You Have To Go Slow To Go Fast

ScrmnDuc

I'm throwing this phrase out to get thoughts from the folks here about what this means to you.

The first time I read the phrase ​"You have to go slow to go fast" was in a book about autocross driving/racing, this was back in the early 80's and I can't remember the name of the book.

For me it's "Time Management"

The other version is "slow is smooth and smooth is fast". I just take it to mean that if you are kind of frantic trying to brake super late and hard, get on the gas early and fight the rear for traction, etc., then you are not going to be able to effectively do the things that really affect your times, like stay on the fastest line and optimize your corner speeds. I've had that experience where I tried to find time with really late braking but then wasn't getting my entry speeds spot on. Doesn't work.

To me... It's a state of mind before you even get on the bike. A reminder to NOT rush anything, ride beyond my comfort, to relax and flow. ie.. to ride "Gracefully". And fyi... not rushing doesn't mean you can't perform the action quickly.

To think of it in a different way... You can only ride as fast as your mind can process what is going on and be able to pre-emptively know for 99% sure what the outcome will be. Once a rider has ran out of that ability to know, they are riding fast to be riding fast vs. riding slow to go fast.

The other version is "slow is smooth and smooth is fast". I just take it to mean that if you are kind of frantic trying to brake super late and hard, get on the gas early and fight the rear for traction, etc., then you are not going to be able to effectively do the things that really affect your times, like stay on the fastest line and optimize your corner speeds. I've had that experience where I tried to find time with really late braking but then wasn't getting my entry speeds spot on. Doesn't work.

This is my take on it, too. I think it is human nature, when "trying to go fast", to charge the corners (entry speed too high) and mess up the rest of the corner and exit speed as a result. Having the mindset to calm down and ride or drive in a controlled way without upsetting the chassis and suspension usually means you go faster, but it feels slower. :)

• 7 years later...

"Going slow to go fast" is an excellent expression. I learned that lesson as a beginning asphalt bike racer. The instructor took me aside within my first hour of being in a free group. He said, "You're going to crash soon if you don't slow down. You're charging the corners and your exit speed sucks. Slow down. You'll go faster."

I did. Everything got smoother. Two years later I had to register as a Pro b/c I finished Top 3 Amateur that season, with three checkered flags.

17 hours ago, Patient45 said:

"Going slow to go fast" is an excellent expression. I learned that lesson as a beginning asphalt bike racer. The instructor took me aside within my first hour of being in a free group. He said, "You're going to crash soon if you don't slow down. You're charging the corners and your exit speed sucks. Slow down. You'll go faster."

I did. Everything got smoother. Two years later I had to register as a Pro b/c I finished Top 3 Amateur that season, with three checkered flags.

Is that where the “patient” in your user name comes from? Being patient and not charging corners? :)

There is a section in Twist II called “Discharging” on this topic, it’s a good read. 

• Like 1