New To Forum

Hello, new to forum here. I've been doing track days for the past 2 years (10 track weekends) in Novice, mostly at Barber, and I am considering going for classes this year. I have to do some reading about your classes and how it would work for me if I wanted to go to Barber. If you have any links to suggest that I should start reading, feel free to reply. I am completely new at this.

Some more background (just thought of this), I live in KY so Barber is about 8hrs drive south for me... but I work at San Jose, CA, about 1hr north of Laguna. I have considered doing either one but need to understand the differences between a Laguna class and a Barber class.

Mario

Welcome to the forum Mario.

Material to read, Twist of The Wrist 2 and maybe watch the DVD with the same title. They can be purchased here https://superbikeschool.com/superbikeschool/store/

Classes at Barber fill up quick. Im not sure about Laguna though. The only difference between the classes are the location, material and class levels are the same.

Jeff

Hi and welcome Mario! I'm headed to the 2 day camp at Barber at the end of May - first time there. A place CSS also visits that's closer to you than Barber would be VIR in Danville VA. They just repaved a lot of that course last year and it was pretty amazing to ride in the camp I did last year. Nice, inexpensive places to stay there too. Of course, Laguna should be on anyone's bucket list and if I worked an hour from there I'd be all over that.

Ditto on reading Twist II - a lot of the class is based on the rider tech in the book. Also a lot of Keith's articles here and in Motorcyclist Mag hit on the important points. What do you ride? The reason I ask is that Summit Point is also not terribly far from you for track days with the main course good for liter bikes and the Shenandoah track better for lighter bikes. CSS doesn't go there but there's a fine track day organization there - Motorcycle Excitement by Roger Lyle.

Thanks for the replies. I'll be definitely reading the material you suggested. I would love to be able to attend the May class at Barber but don't know if I'll make it in time, have a lot of things to read about CSS. VIR is in my list as well as Laguna, but looks like I'll have to rent a bike for Laguna due to noise restrictions. I ride an ex-racing GSXR 750, speed is not much of a thrill for me as much as is it technical tracks, that's why I keep going to Barber. I'll probably come back here soon with more questions. I really want to have some formal training, just need to figure out what and when :)

Regardless of where you choose to take the school you get the same great coaching everywhere. Every time I have attended CSS even on a track I know quite well I have been really impressed with the improvement and learning I take away.

Barber is one of my favorites as well for the same reason. It's a very fun track.

Hey csmith, where in KY? VIR sounds really good. I am going to do a bunch of Barbers this year and the May date conflicts with a scheduled trip, so Barber might be out. Are you doing one day thing or the 2-day camp?

I am in between Cincinnati and Lexington but I have no problem traveling to just about any track within 12h each way. My current track love is JenningsGP. I have been twice for a total of 5 riding days in the past 4 months. :) I have went out of my way to pick up many riders along the way to the track as long as it don't double the drive time lol.

Currently, I am planning a 2 day camp at VIR in May. But.... things can change ya know.

Have you ever done a day with CSS? My thought was to do 1 day with my bike to see if it works for me, then go for the 2 day camp at Laguna with their fancy BMWs. I am only an hour away from Laguna and would really like to do it.

Jennings is also in my list! I hear great things about that track. I have friends that are also wanting to go to Jennings, let me know if you ever need someone to share a ride.

No, I have never done a CSS day/2day camp. This will be fixed this year though in May. I was given specific instructions and plan to follow them. lol

If you ever do a Jennings day or weekend lemme know. It's one of my favorite tracks. It's the most laid back track day you will ever do. Heck man... it's so laid back, it's self tech. hahahahah I go every Feb. at least to break up the winter months here in the KY.