New To Css - Willow Springs Sep 14Th - Level 1

Hello!

I'm a CSS newbie. Very excited to be participating in the level 1 class and meeting cool people.

(Short intro)

My name is Aravind. I've ridden a couple different motorcycles (<200cc) when I lived in India. My first real sport bike was a 2004 GSX-R 600. I had it for about a year, but only got to ride it during the 7 months where Buffalo,NY doesn't look like Alaska :) I moved to the California bay area last year and recently acquired a 2008 Ducati 848. I watched the twist of the wrist videos and realized that I have a lot to learn. Found the nearest available class and signed up.

This will be my first time on a track. I'm getting a hitch installed on my car and am planing on renting a motorcycle trailer from u-haul, but I'm dreading the boring commute from San Francisco to Lancaster. If anyone else here is attending the school on the 14th and can use some company, say hi.

Some questions about the class/track

1. Does it make sense to bring your own fuel? How much is appropriate?

2. How do I get myself photos/videos of myself on the track? Do they have professionals on the track that would do this for a fee?

3. I'm installing new tires on my bike this week. I was planning on commuting ~40mi everyday to break them in a little. Is there a better way to break-in tires?

-Aravind

Welcome to the forums Aravind,

your for sure going to have a blast out there. Streets is a really fun technical track. I will be out there though I wont be attending the school. If you'd like to say hi I'm pretty easy to spot, Green Van, Blue and Red R6. The weather is looking like low 90's for the weekend so be sure and properly hydrate before hand. although I've got a feeling being from India your used to pretty warm temps anyway.

to answer some of your questions,

1: yes you need your own fuel, the track does have gas pumps onsite (credit only) but its rather expensive so bringing your own from a actual gas station is best. You will burn through fuel a bit faster at the track than on the road, I would bet on about a tank and a half for the day. I can sometimes get by on a single tank on my R6 but usually its a tad over one tank, its somewhat dependent on riding style and machine however

2: There is a professional photographer there, If you are certain your going to purchase photos I highly recommend you talk to him in the morning and give him your bike and group #, that way he will give you priority shooting and you'll end up with a few more photos. The school does some video of students for level 3 and at 2 day camps. but aside from that your only chance of video is if a fellow student or perhaps a corner worker with a GoPro ends up behind you for a couple laps. B)

3: that much commuting will be plenty to scrub in your tires, I routinely scrub in new tires with a few sighting laps and a couple easy laps in the morning

Tyler

Welcome Aravind, and come say hello when you get to the track, I'll be there.

Tyler and Fiery are quite correct on the tires. It only takes a few turns to scrub them in, but making sure they warm up a little bit before leaning them to severe lean angle is key. A pro with a warm set of tires just does one lap to scrub them in.

Best,

Cobie

Thank you guys for the warm welcome and for the info. I will definitely come say hi.

@FieryRobot - The bike had the Pirelli Supercorsa tires when I bought it, I read that they don't last very long and have poor traction in wet conditions, so i went with Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa.

Thank you guys for the warm welcome and for the info. I will definitely come say hi.

@FieryRobot - The bike had the Pirelli Supercorsa tires when I bought it, I read that they don't last very long and have poor traction in wet conditions, so i went with Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa.

Excellent. Both are great tires.