The Low Down On Tank Grips?

Hey Guys,

I am considering getting tank grips for my bike when it is fixed. Could you all tell me what brand you use, how much you paid, how easy it was to install and your experience using it?

Anecdotes regarding others experiences also welcome.Suggestions regarding the best brand also welcome.

I use stomp grips. I first encountered them at CSS and so far they are the most consistently sticky grips I've used. I used some other brand I can't think of before that and it got really smooth pretty quickly. But the SG are still going strong. Only downside: they can actually hurt your leathers a bit. But it's all worth it.

Tech-Spec and StompGrip both get my vote. When the TechSpec set (C3) got ratty, I went with StompGrip. I want to say both were priced in the $50-$60 range. I've also seen people cut neoprene sheets (like the base of a mouse pad) and attach them with 3m spray adhesive.

Both were easy enough to install. I cleaned the tank with rubbing alcohol and positioned them how I liked with the alcohol still wet, squeezing them down. Once they "set" I hit them with a hair dryer for 10mins or so. It helps to have your motorcycle parked in the sun first to give the glue a warm surface to adhere to. I've seen people stick them on a dirty/cold tank only to have them end up on the ground on a hot day. :) Personally, I think the StopGrip has the better adhesive. TechSpec markets theirs as "reusable" but I never tried.

Will i need a hair dryer to install them? Don't have one. :(

Tech Spec apparently can be taken off and re positioned about 8-10 times. There were some people who had air bubbles form under the stompgrip pads. I guess it's all in the install.

I will usually be wearing jeans on the bike. Will it be uncomfortable to ride around on the street with the stompgrips?

Stomp grip has a few different styles of grip profile, the one's I have on my R6 are quite pointy and can be uncomfortable with just pant's on, but the set I have for my FJR are much less aggressive and are just fine with Jean's. I believe the one's on the school's new fleet are a 3rd design of larger volcano's than whats on either of mine.

An air dryer is not required for TechSpec. I installed the current set over the Winter on the 636 in a 40F garage and they are sticking just fine. Like someone mentioned, you can stick and re-stick a few times to make sure you get them set just right. If you do go the TechSpec route, make sure to get the Snake Skin as that is their racing/track day product.

Stroker,

I've used both. Tech Spec got too slippery over time so I went to Stomp grip. Stomp is way grippier and better for high performance riding in leathers, but if you ride mostly in jeans as you say then Stomp can be too harsh, so for you I'd recommend the Tech Spec. For installation follow the directions and have the tank warm. Using the sun for heat should suffice. Also give it a day or two to set before using it if you can, but light riding should be fine if necessary. I hope you & your bike are healing well.

Cheers,

Benny

How about the adhesion promoter kits they say to use with stomp grips. Is that something I should buy or is it not necessary?

• 1 year later...

The newer Super Volcano stomp grips, like to hear how many have tried them, how you like them, or if there is anything out there comparable/as good.

It's about my first upgrade on any bike, and for dang sure if I'm going to ride on track.

Like to hear about others experience.

CF

Stomp Grips adhere VERY well. I've put on 3 sets, having to change due to makeovers. The adhesive Grips right away but I also followed the directions (heat gun) considering they were $50+ a pop! The ones I used didn't require any promoter. They were aggressive when new but after a couple days become comfortable even in jeans.