Which Bike Should I Use?

I am going to sign up this week for the CSS finally. Since I first posted, I have made some changes :) I sold my Harley and only kept my 05' R1. But I have always wanted crossplane R1, so two weeks ago I went out and purchased a brand new 2012 R1 :D My question is, which bike would you use for CSS? The 05' or the 12'? I have never done a track day and I have only been riding almost one year now. I was thinking of taking the 05' just in case I have a mishap. What do you all think?

CSS isn't a track day, it's a school. Not that you should take excessive risks even at a track day, but at the school they really stress that improving as a rider requires that you stay well within your comfort zone so you can focus on the specific skill you're trying to develop and not be distracted by fear or nerves. Crashes do occur at CSS, but very rarely compared to a typical track day. You also have the option of using their bike, which takes that concern out of the equation. And those S1000rrs are really amazing.

Tech was pretty basic and at VIR many rode right from the street onto the track without any tape except on the speedo that the tech guy/girl put there. So I wouldn't get too ansy or worry too much about tech inspection. As long as you have decent tread, no leaks, the bike appears to be in good safe. rideable condition you will be fine.

But if bringing two bikes is easy, it can't hurt to have a back up just in case you have a mechanical or worst case scenario do fall. Personally I would ride the 05, for that "just in case" but I took my only bike to VIR and take that same bike to all "trackday" events as well. I worry more about others crashing into me than myself falling down. But anyone can make a mistake it's a risk vs reward thing.

These were just my observations, take it for what it is worth. Personally I removed mirrors etc because just in case can get expensive quickly, small pieces at a time still add up.

Tech was pretty basic and at VIR many rode right from the street onto the track without any tape except on the speedo that the tech guy/girl put there. So I wouldn't get too ansy or worry too much about tech inspection. As long as you have decent tread, no leaks, the bike appears to be in good safe. rideable condition you will be fine.

But if bringing two bikes is easy, it can't hurt to have a back up just in case you have a mechanical or worst case scenario do fall. Personally I would ride the 05, for that "just in case" but I took my only bike to VIR and take that same bike to all "trackday" events as well. I worry more about others crashing into me than myself falling down. But anyone can make a mistake it's a risk vs reward thing.

These were just my observations, take it for what it is worth. Personally I removed mirrors etc because just in case can get expensive quickly, small pieces at a time still add up.

Thanks for the info. I think I may have the 05' sold this weekend. looks like I may be taking the 12' r1 alone:)

The Harley would have been fine, but it's gone. If you ride your own bike it really doesn't matter what it is. Ride what your comfy on, or rent one from the school and save the hassle of having to take care of your bike between class and track.

Learn as much as you can, then think about it later. At that point you realize you learned much more than you bargained for. And enjoy.