Coach, What's Your Wet Dream?

What would be your dream student? Would it be to work with somebody already proven world champion and help him become even better, like Lorenzo etc? Or would you prefer someone who is close, but still missing that tiny bit to make it to the very top, like Iannone etc? Or somebody little known internationally, but still with some solid results to show for him, like Herrin etc.? Or would you love to start with a promising young kid and follow him from the begging and over the long term, like the next couple of decades, and make him champion? Maybe you dream of being the coach that brought the world the first female MotoGP champion? Or perhaps you don't care about any of that and simply would want to work with mediocre students and bring them up to a respectable standard?

Please share with us what makes your eyes sparkle :)

Wow, this is an interesting question. Personally, for me, I most enjoy knowing that that I was part of something that really made a difference for a student. When a student says (and this happens more often than you think) "This was the best day of my life!", I am thrilled to have been a part of that. I have gotten some notes from students saying "you saved my life" because they used something they learned at the school to avoid a nasty accident; what could be more incredible than hearing THAT from someone?

Some students are very memorable because they made amazing progress, some because they had SUCH a great time, and some because the school made a difference in their lives - in a way that goes beyond just their riding.

Some of the best days I've ever had coaching were when a student started out very slow and maybe nervous or afraid, but listened carefully in class and applied the material, and made HUGE progress and ended up going faster and having more fun than they ever imagined was possible. Sometimes at the end of the day they try to tell me how they feel and their eyes well up with emotion (yes, even grown men) because what they have accomplished that day is so meaningful to them, and THAT is one of the biggest rewards I could ever get.

Making a fast racer into the very FASTEST racer would be cool, but the thing that really lights me up is seeing students overcome barriers, and the leaping, joyous sense of accomplishment that brings, to them and to me.

• Thanks 1

Brings tears to my eyes when a guy tells you you saved his life (and maybe another's) directly from a skill he learned at the school.

One Marine did a 2-day school, came back from riding home one the first day and basically said this.

Another told us about a head on collision he was saved from (with his wife on track).

Having a racer do well is top, but the above...makes my days.