Just Bought A New S1000Rr

Just bought a New S1000RR at my BMW Dealer, would be delivered until next year 03/16.

Dynamic Package

Race Package

Forged Tires

My Purpose here is to get advice, knowledge and valuable information how top riders like you would set the S1000RR up and also share my experience How i really decided to set it up with pictures, data, information….

My Purpose of the S1000RR is:

To Win and Dominate the BMW S1000RR Advanced Cup in Europe with limited resources (Money).

(Germany, Slovakia, CZ…) (Drivers with Licenses are driving in the S1000RR Pro Cup). (Advanced Cup = never owned a license, Amateurs)

What I am thinking of Building the Bike up:

HP Race Power Kit

RCK2

Reverse Gear Shift System

Data Logging? (Sensors needed?)

Short Stroke Throotle needed?

Gilles/HP Footpegs?

Let me know your thoughts about it and how you would build up your BMW S1000RR for this kind of purpose.

Love to here from you.

Best regards

Roland from Austria

Congratulations. I don't know the S1000RR, but there are no shortage of people who do, so I'm sure you'll get lots of good input :)

Kai

I'll give you my 2 cents...

Definite yes on reverse shift pattern. On the newer bikes it is really easy, you just make a little change on the shift rod end, takes no time at all and costs nothing.

Short stroke throttle - in my opinion, not needed on this bike, plus since the throttle is fully electronic and tied to a LOT of sensors in the bike, it may not even be possible. You need to have fine control of the throttle, this thing has oodles of power, so I wouldn't even consider that short stroke throttle unless you have a physical difficulty turning the standard throttle all the way.

Footpegs - this is personal preference. Definitely you can get pegs that have more grip than the stock ones (and that would be wise for racing), plus rigid pegs could help with crash protection. Whether they are adjustable, and how much adjustment you have, is also personal preference depending on your height, leg length, flexibility, etc. Personally I think the Gilles and HP Parts rearsets have the coolest looking and most flexible adjustment, they are really neat, but it would be smart to do a little research on how they do in crashes - is there a sacrificial part (inexpensive) that breaks off so the rearsets aren't destroyed in a crash? Or, are they so sturdy that they will not break?

California Superbike School also has new ergonomic footpegs that are grippy and have a larger support surface for your foot, they allow easier positioning of the foot in corners without losing grip, definitely check into those, they are very cool. Gilles makes them. Here is a link:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1162250413791316.1073741846.438993456117019&type=3

Yes on the Race Power Kit, if you can swing it, you need to get rid of the catalytic converter anyway (do you have those in Europe?) so you'll need an exhaust, why not use the one that BMW recommends? Saves a lot of time researching and experimenting with other options.

The data logger is awesome if you have the funds and are interested in really analyzing your riding and the bikes performance, and once you start doing that you'll start wanting the HP Race Calibration Kit to start tweaking things (like the DTC response). It is also nice to be able to change the adaptation values that the bike learns, resetting them when you change components, etc.

And if you have any money left after that...custom paint job? :)

OOOH! I came to check the forums and I found this awesome topic!

If you have the funds all of the upgrades you mentioned are worth doing. With one exception. The quick turn throttle. I agree with Hotfoot. You don't really need it on this bike. It's amazingly easy to pin. I have a friend who holds a few lap records and his bike has stock throttles and brake pads.

One other thing. The RCK2 is for Gen2 bikes. If you are going with a 2015+ model you would want the RCK3. The dealer would likely pick this up but it was worth mentioning.

The HP rearsets are worth every penny in their quality and range of adjustment. They are made by Gilles tooling and the foot peg itself is quite similar in design to other Gilles Rearsets so you may be able to go to them for a replacement peg if needed. For racing it would be worthwhile exploring replacement parts ahead of time in the event of a tip over.

Here are some other things to look at.

Bike Protection. Case guards, Frame Sliders and Axle Sliders. I went with Woodcraft for both of my bikes. High quality stuff with amazing support and replacement parts available. Their rear axle sliders double as swing arm spools and they are nice and chunky and make it easy to get the bike on the rear stand.

Racing Accessories. You were probably going to do these anyway but it's worth a mention. I was going to go out and spend big bucks on the Chicken Hawk warmers and Pittbull stands that are popular here with the racers. I had to swap out a set of wheels at the track and picked up a set of MotoD stands and was impressed with their quality and price point. They actually make it easier to lift the bike and take up less space in the back of my car. I have two sets now and don't even want Pitbulls. Their tire warmers are also a great value for what you get. Go with all of their Pro line stuff. It's not that much more expensive than their economy stuff and it's all great.

On the Calibration kit and Race ECU. I would suggest you do the following for your own understanding of the system. Take delivery of the bike without these installed initially and go do a track day with the bike. Ride normally until you get your bearings and try all the modes. One mode in particular I find super helpful and you will be really surprised to hear what it is. Rain mode. It's the most restrictive mode the bike has. It's a great way to understand how the system works and to "feel it" interacting. I did a track day where I intentionally stayed in Rain mode and started riding beyond the limits of the mode. It provided me a lot of insight as to how the system worked when I reviewed the data. Make sure you have warm tires for Race and Slick. Once you get the feel for the bike with it's standard configuration in all the modes then get your Race ECU installed. Just a helpful warning. Be cautious. I borrowed a friends Race ECU equipped bike and was riding cautiously because it was not my bike. I was really surprised when the front wheel jumped off the ground. The Race ECU is not just about the power. It allows the electronics on the bike to be less restrictive.

Here's a video you will find helpful. This is for Gen2 bikes but the Gen3 bikes are the same only better.

From what I understand the key is for the RCK3. The race ECU itself has to be installed by the BMW dealer and is VIN coded to the bike. The Key unlocks the RCK3 functionality inside the ECU. Without the unlock key you don't have the ability to change the values with the RCK3 software. You still get all of the race ECU base data.

Something that's worth keeping in mind. On the Race ECU it's really important to work with an authorized HP parts dealer that's an actual BMW dealership. There are companies out there that are selling Race ECU's and Unlock keys with varying degrees of success. There's more than a few not very happy customers of the 3rd party suppliers. I won't name names but these companies are pretty well known in the BMW forums.