Foot Position And Rear Suspension Movement Video

Great point Dylan, that had never struck me before.

Have we finally come to a consensus as to what exactly the dangling achieves? Is it useful in the wet as you turn in on the brakes?

Not for me. It's speculation at this point. All I can say is it would change the location of the combined C of G for a slightly more favorable orientation while trailing in (more upright), but the advantage being very slight.

Would you say that it is best to lock yourself to the tank with both knees rather than drag a boot or put it pointing outward as you are on the brakes and about to turn in?

No I would not say that. I would say that it's best to lock on with your outside knee, which we see most riders doing. Do what's comfortable with the inside leg: dangle, on peg, knee to tank, knee swung out, etc.

Dylan,

From looking at the video it seems that you have little or no weight on the inside foot. It seems natural that with little or no weight that the entire leg would be relaxed and can feel the ground better. This has been a topic that has puzzled me for some time even after attending the school.

Can you please clarify the weight distribution and change between the time you are upright with 0 lean and at full lean for a corner.

Ah jeez. That's tough to specifically answer because I think it will vary depending on corner type, bike type, rider fit to bike, tank grips or not, and the list goes on. When I was on track at Willow yesterday I paid attention to the amount of weight I was supporting with my inside leg and there definitely was weight being supported but I would not say it was a significant amount. I would say more than "light" and less than "moderate" as a very rough, vague and useless description.

I would agree that you would have better feel with a more relaxed leg, though bar feel would be far more important.

Zero lean would be less weight than leaned, for certain.

Thanks, this clears it up for me.

Absolutely for stability. When those guys are braking into a corner going down from 180 MPH to 70 MPH, applying the back brake is gonna make you fish tail a lot of the time. Its all about suspension, suspension,suspension. I assume Lorenzo has a bike where technicians have his suspension so dialed in that he rarely needs to stabilize.

NEW TO FIREBLADES by the way.

2002 Honda 919

modified minorly

Absolutely for stability. When those guys are braking into a corner going down from 180 MPH to 70 MPH, applying the back brake is gonna make you fish tail a lot of the time. Its all about suspension, suspension,suspension. I assume Lorenzo has a bike where technicians have his suspension so dialed in that he rarely needs to stabilize.

NEW TO FIREBLADES by the way.

2002 Honda 919

modified minorly

I thought the "fishtailing" in Motogp was due more to weight transfer onto front wheel during heavy braking and less to using rear brakes.

Its been said that Lorenzo doesn't brake as hard as the others but brakes earlier, for longer and less severe so his bike remains stable.

Hi Dylan

Nice video on the foot position when hanging off...

And I thought I was strange when I did it that way... Here is a photo of me about 2-years back.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10697702/FootPosition-KneeDown.JPG

Been doing it then, and still doing it now. I dont know - but personally, it feels more comfortable, and that I could open my leg wider/extend me knee further.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think, as long as you're foot isn't getting in the way, that it's significant where you place your foot, as long as you're comfortable. Some school, in Texas I believe, teaches that "Triangle of Light," and it's silly how much time they put into teaching this. I've been trying (with varying degrees of success) to ride like Rossi did before moving to Ducati. He didn't stick his knee out much at all, like mostly everyone else does. When he turned the bike, he knew the limit. It was sensational to watch. He was just suddenly sliding his knee AND at max lean. I'm sure it was pending the corner though.

I personally have my foot thrust up against the attachment of the peg to the bike with maybe my inside foot coming off the peg (lifting) slightly. I'll scrape peg (stock '05 ZX6R) before boot. Not sure I have any scuffs on this boot edge. That's with approximately 50/50 pressure weighting the pegs. When I was sticking my knee out to guide myself down, my foot was rotated out and pointed toward the ground while I was cornering. I was at Auto Club during the shootout last month and got on the CSS hydraulic bike and was given some good instruction to start hanging half a cheek off instead of a whole cheek, so I'm going to try that soon and would anticipate I'll need to turn my foot out even less, as I don't really stick my knee out much anymore until I'm near max lean.

• 4 weeks later...

So Dylan, I'm looking at your body/foot position picture, and I see an imaginary line between the front tire and your knee, AND I see your foot at least 3"-4" above the pavement. At least it looks that way in the picture. So I'm thinking that's 3"-4" further down a rider could put their foot pegs. I know your not riding a touring bike, but why be more scrunched up and uncomfortable than you NEED to be?

post-16514-0-30723200-1402705580_thumb.jpg

So Dylan, I'm looking at your body/foot position picture, and I see an imaginary line between the front tire and your knee, AND I see your foot at least 3"-4" above the pavement. At least it looks that way in the picture. So I'm thinking that's 3"-4" further down a rider could put their foot pegs. I know your not riding a touring bike, but why be more scrunched up and uncomfortable than you NEED to be?

The bike is not leaned over all the way in the photo. If the pegs were lower, they would provide less available lean angle. Also a heavier rider with more cornering force would lower the bike's ride height and make the pegs hit easier, not to mention what bumps would do to the suspension.

I hope I understood your question correctly.