A* Smx Plus Vs Sidi Vertigo Air

Any opinions on these boots and how they compare? I am leaning toward the Vertigo Air because it is a perf model but i hear the A* has better protection.

But i also hear stories of A* gear not holding up and boots failing in crashes and also normal walking about.Any advice?

I tried both sets of boots chose A*. They felt more well put together to me and the A* fit was (and still is) perfect. My friend swears by his Sidis though. I think it's a preference thing. So if you can, try both. I used Revzilla and just ordered both to send back the ones I didn't want.

The sidi vertigo is good but has a terrifying amount of torsional flex, which means my foot will flex similarly in a crash.The A* multi link system provides better protection but the complex mechanism may break down.

Sorry neither are sold here, can't try them on.

HF which ones do you have? The supertech boots?

I have the Ladies' Stella boot, which might not be what you had in mind for yourself. :)

They fit me perfectly which is a novelty since most full protection road race boots do not come in a size small enough for me. I used to wear the smallest Dianese boot they made but they were at least a size too big and I dragged my toes a lot as a result.

I do have a pair of Sidi offroad boots but I had to go to a youth size to find the proper fit.

I have 2 year old SMX-Plus A* and Sidi Vortice that are a little over 3 years old

I switch between the boots regularly but generally for walking around they both equally squeek and aren't super comfortable but aren't terrible either- so in that regard I feel it is a wash

If I had to choose one pair over the other I would probably choose the A* simply based on most my riding is on the street and they are slightly quicker for on and off

If I was more track oriented I would certainly just wear the Sidi, they are my first grab for every trackday I do, they simply seem to protect better. Although thankfully I have not had the bad fortunate to test either of them in that manner

Just one last note, My Sidi's I had to go with a 44, my A* I had to go with a 43, the sidi's seem to grasp my foot and ankle slightly better as well, regardless how tight I crunch the draw string on the A* for the inner bootie

Not from me, both the boots have faired really well and neither have seemed to wear more than the other

About the only real complaint I have on the A*

the tab at the top of the zipper to hold it up in place to the velcro- it doesn't stick real well so the zipper sometimes rides down an inch or so...I may need to just find a better piece of the one side of velcro?

The A* are warmer than the Sidi's, I really only notice that on the hottest days and in the cold mornings of early spring/late fall, but there is a difference

Well the " Air " model of the vertigo's should serve nicely in the hot climate here.But for the torsional flex of the Sidi, i would very much like to go for them.

The A* superior protection seems to have been the deciding factor.After all, that is the point behind purchasing them.

I have the AStars Supertech which has the inner boot and I have been a big fan (even tested them in anger and they held up well). I switched from a pair of the Sidi Vertigo Air and while I liked them in general, i had an interesting problem develop. The inside ankle armor plate on the Sidi developed a split in the stiching and the heel gaurd on my bike would get caught on that when cornering. First time it happened it almost caused me to go down. I had them repaired twice but it kept reoccoring. The AStars have a smooth inner surface (since the armor is on the inner boot) and its even surfaced for smooth contact with the bike.

They are not as quick to don and doff but for track boots I dont mind that.

• 2 weeks later...

One note from this weekend's track day on the new *5 MILE* full track at Thunderhill. My friend who wears the Sidis had his boot get caught up on his rear set plate. The Sidis have a kind of exoskeleton that managed to snag. The A* boots are really smooth and don't seem to have a place to snag. They also zip on the other side, which I think helps in that regard. Anyway, just a data point we learned.

• 2 weeks later...

I have crash tested both of these boots. A prefer the sidi airs for the grippiness on the pegs and fit, I prefer the a* smx for comfort and walking around. I rode the a*'s for 2yrs with zero issues. I got the sidi's on a killer deal $100!!!! So HAD to try them. This is my second year in them, 1 lowside later, they still look nearly new with just a tad of rash.

Most importantly, both boots did their job of protecting me.