Css After Level Iv

So if I wanted to return to CSS after doing Level I to IV (don't have a track bike for now and like the BMW1000R rentals), what should I register for? More Level IV? Code Race?

What the returning Level IV students do?

So if I wanted to return to CSS after doing Level I to IV (don't have a track bike for now and like the BMW1000R rentals), what should I register for? More Level IV? Code Race?

What the returning Level IV students do?

Like T said above, you can come back and do Level 4 as any times as you like. As a Level 4 student, your program will be customized specifically for you - your will work with your on-track coach and a Level 4 consultant to figure out what areas of your riding you want to work on, and create a program for the day.

Level 4 is really a lot of fun; I was a Level 4 student many times and I couldn't believe how much progress I made every time. Eventually I showed up with the goal "get ready for racing", at which point I really picked up my pace and then I signed up for CodeRace as a true race-prep experience.

There are some students who come do Level 4 at the school a few times a year on the school BMWs instead of doing open track days - it's really convenient because that way you don't have to buy and maintain a track bike, the riding environment is safer, more organized and friendlier than open track days, and you have great coaching which makes it much more rewarding overall. Plus you can try a variety of different tracks without having to haul a bike all over the country.

Hmmm, good points, what about if it's been a couple of years since you completed the Level IV?

As an example, I would like to do the braking again, would you go on a Level IV class or back to the level that had the braking classes?

Hmmm, good points, what about if it's been a couple of years since you completed the Level IV?

As an example, I would like to do the braking again, would you go on a Level IV class or back to the level that had the braking classes?

In Level 4 you can do ANY of the prior drills, so Level 4 would work great, just mention that you want to work in braking, either in your Level 4 survey (filled out prior to the class) or with your Level 4 consultant at the beginning of the day. Level 4 will give you more flexibility to work on braking for as much or as little as you need to, during the course of your day, plus it would give you more time to get out to off-track to ride the special Braking Bike training rig, if you wish to do so.

However, there certainly are students who sometimes choose to re-do a level, or all the levels, in order to hear all the classroom material again and/or to do all the drills in their specific Level 1-3 order. I did that myself, after a long break from riding; it had been a while and I wanted to hear all the classroom material again. So, ultimately it is up to you.

Spaghetti,

You might enjoy this older thread - it addresses a similar question.

http://forums.superbikeschool.com/index.php?showtopic=3897&hl

I also finished all 4 levels, and wanted more training. My suggestion is to stick to level 4. Keith recently updated the Level 4 program and added dozens of drills to the instructor's level 4 playbook, just for guys like you.

I'm going to move on to CODE RACE, then I'll come back for some more Level 4's.

Nicely covered.

The idea with L-4 is tailoring the program. The new L-4 refinements have some basis on what Keith does with hisprivate students, pretty cool both the coaches and students like it a lot.

CF

I'm one of the repeat offenders in the level 4 program and a big fan of the program. The ability to drill down into one thing and literally work on it all day with your coach if necessary can be invaluable in refining your riding or just really understanding one of the basics as it relates to your current ability level. The level 4 lets you go back to those skills when your speed increases and you need to up your proficiency at a skill. Additionally the one on one time with the your coach can help you identify areas you weren’t even aware you needed to work on.

• 3 months later...

When I recently attended CSS, they broke us up into two groups: level 1/2 students and level 3/4 students. I was in the level 1/2 group so forgive me if this is a uninformed question: When I'm a returning/repeat level 4 student, am I expected to attend the classroom sessions and ride track sessions with no brakes or do we immediately jump in to working on my goals? I'm not suggesting that my goals couldn't benefit from the classroom revisit or some track orientation time at lower speeds. I'm just trying to get a sense of how this works as a repeating level 4 student.

For Level 4, you don't have the standard classroom briefings. Instead, you work with a Level 4 consultant during that time to work through YOUR specific goals. Your Level 4 consultant (who will also be supporting some other L4 students) will communicate with your on-track coach throughout the day.

Instead of a formal classroom with a seminarist, Level 4 has an informal class with the Level 4 consultant where each student will work on his/her plan for the day. Your drill (the skill you are working on) for your first session of the day will be decided with the L4 consultant at the beginning of the day, based on a L4 survey you will be asked to fill out and a discussion with the consultant. The consultant will communicate with your on-track coach so he/she knows what you are working on. After you ride that session you will debrief with your on-track coach and decide what to do next - which could mean continuing with the same drill or moving on to a different one, depending on how your ride went. After your debrief you will go to your L4 consultant and discuss your ride and your plan, and in working with your consultant you can make that plan more specific, or get more education about a skill, or possibly even change the plan if that L4 discussion ends up finding a different/better way to improve the thing you are working on. You also get the chance to listen in on what other L4 students are working on, which can be very educational too. The rest of the day will work the same - you ride, then debrief with your on-track coach, then go see your L4 consultant, then have a break (if it is a single-day school) or go right back on track (2 day camp).

As far as ride format goes, you DO have more braking and more gears available to you earlier in the day than the other levels - it isn't full-gears/full-brakes in first session (mainly because other riders will be out there that are doing no-brakes) but you do get more flexibility than you did in Level 1 to use more brakes and more gears earlier in the day.

Thanks Hotfoot! That's exactly the information I was looking for. I do remember hearing someone mention "the level 4 lounge" at VIR and now I know a little bit about what happens in there and it's not all margaritas and better food :)

Any coach (or any other staff member!) will always try to answer your questions as best they can, time permitting, and if they don't have enough info to help you they'll get you to someone who does.

In regards to drills - for whatever you are looking for, I'd be surprised if there wasn't already a drill for it! There are many, many drills available for a coach or consultant to choose from and it would be unusual to need to go outside those - Keith has been doing this for more than 37 years, there isn't much he hasn't run across before!

There is not a good way to practice starts at a regular school since the track is in constant use, however it is a standard exercise in CodeRACE. It is possible to work on passing, but if you are looking for racing-type close passing, CodeRACE is the more appropriate environment for that also.

Stroker,

If you're looking for somewhere to practice your starts, try your local drag strip, the should have a "Test and Tune" night. The strip here at Irwindale has it on Thursday nights, 20$ to race, runs from 4 - 10 pm, 6 hours worth of timed drag runs, all the practice starts your Clutch can handle

Tyler