Base Layers For 1-Piece Suits

I'm taking the 2-day course at SoW this April and want to be comfortable as possible. I'm betting it will be a bit warm but not too hot.

This will be my first time wearing a full suit and wanted to know what if anything should I be wearing under the suit. I've seen some base layer stuff out there on the market but not sure if I should wear a t-shirt or invest in a quality undergarment. I already have a pair of Dianese high-rise socks, but what else should I consider using?

If you plan to continue riding in one piece leathers, a mesh undersuit is a good option - they are made to fit under leathers, comfortable and washable - but if you don't currently have full leathers, something like UnderArmour shirts/shorts work great. They keep you cool, make it easier to get in and out of leathers, and help prevent any uncomfortable sticking or rubbing of the leathers. Any sporting goods store will have something like UnderArmour. They work a lot better than a T shirt - T shirts can bunch up under leathers, and can get sweaty and hot. Something close fitting and moisture-wicking will feel much better, and a smooth/slippery texture really does help to keep the leathers from rubbing your skin anywhere, plus making it easier to get in and out of them.

I've been using UnderArmour Pants and long shirts. Depending on the season will determine if you use cold or hot gear.

If you want to try something else

http://www.twistedcore.com/ - Haven't tried it yet but heard good things.

http://www.motodracing.com/motorcycle-undersuit.html

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have STG's PsycleSkins Undersuit, it's 1 1/2 seasons old and beginning to fall apart. Great deal for what I paid for it. I did not buy it new. It's like $60 new.

I'm looking to get the Revit Excellerator Race Undersuit. A friend has one and it's considerably nicer and looks to be more durable than what I have.

• 2 years later...

Cotton=BAD.

You essentially get what you pay for in an undersuit but here are a few tips to help with your purchasing decisions (from someone who has done their homework).

Rule #1 NEVER wear a cotton tee shirt, PERIOD.

Look at the label. Nylon or polyester is what you are looking for as those materials do not absorb as much water as cotton does. They dry much quicker which promotes the cooling sensation and does not leave you in a cold sweat when entering air conditioned indoors. Cotton absorbs water at an enormous rate, swelling up the fibers and closing the pores of the fabric. The fabric gets heavier and traps air between the skin and fabric, causing overheating and potential dehydration (unnecessary excess sweating).

Wallymart or any generic sports stores have them for an extremely low cost that perform better then a tee shirt, and that's a good start.

If your looking for the next step up, that generally means that you don't want to smell bad, deal with fit issues or chaffing, and you want better performance from the fabric that will do a decent job of keeping you cooler, lasting longer, and reducing dehydration. Again, look at the label. If you see Lycra, or Spandex along with Polyester or Nylon, you are getting a decent product with some stretch (more comfortable). If you see Elastine, that means the fabric is made of a cheaper no-name elastic which will degrade quite quickly, stretch out, and fall apart. That generally indicates the overall quality of the fabric and namebrand. If they are purchasing the cheapest fabric available then they are likely finding the cheapest sewing etc.

It is important to note that 2 different polyester or Nylon fabrics will perform very differently. The way in which a polyester or Nylon thread is woven together to make the fabric also affects the performance of the fabric (quick drying, better breathing). This is where the "you get what you pay for" concept kicks into high gear. There is a reason why cycling apparel is very expensive.

This is a piece of kit that is growing in popularity in this industry. At the track it is a necessary must. Its a good idea to go with a product that specializes in motorcycle baselayers because the fit will be specific to riding (and fitting under leathers) and your supporting the sport you love so much.

I start with Underarmor and moved my way up from there. Just being able to don my leathers easier was a massive deal.

Hope this helps guys!!!

We've been using the MotoD stuff, and it works pretty well, and a decent price, but for sure stay away from cotton as mentioned above.

I start with Underarmor and moved my way up from there. Just being able to don my leathers easier was a massive deal.

I use Underarmour and have been REALLY happy with it - but when you say moved your way up from there, what did you move up to, specifically? The MotoD undersuits are really nice but I like (for myself) the flexibility of separate shorts/pants and shirt, so I can mix and match warm or cool layers, and wear underneath regular clothes for quick changes back and forth between regular clothes and leathers. I'm due for some new stuff though, if you found something even better than Underarmour, I'm interested to hear about it.

