Seat Preference

This may seem like a slightly goofy question, but I am curious - what sort of motorcycle seat do you prefer, and why? Do you like a seat that has some cushion, or one that is thin and lightweight? Do you like the seat to be very grippy to improve your lock-on, or slippery so you can easily move from side to side? Have you added a "stop" in the back to support you during acceleration? Made any other modifications for comfort or security? Do you use a stock seat or a race seat?

Let's hear about your seat setup, for whatever types of riding you do!

I like the Super-bike Tail with a race seat setup, the seat foam that came from Armour Bodies is a bit thicker than some of the stuff I've seen on other bikes at the track so it provides a touch more comfort. its super grippy and I really like that, when swapping bikes with fellow riders that have a stock seat and no stomp grips I feel like I have 0 traction on the bike and getting my normal stable lock on is much more difficult.

I don't currently have a bump stop, but I'd like to add one, mostly cause sliding my ass back and forth across the bike is starting to cut a hole in my leathers where it rubs the tail section.

My stock seat at S1000RR was very comfortable for a a supersport bike. I upgrade it with one of the Race Seats. They keep the stock base but they improve the inside and outside material. Its super grippe, as I prefer, and more comfortable than the superbike thin material they put for seat.

I also have the BMW race seat. I like the fact it's taller (more room for my long legs) and is made of a grippy material (more security for hanging off). It's also made of a denser material than the stock seat to get more feedback in the seat of the pants. For my bike weight is not quite as critical because of the power but lighter is always better of course. The BMW seat is also removable with a single bolt which makes it a LOT easier to get the seat off in the event that you need access to the under seat area at the track. The BMW race seat is also taller in the back. Teamed with the grip it's a bit of extra security when you are hard on the power down the straights.

The 2012 (and up) KTM duke 690 (not the 690R) stock seat

pure bliss to my bossoms (comfort)

nice support as it has this half donut angles "stopper" back cusion.

as for grip, i prefer the felt type of seats , its 1/2 grippy and 1/2 luxury in 1 package.

I do 100% street riding thou

pic:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/bikes/8483649/KTM-Duke-has-more-than-single-virtue

as for grip, i prefer the felt type of seats , its 1/2 grippy and 1/2 luxury in 1 package.

pic:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/bikes/8483649/KTM-Duke-has-more-than-single-virtue

I got the powerparts seat for my Duke and like it much more than the stock one. Much easier to move around if you need to, and still comfy to me.

pic:

I got the powerparts seat for my Duke and like it much more than the stock one. Much easier to move around if you need to, and still comfy to me.

duke 390, 690 or 1290?

the 390's stock seat is just horrid... 690r that comes with the powerpart seat isnt as supportive for me (i had access to both a duke 690 AND 690R) , dunno about the 1290

I designed my own seat and had New Image Seats make it from my old frame. The main issue for me was too much accelleration and nothing to stop me from sliding off the back. I made a bolster and taped it to the rear of my stock seat. It does the same job of the "hump" on a Busa but it's soft. The next model I make will have about a half of the bolster behind me so I can get into a tuck more easily. The new one will have a higher profile as I still tend to slide backwards because it's too low. My current design also positions me a little too far forward as I took Keith's personal preference about having a forward position and his instruction that it is always the same too literally. I'm crunched up against the tank too tight. The finish is comfortable and good looking with a carbon fiber style covering which gets a little slippery when polished. I like that feel so I can slide over from one side to the other more easily to hang off but not so slick that I fall off. It would be suitable for someone who wants a more upright casual riding position. The seat back of the new Ninja looks to be the design I was trying to achieve but was not able to see in my minds eye. I'm still happy wih my seat compared to the stock.

