Newbie To Forums And Track

Hey there everyone,

As you can see by my only one post, I'm new lol.(I will update my profile soon, right now at work) I haven't signed up for the school yet but I certainly plan to before September 13th. Just to give a brief (or as brief as I can) introduction about myself. I am a *cough* 30 something year old rider in Bakersfield. I've been riding sports bikes for couple of years now, but originally started back when I was 18. The first bike I had was 1997 Honda Shadow. I rode that for couple of years before my dad sold it. I planned to get a bike of my own shortly after, but due to horrible proscanation on my behalf, I waited until '12 to get back into it. I finally bought a Yamaha YZF600R, but had lot of problems with it so actual riding was short. I make the mistake of pushing my limit in twisties; The road went left but I went right (too hot). I wasn't hurt too bad aside from torn ligament in my left ankle, which still does bother me now and then. The bike was totaled out, and in turn, got a 2003 Honda CBR600RR. I was little bit more cautious this time around, and went a little too slow in twisties after that (Highway 33, 190, 155, Granite Road (which I had my first wreck)The Snake I have gotten little better or so I thought. I like to record my rides and although I did managed to get a few knee drags in, it was all in the wrong BP. Earlier this year in January, I was coming home from a local twisty road and making a casual 30 MPH left turn, and hit either oil or black ice, which caused a low slide. I had full leather on and I was okay (small dime size road rash) but unfortunately my bike was not. I had frame sliders on it, and it end a curb dead center in the engine, end up being totaled out. A month later I bought my current bike, a 2012 Yamaha R6. I did my first track day just a week ago on Sunday. I loved it, and I had lot fun, even gained more confidence. I recorded only my first and second session which was probably the most horrible speed and body position ever lol. After the third, fourth and half the five session, I did much better and gotten little better with my BP. I am signed up for trackdaz on August 1st, then doing another program called' let's ride' on the 16th, so thankfully when I do go to CSS, i'll have little bit more experience going in. However, I am up to learning anything and everything possible, and being that I heard this school is one of the best, you know I had to sign up, or in this case, soon :D

Hey there and welcome to the forum. If you have questions feel free to ask. There are students like myself and also coaches here to help solve mysteries.

Possibly the best thing that I ever did for my riding was signing up for Level 1 and 2 so many years ago. I always learn so much and gain confidence and experience I have never had before. I'm glad to hear you are considering the school.

Experience never hurts but if you don't have track experience it's not a problem. The first time I ever rode at the track was with the school. The coaches helped me tremendously getting acclimated with an environment that was completely foreign to me.

A group of friends and I do Level 4 every year. Yesterday in fact was the 5th time I have gone through Level 4. What's amazing is regardless of how many times I do the school I pick up really valuable stuff. This year I faced a huge monster for me which was braking. I got on the school's brake bike and experienced the "outer limits" of braking performance. I locked up the front tire and experienced the horror and drama that had always sat in the back of my mind. It was not really that bad. I went right back out on the track and braked deeper into a corner than I ever had before with complete confidence. Amazing stuff!

Hey there and welcome to the forum. If you have questions feel free to ask. There are students like myself and also coaches here to help solve mysteries.

Possibly the best thing that I ever did for my riding was signing up for Level 1 and 2 so many years ago. I always learn so much and gain confidence and experience I have never had before. I'm glad to hear you are considering the school.

Experience never hurts but if you don't have track experience it's not a problem. The first time I ever rode at the track was with the school. The coaches helped me tremendously getting acclimated with an environment that was completely foreign to me.

A group of friends and I do Level 4 every year. Yesterday in fact was the 5th time I have gone through Level 4. What's amazing is regardless of how many times I do the school I pick up really valuable stuff. This year I faced a huge monster for me which was braking. I got on the school's brake bike and experienced the "outer limits" of braking performance. I locked up the front tire and experienced the horror and drama that had always sat in the back of my mind. It was not really that bad. I went right back out on the track and braked deeper into a corner than I ever had before with complete confidence. Amazing stuff!

Thanks for the greeting :). I have no doubt I'll definitely learn stuff just from reading some of the other topics, or at least get a idea anyway. For example, the added lean while still on throttle part. I knew it wasn't a good idea to do that, but the explanation on how it would cause basically lost of tire grip made sense. Although I've been working on just stopping the roll on if I have to add more lean, I found myself rolling off completely at times. Live and learn and that's what I am here for :). As for the level, yeah I don't mind if I have to do a level 1 times over even if over a year. It's all about learning and putting that into use :)

Also, I don't mind since I am not here for spam, but how long does the 'moderator queue' last? Also, I tried to upload a picture but it wouldn't work for whatever reason.

Also, I don't mind since I am not here for spam, but how long does the 'moderator queue' last? Also, I tried to upload a picture but it wouldn't work for whatever reason.

Rog;

Your posting privileges have been cleared so you are free to post at will. Typically the second post of a new member is when the Moderator Preview is removed.

Welcome to the Forum.

Rainman

Rog,

Don't worry much about the Levels. Level's 1-3 introduce you to most of the information and the drills. Level 4 is more open where your coach works with you to solve individual problems. Repeating levels because you did not get something is not really necessary. I can't tell you the number of times I have worked on Level 1 drills in Level 4.

There's tons of great information around here. From time to time I'll even check out some of the older topics just for fun. Always an enlightening read. One of my favorite sections is Articles By Keith where you often see concepts and topics that aren't covered in the books.

Rog,

...I can't tell you the number of times I have worked on Level 1 drills in Level 4.

Rog;

I shared rchase's opinion for a number of years and did what he does with Level IV. I think it was the year I got my racing license that I found myself stuck on a plateau as the season started to draw to a close. So when a seat opened up at the Sonoma (aka Sears Point) School in the fall, I decided to start over. I decided to repeat Levels I II & III in a short time period. I didn't realize how many pieces of each level I had lost touch with, small details that came back into much clearer focus when I retook the first three levels. I am not disputing rchase's approach here because it works for him and many many other students. I am not a quick study so going back was a huge eye opener for me. YRMV.

Rainman

That's the most interesting part of all of this. Some of the most important stuff you learn are "basics" that you get in Level 1 and Level 2. Thanks for that idea Kevin to keep in the back of my mind if I find myself in a similar situation. :)

Thank you for the replies so far :). I'm still trying to get my picture to work but sooner or later, I'll get it figure out lol. In terms of the levels, yeah I am going to take my time with each one to I know I can be %100 effective in each level, or at least as close as possible, before going to the next one. If I were to take level 1 for 10 years straight, so be it :D (hopefully I won't be stuck in it for that long lol).