike (gsxr 1000 k6) and bought a gsxr 750 k4 as I know the bike is far too good for me and is still worth some money so before I crash it would rather get rid. I appreciate i will never be able to get 20% of the ability of the 750 either but it means i will not be so heart broken if the worst was to happen and I can go back to riding all the time instead of having a weekend toy!

I plan to do CSS at Silverstone next year, oweing to a lack of spare cash at the moment i will be unable to fulfill that dream this year and also believe I would be better off getting more confidence before i go. I have already booked my 1st novice only trackday for the end of July at Snetterton.

I know this is quite cheeky as it is only my 1st post and I haven't attended the school yet but... had a couple of photos taken while at Brands Hatch and I was wondering if people could give me some basic body position tips i could try to work on while i'm at Snetterton. Many thanks in advance, great forum!

Regards

James

IMG_2559_Bikes1900-1920BlueWristbands.jpg

IMG_2604_Bikes1900-1920BlueWristbands.jpg

Your body position looks good to me, especially as that's your first day. There's a reason they don't teach you anything about your body position until level 3 of the school though, as it's more important to lay the foundations and get your vision and other skills sorted first.

Hi James, and welcome!

More right with your body position than wrong, but your helmet sits pretty low. I'd get some foam and put in the top, you will be able to see better.

My view is different--use the school to get the confidence and train in the right direction, than have to go and fix a bad habit...something to consider!

Best,

Cobie

If that's your BP during your first track day, you're head and shoulders above 99% of the other first time riders I've ridden with. Working on getting farther down on the tank and, if you're having problems locking in, slide your butt back to get your leg closer to the tank, is about all I could give you without watching you ride. And as Cobie said, you look like a kid wearing his dads helmet. Those are very good photos.

Your body position looks good to me, especially as that's your first day. There's a reason they don't teach you anything about your body position until level 3 of the school though, as it's more important to lay the foundations and get your vision and other skills sorted first.

Hi Steve thanks for the feedback, I always thought it was body position that was so important, shows how little i know lol, thank god i found this forum!

Hi James, and welcome!

More right with your body position than wrong, but your helmet sits pretty low. I'd get some foam and put in the top, you will be able to see better.

My view is different--use the school to get the confidence and train in the right direction, than have to go and fix a bad habit...something to consider!

Best,

Cobie

Thanks for the welcome Cobie, I have a Suomy which sits a little higher on my head so I'm going to start using that for track instead, As I said I would love to do the school ASAP but funds and work commitments this year put it out of the question. I have watched Twist of the Wrist 2 since my first post to try and give me a head start, all this counter steering is very confusing! I was going to buy TOTW the book so i can try and disect it more slowly. Would I be better getting book 1 or 2?

It looks fine to me.Great bike and leathers.Love the personal plate.

Cobie, can you see anything wrong? Is there some stiffness in the shoulders?

Thanks Stroker, that bike was my baby, I pampered her to death! some people think plates are stupid, I think there a good bit of fun, thanks for the kind words!

If that's your BP during your first track day, you're head and shoulders above 99% of the other first time riders I've ridden with. Working on getting farther down on the tank and, if you're having problems locking in, slide your butt back to get your leg closer to the tank, is about all I could give you without watching you ride. And as Cobie said, you look like a kid wearing his dads helmet. Those are very good photos.

Thanks for the advice Jason, I find my big fat belly getting in the way ha ha, but i shall try and put this into practice when next out on track, I fitted stomp grips just before the track session and found they made me far more confident on the brakes. I was pleased with the photos, hopefully get some more at snetterton!

Regards

James

• 4 weeks later...

Hi James, not many fellow limeys on here! As said above your BP looks pretty good, there are plenty of threads on here but really having the instructor in front of you for a conflab cannot be replaced. As Hotfoot says, try locking on with your outside leg (foot and knee hence the Stomp grips) so you can have a nice light touch on the bars, and try gettign your ass back and body a little flatter/more weight over the front as you are mainly hanging off straight outwards and so getting your knee down with plenty of space under the peg. Anyway yes Silverstone is great for CSS, if you need a B&B nearby then I can recommend a couple, the day is long and you need your brain in gear, but you'll love it.