My Racing Blog

Thanks Laura - I love hearing that other people enjoy the blog posts. It's not hard at all to make them interesting because every single race weekend really is an adventure. Wes asking his mom if it is okay for him to keep racing - you can't make stuff like that up. My team mates are also a riot. The reason I throw Allen under the bus almost every post is because he always spends the whole weekend teasing everyone else mercilessly. We are in stitches every evening.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool stuff YD, congrats on the weekend.

Sounds like humidity/water in the connectors somewhere. I would take all the connectors apart, use contact cleaner and maybe even fill the plugs with vaseline as a safeguard against humidity.

Cool stuff YD, congrats on the weekend.

Sounds like humidity/water in the connectors somewhere. I would take all the connectors apart, use contact cleaner and maybe even fill the plugs with vaseline as a safeguard against humidity.

Thanks for the suggestion. That's what I was thinking too. I was also considering getting a bike cover to keep it from collecting so much dew in the morning.

• 3 weeks later...

This sounded like a twilight zone episode with all the injuries. Glad to hear things are going well for you.

Hugh, thanks for posting the blog entry - quite entertaining. Too bad about braking too late, but you sure did give yourself some motivation to pick up your pace!

Round 4 is this weekend. I am going for Friday practice as well. Should be a full field - I think all of the fast guys are going to be there this round.

I already have a enough points to be admitted to the provincial championship round, but rounds 4 and 5 are all that is left to determine the series championship. I really should be just riding conservatively to cruise to the championship at this point, but I doubt that is how it will work out...if I have a chance for the race win I am sure I will try to take it. I was several seconds per lap faster than everyone else in Round 3, and the track configuration this weekend favors my bike even more.

Stay tuned....

Hugh;

Good luck this weekend. The Prairie Dog Racing Team's two man fan club of me and Kai are already setting time aside to read your racing blog and watch all the video.

...go Dogs!

[PS I do realize that only part of your racing is with the Dogs but your own racing team doesn't have as cool a name as the "Dogs" so your fan base isn't as deep]

Here's a challenge for the Forum; try to come up with a name for Yellow Duck's personal racing team. and let's see if we can make one up that is as cool as the Prairie Dog Racing Team's. Names with Logo's will be graded higher in this contest.

Just read your latest blog entry. I really enjoy reading these, they are such a terrific real-life look at club racing. This last one was great, as always, I love the photos of the crazy costumes in the pit bike race.

I can really relate to the situation of wondering if it would be better to pack up and go home -but not wanting to lose the points you need!

Kevin says you have a two man fan club here on the forum- maybe so but there's at least one girl in the club too. :)

Here's a challenge for the Forum; try to come up with a name for Yellow Duck's personal racing team. and let's see if we can make one up that is as cool as the Prairie Dog Racing Team's. Names with Logo's will be graded higher in this contest.

So , perhaps its too soon but, "Team 3 and 2 Half Fingers "

So , perhaps its too soon but, "Team 3 and 2 Half Fingers "

Oh god. Too soon!

Ha ha. I really like the duck you suggestion. And no it is not too soon for finger jokes. They starts days after I lost it and it has been nearly a year.

Great qualifying race today. Finished second but thinking I can challenge for the win tomorrow.

Sitting by the camp fire having a whiskey and reading all your posts. It's so nice having cyber friends to share the experience with.

Great racing there and great mind tricks on Bob, Hugh!

For Sheri, aren't there another photographer up there, that you could have take a really good shot of her racing, and then present it as a nice big print for her?

Very well played on Bob with Allen telling him that you're 3 seconds faster than him :D

I noticed that you're not getting all the way to the apex on at least some of the RHS corners, like the one leading out on the long back straight, and the right hander just after the straight. There might be a few tens' to be found there :)

Also, I really appreciate that you take your time to add the captions on the video, it becomes so much more entertaining for us that don't know who the riders in front are.

Congrats on the victory - now for the final punch to clinch the crown.

PS: What's the difference between the Heavy- and lightweight classes?

Edit: I can recommend a substance refered to as "Loctite" for bolts and nuts that shouldn't come off. Which also reminds me that maybe I should check my own clutch at some point :mellow:

What is this "loctite" you speak of? ;)

I don't pretend to have optimized my lines or maximized my corner speeds on any of the track layouts. I am sure that there are still full seconds to be had just in riding skill without touching the limitations of the suspension or tires. On one of the corners you speak of (leading onto the long back straight) though there is some very poor asphalt directly at the apex, so I purposely avoid that. There are quite a few possible lines through that corner at my current corner speed but yes, as I manage to crank it up a bit a more "ideal" line is going to be necessary.

By the right hander just after the straight, do you mean the very long "carousel" turn? That corner is so long and so wide that, again, there are about a dozen suitable lines through there at my current speed. Even at pro pace there are lots of options in that one.

Our class designations get a bit complicated, but here is what the rulebook says for BOTT LW and BOTT HW:

Lightweight:
800cc Liquid Cooled Multi Valve
1100cc Air Cooled OHV
1400cc Pushrod
Unlimited Four Stroke Single
Heavyweight:
1400cc Liquid Cooled Multi Valve
1650cc Air Cooled OHV
Unlimited Pushrod

So, multivalve liquid cooled twins are LW (748, 749, SV650, Kawasaki 650 twins). My bike makes it in because it is air cooled and under 1100 cc. The R1200S is also admitted by virtue of being a "pushrod" design.

HW is everything else (bigger Ducati liquid cooled twins like the 1098 and 1199, KTM RC8, RC51, TLR1000 etc). Of course you can enter a LW bike in HW as well, and many (like Bob) do that. The HW class is not very well populated currently and so LW is more competiive.