I bought a 2-piece from Wally-World made by Russel. It was priced well enough that I could buy 2 sets to wear at the track. And just because I'm not at the track doesn't mean I can't wear them...I'm actually wearing a set right now (not kidding). It does a good job of temperature regulation and insulation and I'm also experimenting with sleeping in them (so far, so good) for the same reason.

My AGV suit has a built-in mesh liner. It's okay to get in and out, but the 2pc makes it that much easier and frankly I can't forsee myself spending more than I did for perhaps a greater (perhaps marginally increased?) ROI, but YMMV.

Based on the responses above, are mesh liners not standard in a 1-pc leather?

The mesh is standard in all leathers as far as I know but there is also mesh undergear worn inside those leathers. I have not tried those as it's difficult for a woman to go around with see-through undergear lol. We may as well just wear non mesh baselayers.

In all honesty, it's difficult to see men wearing them too. Sometimes you just see things you dont wanna see lol.

The mesh is standard in all leathers as far as I know but there is also mesh undergear worn inside those leathers. I have not tried those as it's difficult for a woman to go around with see-through undergear lol. We may as well just wear non mesh baselayers.

In all honesty, it's difficult to see men wearing them too. Sometimes you just see things you dont wanna see lol.

AMEN to everything you just said!!!!

And you just hit upon one of the primary reasons I like the Underarmour shirts and shorts, a little more modest than walking around in a weird see-through bodysuit with a zipper all the way up the front.

The Moto-D suits are a lot better because the holes in the mesh are very small and so it isn't as transparent.

When everyone was wearing the older style wide-mesh suits I knew a lot more about where everyone's tattoos and piercings were than I ever really wanted to know....

AMEN to everything you just said!!!!

And you just hit upon one of the primary reasons I like the Underarmour shirts and shorts, a little more modest than walking around in a weird see-through bodysuit with a zipper all the way up the front.

The Moto-D suits are a lot better because the holes in the mesh are very small and so it isn't as transparent.

When everyone was wearing the older style wide-mesh suits I knew a lot more about where everyone's tattoos and piercings were than I ever really wanted to know....

People actually went in public in these things!!! Ewwwww.....

*Note: My "Ewwww" only applies to men in mesh (smile).

I don't think the MotoD suits are mesh at all...unless I've not paid attention?

Probably I should have said "the material is more tightly woven" and less see-through. It doesn't look like mesh but I imagine if you look closely enough it is - but that is probably technically true of any woven fabric. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I use Underarmour and have been REALLY happy with it - but when you say moved your way up from there, what did you move up to, specifically? The MotoD undersuits are really nice but I like (for myself) the flexibility of separate shorts/pants and shirt, so I can mix and match warm or cool layers, and wear underneath regular clothes for quick changes back and forth between regular clothes and leathers. I'm due for some new stuff though, if you found something even better than Underarmour, I'm interested to hear about it.

Super sorry, I just noticed this question.

This is a tough question to answer but I will do the best I can. Each person has specific needs. You have illustrated yours but I do have more questions for you.

Also, I own a baselayer business and would not feel comfortable about knocking certain brands or being too biased of other brands, especially on a forum that is not my place to go advertising what I do. What I can tell you for sure is the feedback riders have given me on products they have used, and my own experiences with various products I have tested. If you tell me your needs I can PM you which brands I think work best for that.

Because you are a female I might put more emphasis on finding something that fits right because underarmor just doesn't understand women's shapes and their gear often rides up into a sports bra look. Something made for your shape is something you'd be happy to invest in IMO.

Durability is usually sought after by larger folks who somehow wear through their gear and stretch it out more easily. They have often told me that their UA tops only last them a season. Keeping in mind that general sports products were intentionally meant to only last one season so you buy more. In this instant I'd recommend motorcycle brand products from smaller companies because they won't cheap out saving pennies here and there because their volumes are much smaller. They will likely give you better customer service as well.

Performance (cooling/heating/quick drying/compression) is sought after by everyone but how much is needed? Are you riding in mild weather or extreme temperature weather? Do you overheat more than others or sweat a lot?

Are you looking for compression to reduce muscle fatigue or perhaps help with blood flow, or with sliding in your leathers better? Do you ever get numbness in areas when riding?

PM me and I'm happy to help.

• 1 month later...