Body Positioning

At what level do you guys teach proper body positioning? I did level one and it was awesome. But didn't learn anything about body positioning. I was just keeping my butt in the seat, not trying to drag a knee or anything. I was actually trying to keep my knees tucked in. I was moving my head into the turn and looking like I was suppose to. Here's me, #5 on the blue R1.

IMG_9372_zps334ca54c.jpg

That is the focus of Level 3. Is that Streets of Willow? I don't see any candy striping...

At what level do you guys teach proper body positioning? I did level one and it was awesome. But didn't learn anything about body positioning.

Franco;

The four levels are sequential because they build on the skill sets provided at the previous level. Your last drill was a preview of what you could/will learn if you return for Level 2 and then L2 ends with a preview of L3. What we all see once we attend our first School is how much is involved in cornering a motorcycle at speed.

Rainman

BP is actually covered on Lvl 2. You will first do it with a coach on a static bike, you'll cover some common BP errors and why they would be considered errors and then you will be shown a BP that is "correct" or advantageous for YOU. The reason I emphasize the last bit is that everybody is built differently and will fit on the machine with slight differences.

Once you and the coach have found a good BP he/she will put you on the Lean Bike and you will ride around the coach on the skid pad and work on the left and right side separately until they feel good to you and look right to the coach. Then you will take your new position onto the track and your coach can work with you there as necessary.

Lvl 3 is about more than body position. We cover BP on Lvl 2 and you ride the lean bike then also. Lvl 3 goes more into how you can best position and move your body on the machine for maximum benefit. About how to move around with the most stability and where to move to.

• 3 weeks later...

I did the 2 day camp June 10 and 11 2013 at Willow.

The school, Instructors and course control were professional and ran the entire event flawlessly.

After all my years of road riding (Since late 70's) I still found every workshop and drill to be great learning experiences which improved my overall riding and confidence.
This was also my first venture on a track.

I would recommend doing the Body position/Lean bike exercise as early as you can on your Level 2 class so that you will not be tired.

On my 2 day camp without realizing what I was doing, I basically leaned my body to the inside of the bike but kept my butt on the seat and knees clamped to the gas tank.

This I found was taxing on the body, consequently having left the lean bike exercise till late on day 2, I found I felt too tired to experiment with body position on the track.

One of my co-riders Richard did the lean /body position bike exercise on day 1 and said that applying good body position left him with way more energy at the end of day 2.

I would also recommend buying the pictures taken by the CSS photographer.
The quality of the pictures are amazing plus you will learn a lot about what you are doing with body position from the pictures as well.
Hope this helps.

Paul

post-23913-0-05917500-1382124780_thumb.png

Looking at the whole subject of body positioning, it's covered in pieces throughout the levels. The very first look a this is in Level 1 with the Steering Drill. A number of aspects are covered there.

The next big look at it, and a great training aid, is the Lean Bike. Normally done at Level 2.

Lastly, we go into quite a bit of detail on this in Level 3, most of the day is devoted to sorting/refining different pieces of this part of the rider's skills.

• 2 months later...

My first 2-day course is in April, I would like to train prior to avoid any fatigue during the school. Are there any excersises or stretching I should be doing on / off my bike to prepare for the school?

Currently when I ride in canyons I find myself slightly shifting my butt and sticking my knee out before entering a corner. I find it takes less energy and gives me better control when leaning over the bike. Although BP is probably not covered in this 2-day course, If I find myself practicing it will it affect my training or should I avoid it and just keep my knees tucked in the whole time?

Welcome to the forum and the school! You will do level 1 the first day and level 2 the second so you will definitely get some training on body position. There is a good thread on fitness for riding in this forum you can check out for physical training. I wouldn't worry much about how you practice riding before the course but I would recommend reading A Twist of the Wrist 2 and/or watch the DVD prior so you are somewhat familiar with the basic material. It will help you absorb the large amount of info you will be presented during the school because it won't all be brand new to you. The book & DVD are available on this website or electronically at Amazon. Good luck and enjoy!

Benny

With feedback from my on-track coach, the lean bike, and some expert CSS coaching, I improved my body position each CSS level I took.

The lean bike really isolated the problem, that I was turning my body to the outside of the corner for some reason. The lean bike and coach encouraged me to open up my hips to the direction I was turning, and after a few circles it worked. It felt like such an extreme position because my body was habitually in a bad position, but it doesn't look extreme and certainly is more effective to ride!

The best part of getting my body position 'fixed' was I could now use my outside leg to really clasp onto the tank, instead of wearing out my inside leg trying to hold up my body weight and all the subsequent effects of that (wrenching the handlebars for support, and thereby adding steering input through the corner and making the bike unhappy).

I love the lean bike!