Video Showing Where Rider Was Looking

Dylan Code

These are video clips of a rider wearing gaze tracking glasses while riding. The glasses track the movements of the pupils and is overlaid on video showing what the person is looking at. The circle moving in the frame indicates where the rider was looking. An experienced rider was chosen, who was wearing a backpack containing a laptop to record all the data. Additionally an open-faced helmet was used, as the special glasses would not fit inside a normal full-faced helmet. Wind and vibration cause the tracking to jump around, however a general sense of where this rider was looking is achieved.

I would love to see something like this incorporated into the school. Imagine this and the camera bike together.

Minor issues aside I'm completely impressed.

As technology evolves one day we might see this inside a full face helmet. Imagine being able to "see" your visual problems and know exactly what's getting your attention? It probably won't be long either. I remember hearing about the school riding around the track with video decks trying to get footage for some of their original films. Now virtually everyone has an action cam on their bikes.

What's even more impressive than the video is the school's dedication over the years to exploring cutting edge technology that can help people learn. Keep up the good work! :)

+1 to rchase's comments: sure it's preliminary, but everything has to go through the preliminary & testing phase before it becomes fully productized.

Interesting to think that this could be a pair of goggles that you slip on inside your helmet (possibly with a thin wire down to a recorder/battery pack).

• 3 weeks later...