post-25517-0-01263300-1418454140_thumb.jpg

I designed my own seat and had New Image Seats make it from my old frame. The main issue for me was too much accelleration and nothing to stop me from sliding off the back. I made a bolster and taped it to the rear of my stock seat. It does the same job of the "hump" on a Busa but it's soft. The next model I make will have about a half of the bolster behind me so I can get into a tuck more easily. The new one will have a higher profile as I still tend to slide backwards because it's too low. My current design also positions me a little too far forward as I took Keith's personal preference about having a forward position and his instruction that it is always the same too literally. I'm crunched up against the tank too tight. The finish is comfortable and good looking with a carbon fiber style covering which gets a little slippery when polished. I like that feel so I can slide over from one side to the other more easily to hang off but not so slick that I fall off. It would be suitable for someone who wants a more upright casual riding position. The seat back of the new Ninja looks to be the design I was trying to achieve but was not able to see in my minds eye. I'm still happy wih my seat compared to the stock.

wow that kinda looks comfy, like a majesty 400's seat to be precise.

• 3 weeks later...

I am not really all that picky and I try to ride fairly light in the saddle anyway. For me, in a perfect world, the seat would be a bit on the slick side to help facilitate a slide across the seat without lifting my bumm to compensate for seat grip. I am fine with gripping with the legs. I would alsp prefer a seat that has some amount of cushion, I simply just don't want all the extra feedback that comes through the seat. Some is fine, too much is not. I get my feeling from center mass, grip on the tank and heals on the swingarm and a little bit through the seat and I am fine with that.

More important for me is the angle of the seat. I feel it's right for me when I have to work to sit up without the seat trying to push me forward, it lets me be more comfortable in the tuck and in cornering position. ie, If I have to work harder to sit up, then I most likely will not have to work as hard to get into a more aggressive riding position.

• 2 weeks later...

A seat related question for the guys - When i get into a full tuck and get my ass all the way upto the stop while in jeans, the seat punishes my nuts quite a bit as the bike goes over rippled surfaces.Is this a jeans only problem or present even when leathers are worn?

Any workaround to this problem?

This may seem like a slightly goofy question, but I am curious - what sort of motorcycle seat do you prefer, and why? Do you like a seat that has some cushion, or one that is thin and lightweight? Do you like the seat to be very grippy to improve your lock-on, or slippery so you can easily move from side to side? Have you added a "stop" in the back to support you during acceleration? Made any other modifications for comfort or security? Do you use a stock seat or a race seat?

My old trackbike has a superbike tail with just some 1/8" foam on it. I never realized how much information it transmits about what the back of the bike is doing until I rode a friend's R6 with a supersport tail (that uses the stock seat). I wasn't pushing it to where the back end was breaking loose, but I never had a good "Feel" for what the rear of the machine was doing.

Now that I own a R6 as well, I'm trying to find a superbike tail for it (it came with Sharkskinz bodywork, but a supersport tail), but may end up taking apart the stock seat, stripping the foam out, and putting a thin bit of foam on it, to get that feel back.

I had never used StompGrip until after taking CSS and experiencing the advantage, and wow.. I can't even ride my streetbike spiritedly without the stuff now! Because of it, I don't feel the seat should be grippy - just enough grip to let your butt stay planted with the one cheek on, but not so much that it grabs your leathers during transitions. :)

My old trackbike has a superbike tail with just some 1/8" foam on it. I never realized how much information it transmits about what the back of the bike is doing until I rode a friend's R6 with a supersport tail (that uses the stock seat). I wasn't pushing it to where the back end was breaking loose, but I never had a good "Feel" for what the rear of the machine was doing.

Now that I own a R6 as well, I'm trying to find a superbike tail for it (it came with Sharkskinz bodywork, but a supersport tail), but may end up taking apart the stock seat, stripping the foam out, and putting a thin bit of foam on it, to get that feel back.

I had never used StompGrip until after taking CSS and experiencing the advantage, and wow.. I can't even ride my streetbike spiritedly without the stuff now! Because of it, I don't feel the seat should be grippy - just enough grip to let your butt stay planted with the one cheek on, but not so much that it grabs your leathers during transitions. :)

Armor Bodies makes a nice superbike tail for the R6. It fits right up nicely.

Benny