Mc Insurance Recommendations For School?

I just discovered that my motorcycle insurance - with Safeco - expressly exempts paying for damage to my bike that occurs during a "high performance driving school", or on a "racetrack".

As this is otherwise the most affordable insurance I have found, I'd like to keep it and take out a 1-day policy just for attending the school.

Does anyone have a recommendation for such insurance? If not, does anyone have a recommendation for "all the time" motorcycle insurance that is known to cover accidents that might occur at the school?

I can't offer much to help other than with my own story. I was taking CSS Level 3 at VIR a few years ago and I crashed while riding my own bike (which was my street bike and not a dedicated track bike). I filed a claim with Progressive and they paid the claim on the basis I was receiving advanced training and therefore I wasn't negligent. Progressive was superb to work with during the claim process and never once hinted they wouldn't help me. Not only did they pay the claim on the bike, they reimbursed me for my helmet (which was brand new) which was damaged in the crash (I impacted more or less head first). I've no idea how other companies would handle a similar claim but I can say Progressive was outstanding.

I would recommend that you look into Foremost. They cover track days as long as its not a timed event (racing). .. I haven't made a claim, but they have been good to deal with, with all the bikes I have. I can't use progressive because they won't cover certain sportbikes (especially newer superbike models), so I dropped them and went to foremost.

I have never had to file personally....But I have friends with Statefarm who have and they have paid (plus gear and accesories) without any fuss or hassle.

You may have to ask your insurance agent what sort of rider policy would cover this (if you plan to stay with them). If they have any, otherwise you may have to get on the phone for another company

• 1 month later...

But if you file the claim for an accident at the track, won't your monthly rate increase on all the vehicles you own?

I'm operating under the pretense that if I break something at a trackday it's coming 100% out of my pocket.

I do have full coverage through Foremost though! Overall is it cheaper to claim the crash or fix it yourself?!

• 4 months later...

I can't offer much to help other than with my own story. I was taking CSS Level 3 at VIR a few years ago and I crashed while riding my own bike (which was my street bike and not a dedicated track bike). I filed a claim with Progressive and they paid the claim on the basis I was receiving advanced training and therefore I wasn't negligent. Progressive was superb to work with during the claim process and never once hinted they wouldn't help me. Not only did they pay the claim on the bike, they reimbursed me for my helmet (which was brand new) which was damaged in the crash (I impacted more or less head first). I've no idea how other companies would handle a similar claim but I can say Progressive was outstanding.

If they covered your bike, do you think they will cover you if you wreck one of the school bikes?

Speak with your agent about your specific policy. My own policy does cover track riding as long as it is a "school" and not a race or trackday and carries the same coverage I have on the street. So it protects me, my bike and anyone/anything else I injure/damage up to its limits. My personal policy does not however cover someone elses bike if I am riding their bike and fall down, it would still cover me though. I have a seperate policy that covers me on anything I ride or drive.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If its truly a track only bike, you will most likely have removed all the road going bits for the added weight savings, headlights, turn signals, tail lights etc. and replaced the easy to damage stock plastics with more suitable track bodywork so its not road legal, that can however make resale of the bike less profitable. Either way there is no need to register and plate a vehicle that is not going to be used on public roadways. I have read that its still a good idea to at least have the bike titled in your name in case you should be pulled over while transporting it by a zealous officer who wants to run the VIN# and make sure its not stolen.

Tyler

My reply was specifically in response to Pepsi Drinker, who stated he has a "policy that covers me on anything I ride or drive." I'm not talking just about a track day bike. My policy covers my bike. If I borrow a friends, or rent, I don't have coverage.

Thanks.